Engine Replace Unit �Technology Demonstrator】

To increase the efficiency of KSC and promote the mini size laythe travelling crafts, we decide to develop an engine replace unit.

By replace R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine with LV-N Atomic Rocket Motor on orbit, we could highly increase the endurance of mini size SSTO and Space Plane.

Bfpz2xI.png

This is our test plane, mini size space plane, full capability of LKO travel. But to fly to laythe, even with refuel, it is impossible.

FCgZGHW.png

146BBV6.png

1st, docking;

VMkBDhs.png

uEdbAnG.png

2nd, engine picker pick R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine and dock it on the engine holder;

OCQkIdo.png

whJfs44.png

3rd, engine picker pick LV-N and mount it on the craft.

60xkOQw.png

4th, engine picker return to position, craft is ready to go.

LnJ6SB8.png

With LV-N engine and refuel, this mini-size plane has a ÃŽâ€V more than 2600m/s, full capability of laythe travel.

Further development for airfoil replacement will coming soon.

Edited by flywlyx

I've got something similar for my SSTO's when I want to give a craft interplanetary capability without having it lug a nuke into orbit every time it takes off. The big difference on mine is that the nuke also has the in-line radial docking port, because I use an RCS tug to attach and detach the engines while the SSTO is docked at the fueling stations.

Edited by JDCollie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.