An option to change the root part

I was designing my first-ever Apollo style LM/CM configuration just a while ago. I set up the LM (or rather, the MM) the way I wanted but I had to test it to make sure it worked. Kerbal Engineer was useless in this case because the MM was inline and under the CM.

I managed to work around it by saving the MM as a subassembly and then putting a probe body on it, but I think an option or a shortcut to change a ship's root part would be veeeery helpful (if possible!).

I don't think it would be easy, and changing it could become a mess for the player. Currently you just can do it by removing the other parts and select a new root.

I think the current way is simple to understand and easier for the game to work with.

If you aren't opposed to using another mod, there has been one around for a while that does just that: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43208-0-22-Oct17-SelectRoot-Set-a-new-root-part-0-22-fixes

Seeing that sort of functionality as stock would be nice. I have yet to use that mod, but there are times where it would be extremely handy instead of awkwardly rebuilding half of my craft just to have a new root part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.