Unity texture exporter sucks a bit?

I use GIMP and I'm working with TGAs.

When I have Unity export my models, I use the Compressed TGA option for textures, but those textures are slightly larger than GIMP Compressed TGAs, and they look a lot worse too.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Right now I keep having to overwrite the exported TGAs with my own originals.

I don't know that you are doing anything wrong. Unity is an interesting beast. Obviously you are wanting to save on file size with the TGA. I haven't tried that, as I have always used the MBM format (simply because Squad does so). I've not had any problems with MBM. Interestingly, .tga origins are in video, rather than still images. The problem you describe may be occurring if Unity is using a lossless compression scheme like PackBits or such. The problem is that said compression is geared for simple graphics (think, generated characters and graphics in video) more so than for photographic images. Since that form of compression is probably lossless, you get the larger file size (edit: and worse looking results).

...lossless...

Well. Lossless compression would result in larger files, but it should look better no?

That's what made me wut. because it's both larger and worse looking.

When I zoom into the Unity exported texture it looks badly compressed and lossy

When I zoom into the GIMP exported texture it looks nice and lossless.

Well, KSP does usually compress non-normal maps to DXT at runtime. They apparently forgot to do so when loading TGA files.

I don't like TGA as well, since it doesn't seem supported by neither Unity's WWW nor Image.FromStream. Doesn't look like the intended image format...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.