Beginner in mods ask a suguestion

Paolino

KW rocketry is good if you want bigger fuel tanks and engines, or just better-looking ones.

thanks a lot... wow they are a lot :D I was looking for a suggestion about a "pack" of those adds on for a beginner in adds on :D

Beyond parts there are great plugins that will make the stock game a bit more fun. Some ones I like:

1. Kerbal Alarm Clock - so you can warp safely

2. Chatterer - adds nice chatter and Sound effects

3. Docking Port Alignment indicator - helps with docking immensely

4. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - cures rocket wobble

5. Kerbal Attachment System - EVA toys

You wont get around reading up on the mods you may want to use, so ... it is all the same. Look at the list, take a pick, read the description if it is something you want to add to your game and get started. :wink:

The mods in the Library are all pretty safe to use. I currently have 44 installed and running with no problem (yikes didn't realize it was that many!). You should know that KSP has a memory limit and that exceeding this limit (huge mods, lots of mods, lots of ships, graphics settings too high, etc.) will cause KSP to crash ingame or even prevent loading. When you encounter these problems install and run Active Texture Management.:D

Yeah, I'd echo some of the entries off of the list:

Simple utilities:

Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock as simple "utilities", no new parts, just good fun.

Almost-stock parts:

KSPX will unlock more creativity without changing game balance at all -- the mod builder got hired and her work is slowly becoming stock.

Procedural parts:

Stretchy SRB's

Procedural Fairings

Procedural Wings

(These basically let you connect an object, such as a fuel tank or a wing, and use "drag" controls to drag them to different sizes.)

Ubiozor's welding is similar, it lets you weld two existing objects into one object, reducing your part count

If you want to change game play, that's where the real fun begins, and here are my recommendations:

Aerodynamic Update:

Ferram Aerospace Research -- FAR gives you a realistic drag model; you will need to build UP instead of WIDE.

Required:

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement -- The realistic drag model makes KJR critical, so that you don't get destroyed by increasing wobble.

Procedural Wings -- The stock "wings" just won't get it done for you with FAR; you'll need Procedural Wings.

Either Procedural Fairings or KW Rocketry -- For any non-aerodynamic payload, you'll need fairings. There are some very good ones in KW Rocketry, or Procedural Fairings if you want more flexibility.

Optional:

Deadly Re-entry -- introduces heat shields for atmospheric re-entry, plus some cool effects even for those vehicles that survive.

Kerbal ISP Difficulty Slider -- reduced aerodynamic drag from FAR makes the game "easier". I don't mind, as my difficulties tend to come from width instead of weight, but some people like to adjust the efficiency of engines back down to "stock equivalent".

Remote Tech

Remote Tech 2 -- introduces the concept of "communications link"; you must maintain a link to your probes, and your commands take the speed-of-light time to get there. Makes for plenty of good "missions" as you work through setting up satellite networks for the major SOI's you want to explore, such as Kerbin, Jool, and Eve -- plus new "kerbal" ways for your satellites to die. :D

Better than Starting Manned

Better than Starting Manned, Deadly Re-entry -- completely redesigned tech tree with a focus on game balance rather than on the "new player experience". Warning - does not support other mods such as FAR, etc.

Edited by Amaroq

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.