B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Yeah it's the abort button, it's a bit too similar to the ASET imo but there aren't that many ways you can design it really, it needs a rotating cover, I considered sliding but that means the prop takes 2x as much space, though I'm using lock release buttons to open the cover not a manual toggle of it.

Been agonizing over it's design for weeks, it's a tricky one because there are no real-life analog really.

Closest I can find in reality is heavy machinery emergency stop:

http://www.silvaflame.com/sites/default/files/images/Emergency-stop-1.jpg

It's a big red button but because it's supposed to be easy to use it doesn't have a cover.

And the shuttle's destruction system:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/c6/shuttle-flight-termination-.jpg

Those are just common covered switches, doesn't look nice at all, and it's in the control center as far as I can recall, not in the shuttle.

My idea for the abort button is for it to be easy to hit since it's large, but you need to push both lock release buttons first, during a sensitive stage of flight (like on launch) you can pre-arm it by unlocking the cover and hit the button if something goes wrong. I know a big button isn't hugely realistic but it's a game, we need a bit of a balance between realism and fun. Big red buttons are fun.

May be it would help.

lm_abort_abortstage_button.jpg

Edited by Meltafire

Any updates on the B9 thing?

400 posts worth aren't enough for you? XD

That's tiny though, something that small doesn't really work in KSP, partially because it would be very hard to use and because there aren't enough buttons in KSP + RPM to fill a panel like that.

Edited by K3|Chris

My original mod doesn't quite fit the new rules, and it's only really useful for a couple more days, so I removed it.

Some more detail on the abort button:

n6WwP44.png

UY3T35s.png

The cutout on the front will be transparent (I've hidden the (but with some pattern or overlaid paint to make it clear you can't push the button through it). White ABORT will be on the middle of the button will be visible through the clear part of the cover, the idea is that you can see what the button is for and that there is a button behind the cover.

I feel a bit guilty about the 216 polygons but eh, shouldn't be too many, just my old-school UT99 polygon limitations mindset kicking in.

Edited by K3|Chris

Nice nice, but really 216 tris?

Thanks, and no more like 450 triangles, I don't triangulate all the surfaces, usually leave it at quad (a flat side on a box is one quad instead of 2 tris)

BTW, does KSP handle models well that are not closed, I mean open edges?

Just fine, though avoid where they can be seen for obvious reasons, back of the base is open because it will be flush against a dashboard/wall/etc, saves 2 triangles.

Everything else is closed though because the cover spins open, can't hide missing polygons that well.

UV mapping this bad boy will take a while...

Edited by K3|Chris

Thanks, and no more like 450 triangles, I don't triangulate all the surfaces, usually leave it at quad (a flat side on a box is one quad instead of 2 tris)

Unity triangulates them already at the import so yeah for working quads are best.

Just fine, though avoid where they can be seen for obvious reasons, back of the base is open because it will be flush against a dashboard/wall/etc, saves 2 triangles.

Everything else is closed though because the cover spins open, can't hide missing polygons that well.

UV mapping this bad boy will take a while...

Haha yeah unwrapping is really a hell of a Job :)

That is why I normally use mutliple softwares for diffrent stages of content creation.

Looking great, although I'd recommend to up the thickness of the glass, shapes that thin don't play well with limited resolution, causing flicker that is hard to anti-alias.

Looking great, although I'd recommend to up the thickness of the glass, shapes that thin don't play well with limited resolution, causing flicker that is hard to anti-alias.

Yeah, though I'm considering just putting the glass as one double-sided polygon with the same pattern mirrored on both sides to give the illusion of a volumetric object, I'll have to see how that looks in-game. But there shouldn't be flicker because the 2 polygons face 180 degrees from each other right?

Yeah, though I'm considering just putting the glass as one double-sided polygon with the same pattern mirrored on both sides to give the illusion of a volumetric object, I'll have to see how that looks in-game. But there shouldn't be flicker because the 2 polygons face 180 degrees from each other right?

opposite facing faces won't z-fight; but where the edges of glass meets the frame there might be some z-fighting

opposite facing faces won't z-fight; but where the edges of glass meets the frame there might be some z-fighting

But if I make the glass only 2 overlapping faces facing 180 from each other it should be fine right? the glass won't have 6 sides as you'd expect, only 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and shuffled some of the recent updates to OP, seems people didn't realize it was on page 40 :P

But if I make the glass only 2 overlapping faces facing 180 from each other it should be fine right? the glass won't have 6 sides as you'd expect, only 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and shuffled some of the recent updates to OP, seems people didn't realize it was on page 40 :P

yeah should be fine. I got it the same way on my RPM prop screen to fake holographic look. Small gap would help with sense of thickness when seen from sides; but in IVA the pov is pretty restricted.

Man i'm looking forward to the new b9 update. :D

This looks great ! Is there a download or should this be in Add-on Development ?

Thread started out as a release thread for my mod that added more IVAs to the B9 parts (crew tanks) shifted purpose after I got rolled into the b9 team to instead overhaul the IVAs as a whole, that's why it's in this forum.

Any chance in getting more info about the new HX parts?

A bit hard to put their sheer scale into words, this might help:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yeah, this new HX series will be awesome for interplanetary voyages and it'll also be awesome to be able to dock space craft inside. I'm definitely going to have to try to use this alongside KSP Interstellar (compiled for 0.24, unless an update has come out). I'm so excited for the long overdue update to B9 Aerospace. Good work guys!

So B9 Aerospace is being updated?! Woooohoo!!!! From the wording in the OP, it also sounds very soon.... :)

I can just imagine the space stations I'll be able to build with those massive HX parts! I'm excited about the tweakables too - that'll clear up a ton of clutter. I may be wrong, but I'm almost suspecting that even with all the extra parts, B9 parts will now take up less space in the editors than the previous version!

Thread started out as a release thread for my mod that added more IVAs to the B9 parts (crew tanks) shifted purpose after I got rolled into the b9 team to instead overhaul the IVAs as a whole, that's why it's in this forum.

A bit hard to put their sheer scale into words, this might help:

http://imgur.com/a/pSGsm

Interesting, is there a specific purpose in mind or do we have to use our imagination. Also are we getting any cargo bays larger then the current HL bays that wont fit much more then 2.5m tanks?

So B9 Aerospace is being updated?! Woooohoo!!!! From the wording in the OP, it also sounds very soon.... :)

Days away, want a bit more polish on some of the IVA elements.

I may be wrong, but I'm almost suspecting that even with all the extra parts, B9 parts will now take up less space in the editors than the previous version!

I think that's correct, a lot of parts have been merged into the same entry.

Interesting, is there a specific purpose in mind or do we have to use our imagination. Also are we getting any cargo bays larger then the current HL bays that wont fit much more then 2.5m tanks?

HX fits HL size spaceplanes, so...

Edited by K3|Chris