[1.2.2](Dec10/16) Action Groups Extended: 250 Action Groups, in-flight editing. Now kOS/RemoteTech

Diazo

In the editor, click the AGX button on the toolbar to show the KSP default action groups editor with those groups.

In flight, there is no way to do so. Is that something you actually want to see? I did not include those because those are things I did not expect people to want to change after leaving the editor.

D.

Brakes definetely, on my spaceplanes I do want to toggle certain gear pairs depending on the situation: disable brakes in the front for airstrip landing, but use all brakes while standing still. Gears probably as well for more complicated lander/base designs.

Maybe I'm just one of few people that actually use the preset groups for a lot of stuff and I'd want to change them just as much as any other control group after leaving the editor.

It's not a big deal to add flight support for them, the biggest issue is just where to display them.

They need slightly different handling so just adding them as a few more numbered groups won't work.

I'll look into it.

D.

It's not a big deal to add flight support for them, the biggest issue is just where to display them.

They need slightly different handling so just adding them as a few more numbered groups won't work.

I'll look into it.

D.

I know i wouldn't mind. Always forget to put lights on the lights group, so then have to add them to another one. Not a big deal though.

Version 1.5 Test Release

Version 1.15 can be found here.

Note that while I am not aware of any issues, it is too late tonight to perform a full set of tests and as I am not around tomorrow I figured I would release this version as it has a couple features I know people looking forward to.

If there are no reported issues and my own tests are okay, I'll push this to full release on Saturday.

Change log:

-Tweak Render settings to try and resolved mod conflict that sometimes causes AGX to disapear on mouse down.

-Fix loading of actions for Spaceplanes when a Spaceplane and a Rocket have the same name.

Note that this only works on the KSP runway, players that use mods to spawn spaceplanes elsewhere (such as Exoplanetary Launchapds) must ensure the plane they are spawning does not have the same name as an existing rocket as due to KSP limitations I can not tell the difference between a plane and a rocket away from the runway.

-Add ability to edit actions on Abort/Brake/Gear/Light action groups in flight mode. (Editor still uses KSP default editor for these groups.)

The groups window now has an 'Other' button between the Auto-Hide and 1 buttons. Click this to edit the Abort/Brake/Gear/Lights action groups.

Same behavior as the rest of the mod, click a part and action to add it exactly the same as a numbered action group.

Assigned actions are listed in the Groups window however, but it is still click to remove them as normal.

As always, comments are appreciated.

D.

hey

I was working on my asteroid space station when I came across some bugs. I had a KSO Shuttle near the station (not docked!) and a tow vehicle which docked and undocked from the station (moving and adding new station modules) and the action groups got all messed up. After some docking and undocking all the names and even actions were removed. When deorbiting the KSO shuttle I noticed it didn't have the group names any more. After reassigning some of the names I warped time and suddenly the names disappeared again.

I got lots of those messages:

AGX actsToCompare.count != 1 2

The game actually stopped working (getting NullRefs when trying to change scene) and there are also some other errors in the log, which i have no idea where they are coming from...

The station is called "First Catch" and the KSO Shuttle "KSO Large ScienceLab".

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0skpera9bcjvn4/2014_09_13-1911.zip?dl=0 (I think the station requires at least KSO, Tals Cargo Bays, IR, KAS and DMagic's Science)

I'm still having the same problem. The action groups are in the editor, but when I launch they are empty again. Over and over, even renaming ships, with your latest 1.5 test release. When I revert to editor, they look populated again.

.... Well now I feel more than a little bit dumb. Just did a KSP update and a plugin update as well after a few month hiatus, and now I've just spent several hours running video RAM tests, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, and doing file verifications because of that yellow/black checkermark thingie that appears over a selected part on the in-flight interface. I thought I was getting texture corruption, I didn't realized that it was supposed to look like that now. :head->wall:

You might want to change it out for something that looks a little less like an error. Something more akin to this, maybe?

That being said, I love this plugin. Love it love it love it :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@SMILIE: This message (AGX actsToCompare.count != 1 2) is an error trap that means that when trying to load an action, two possibilities were found. This error trap is then supposed to handle it so there is no problems so the fact that it caused you to be unable to change scenes is disenheartening.

The probably cause is that the KSO shuttle is naming its actions in a way I don't expect, I'll take a look and add the exception code it needs.

@cttw: Okay, I am at a total loss, I don't even have a guess what is happening. Can you load the game, cause the error and exit and then send me the player.log file (you are on linux right?) as well as zipping up your game in the KSP_Install\Saves\GameName folder and send it to me please? I'll take a look and see if I can find what is causing actions to vanish on you.

@CCraigen: It only appears on mouse-over an action or part correct? Just selecting a part should not cause it to appear. I can certainly modify the icon, I based the current one of the Center of Mass indicator. I'll think on it and see what my options are.

Keep that feedback coming.

D.

edit: Gah, how the hell did that slip through? Currently Time Warp is borked. If you timewarp any changes since last save are lost, trying to get a hotfix out tonight.

Edited by Diazo

I'm still having the same problem. The action groups are in the editor, but when I launch they are empty again. Over and over, even renaming ships, with your latest 1.5 test release. When I revert to editor, they look populated again.

I'm having a similar problem with AGE 'forgetting' assignments. It's gotten me wondering if maybe wiping the AGE configs in the save so they can be rebuilt from scratch instead of as an update from older versions might be beneficial. At worst it would lost current presets but if it fixes the problems it's worth it. :)

I'm having a similar problem with AGE 'forgetting' assignments. It's gotten me wondering if maybe wiping the AGE configs in the save so they can be rebuilt from scratch instead of as an update from older versions might be beneficial. At worst it would lost current presets but if it fixes the problems it's worth it. :)

When you upgraded from 1.12 (or older) to 1.13 (or newer) version that should have wiped everything out as you are describing.

Can I get the same from you please Jeffrey? THe output_log.txt and a copy of your Save folder? I'm fishing for causes on what could be happening here and the more information I can get my hands on the better.

D.

Version 1.15a

Hotfix to save/load data on timewarp correctly.

Note that as a workaround AGX is disabled while timewarp is engaged (all mod windows will dissapear). This is NOT how timewarp is supposed to work and is a band-aid to make sure data save/loads correctly until I can fix the underlying issue.

Download here

Note this will not affect the issue of actions not loading correctly on flight start, I am still trying to track that bug down.

D.

Edited by Diazo

When you upgraded from 1.12 (or older) to 1.13 (or newer) version that should have wiped everything out as you are describing.

Can I get the same from you please Jeffrey? THe output_log.txt and a copy of your Save folder? I'm fishing for causes on what could be happening here and the more information I can get my hands on the better.

D.

Anything that will help :) I just happened to have had a situation come up after setting up all the AGE sets, saving the ship (Service Spaceplane), exited the SPH then went back in and loaded the ship. Interestingly all the names were saved for the action buttons but the actions themselves were no longer set. This wasn't in loading a flight as cctw noted but it might be related.

output_log.txt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/31f92l1u0cuk9tb/output_log.txt?dl=0

saves folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7e9a56lnocp0p5/saves.zip?dl=0

Yes, it's only appearing on mouseover of the part in the AGE window. The feature is working exactly like it should (as far as I can tell), I think my brain was just expecting the purple highlight effect and when I got a checkerboard instead, I just assumed something was broken or corrupted. Only figured out it wasn't today when I poked into the folder and saw the png file. My bad.

Hmmm.

@cttw, JeffreyCor: The issue with the actions not saving, is that for spaceplanes only or have you noted it as well on rockets? (SPH vs. VAB)

Also, on the vessels you have noticed it, did you rotate the root part (with QWEASD) before placing it?

I think I know where to start looking, the rotated root part would confirm it for me.

@CCraigen: I'm probably going to stay with the yellow/black color scheme but I think I've come up with an alternate shape. Note that as I can't control the in-game lighting, the yellow/black color is deliberately a very stark contrast to make sure you can always see the icon.

D.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@SMILIE: This message (AGX actsToCompare.count != 1 2) is an error trap that means that when trying to load an action, two possibilities were found. This error trap is then supposed to handle it so there is no problems so the fact that it caused you to be unable to change scenes is disenheartening.

Thanks for the update!

I don't really know if the scene change problem has something to do with AGX or maybe with another mod or KSP itself. I have quite some mods installed and maybe it's a combination of them which causes the error.

I'll test it with a clean KSP version with a new save and see if I can reproduce something.

Hmmm.

@cttw, JeffreyCor: The issue with the actions not saving, is that for spaceplanes only or have you noted it as well on rockets? (SPH vs. VAB)

Also, on the vessels you have noticed it, did you rotate the root part (with QWEASD) before placing it?

I think I know where to start looking, the rotated root part would confirm it for me.

@CCraigen: I'm probably going to stay with the yellow/black color scheme but I think I've come up with an alternate shape. Note that as I can't control the in-game lighting, the yellow/black color is deliberately a very stark contrast to make sure you can always see the icon.

D.

The root part was not rotated on the spaceplane that was sent. Some of the individual parts with actions assigned were rotated (flaps, radial engines) while others were not (rear engine, cabins, docking port).

I have seem this primarily with the SPH. I will make it a point to check the VAB and pay particular attention to see what happens there. If odd behavior happens there as well I'll post the log up for you.

Bug Report: After clicking the "show list of all parts" button, the action group selector list (the 1-50 list) closes and cannot be re-opened. Clicking the action group list button (example: "2: Main Solar Panel Toggle") does nothing. Double clicking creates the "no target" message (as though I'm double-clicking on empty space).

I am running 1.15a.

No crash to report, so I don't have a log file. The only message showing in the debugger is related to Ferram Aerospace.

EDIT: Going back to the space center and returning to the ship in flight resolves this issue. Also happens if you hit the "Auto-Hide" button on the 1-50 list. No way to un-auto-hide.

DOUBLE EDIT: I can also confirm that action groups NAMES and GROUP ASSIGNMENTS are not persistent after switching ships. The actual actions that are assigned to groups stay... so I just need to reassign them and their action group groups after switching vessels.

Edited by FlexGunship

Okay, just checking in to let people know I'm working on this.

I'm currently refactoring the save/load code so that all the actions/group names/etc. vanishing should no longer happen. Note that there will be no data loss, this is not a total rework like version 1.13 was, just a relatively large tweak.

Note this will not fix the issue where actions do not load correctly when you spawn a new spaceplane. When this happens, I am still asking people to send me their AGExtEditor.cfg, persistent.sfs and the latest AGExt00000.cfg file (the one with the largest number) so I can figure out what is happening to the position coordinates of parts in the SPH.

This will however reenable the mod during timewarp.

I have the rewrite 95% finished, but am out of time tonight so I'll have the next version out tomorrow after work for you guys.

D.

I'm currently getting an issue when I load a saved spaceplane, assign actions into #101-103, save and exit to Space Center, when I reload the ship in the SPH it's loading the action group names but none of the associated actions. This is on 1.15, and I'm assuming this is the same issue as described above? If I go straight from SPH to runway it keeps all actions assigned properly.

EDIT - and, oddly, an unrelated issue where I had switched to one of the spaceplanes in orbit and discovered it had cleared it's action groups and adopted the action groups of an earlier flight with the same name I had launched and recovered yesterday. I'm guessing this one is related to the time warping bug so I'm grabbing 1.15a before continuing.

Edited by CCraigen
new info

@CCraigen: Thank you for the report, it helps me confirm what is going on.

Interesting report on groups 101-103 there, most of the reports I'm seeing have everything behaving find in the SPH, it's going from SPH to Flight that people are seeing actions being lost.

On the spaceplane in orbit, that would be caused by the actions for that spaceplane being lost so when you switch to it, AGX thinks it has just spawned on the runway and looks to the saved ships in the editor to load action groups from.

On that front, 1.16 is in progress and it should fix all these saving issues people are experiencing. I am aware 1.15a is quite buggy, if you can use action groups 1-10 for now there should be no loss of actions as those ten groups cheat and are saved back to the KSP default groups and so are not lost when AGX screws up and losses its actions. This is the actions themselves only, the actiongroup names will still be lost.

Unfortunately it is taking longer then expected as I stopped trying to patch my new save/load routine and ripped out a large chunk of it to rewrite from scratch. You can only stumble from bug to bug for so long until you just rip it out and try again. (Note that I am not changing the data structure, there will not be a total data loss like when upgrading to 1.13)

It also does not affect the current issue where actions assigned in the SPH do not transfer to flight correctly. I know what is going on here but this fix will have to wait until I have a solid save/load routing to use it on.

On the plus side, 1.16 will re-enable AGX during timewarp so there is that at least.

D.

Edited by Diazo

Thanks for the great work! I'm looking forward to this release! :)

On a side note: The NullReferenceException which caused the game to stop working (can't change scene) was actually from DMagic's Science stuff (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-0-24-x-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-8-5-1-%289-16-14%29?p=1420401&viewfull=1#post1420401)

Got it, so the timewarp bug kicked in and wiped the actions for this ship, then when I swapped back to it and it couldn't find actions it grabbed the actions for a fresh ship of that name -- which just happened to be my old version of the design with a totally different set of actions. At least it's doing a pretty good job to try and recover.

Where are those AGext###### files? I found the two core ones but not the numbered files. EDIT -- nm, found them, didn't realize I had to look in the folder while the game was still in flight mode.

Edited by CCraigen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.