In Honor Of The Late Whackjob....

NASAFanboy

It's his enthusiasm mostly that catches people. He doesn't give up on his insane constructs until he's absolutely certain there's no way to get it to do what he wants it to do.

To put it another way, Don Quixote is clinically insane and delusional, and yet still an inspiration. I'm never going to even think of trying to build the things Whackjob has… but I still get a kick out of seeing them (even when my personal style is exactly the opposite - what's the smallest[i/] mission to Duna I can manage, etc.)

How I imagine Whack's Day Night-Cycle.

Getting up early:

Launching the Rocket he build last Night.

After an one-hour breakfeast:

Doing a Gravity-Turn

After 8 hours of Work:

Jettison the external Boosters and doing a Circularization Burn

After everything fell apart:

Redesigning until late Night.

if no one minds my asking,

what exactly happened to Whackjob?

My computer heralded the clearing of launch clamps by a ship with a little over six thousand parts with a puff of mystic blue smoke, leavened by a touch of ozone. She's dead, Jim. I can now only internet while I office. And then mostly only during breaks.

But new machine put together soon! Hopefully! And I got a processor with a higher individual core clock speed and over-clock-able. So maybe when back, more bigger parts launching happens.

In honor of MR, whack I give him my omega Launcher....The most whackjobian creation i am willing to build ( Any bigger Im positive my computer will slap me in the face, call jeb, run away, and then an SRB lands on my house piloted by you know who. :)

Awesome! I love that you had a rocket, launching something inside the fairing, which turns out to be another rocket! It's like the Kerbals discovered Matryoshka dolls!

Edited by Whackjob

Awesome! I love that you had a rocket, launching something inside the fairing, which turns out to be another rocket! It's like the Kerbals discovered Matryoshka dolls!

I made a rocket, which I called the Christmas Rocket, which used KW and Procedural Fairings. It was a cylinder, and about half-fairings. Inside those fairings nested another rocket smaller but identical to the first, being half-fairings. On and on for five stages more, until a Probodyne Q-BE popped out the top.

My closest thing to anything Whackjob makes:

Nice! I've made custom boosters that look sort of like that. I like clustered engines! If you put med trusses on the outside, attach the engines there, through a mainsail in the bottom center, then rotate the trusses...

FT8ORvq.png

Boosting happens. With vigor.

Craziest booster I ever made had thirteen mainsails under one stack of rockomax-32s. Trussing them on and rotating them so they'd clip was easy. Keeping the stack above from shredding from insane compressive forces was not.

BZEs5ZE.png

(I believe there were only 8 engines that test?)

WHACKY! your back!

HA thanks!

ya that top part can pretty much go to any planet and come back if done correctly, she has been my jool craft for the past 5 launches, but she has taken me to duna, ike, dres, and gilly.

I use FAR and DRE so that big fat fairing between the escape rocket and the tug is an inflatable heat sheild, and thous small engines with fuel lines to them on the universal lander are the deorbit engines. Thous burn up on reentry or if the body doesn't have an atmosphere, get lost in space. :)

But in all honestly (and no offense by the way) Whack jobs like the village idiot, hes just fun to watch. I really don't think we should praise him as a god just because he has more patience then us, and has a thing for the absurd. That's my $00.02

Edited by Tidus Klein

My half-assed Whackjob tribute - of course my inferior engineering skills resulted in it exploding within two seconds of launch. That and I was apparently attacked by the Roc. I presume it's a relative of the Kraken.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by parameciumkid
I have verified that spoiler tags are NOT back. Sorry, I know the image is big!

My half-assed Whackjob tribute

Nothing half-arsed about it. A great build! I don't recognize some of what's on there, but I see big booms! :D

My latest creation in the category 'go nuts or go home':

I'm jealous! I've tried once or twice to do a can-ring like that, and I could never get them to form up right and stay rigid.

Ah-ha. I've seen them before, used like that, and never realized they were tail booms. I figured they were some custom sort of rocket motor plus self-fairing. I know they only connect on the wide end... so I'm trying to figure out how they're being connected in like that. I do like how the narrow point is above a good distance... would make for good reinforcement with struts.

"So ... BEAUTIFUL! They should have sent a poet..."

:D

I'm jealous! I've tried once or twice to do a can-ring like that, and I could never get them to form up right and stay rigid.

Whackjob jealous? Wow, I didn't expect that.

Check my signature for how I build my circular stations. (Current technique has not yet been covered in the tutorial)

My god, Tex, That's pretty impressive!

I know. :wink:

I wanna see how he launched it! Truss method?

I wasn't launched the conventional way. Launching anything like that is nearly impossible.

I 'launched' it in a single piece with Extraplanetary Launchpads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.