Spartwo

Should carriers go first or by standard order  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should carriers go first or by standard order

• Standard order
    • First

http://i.imgur.com/7VREGGn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BqjmLDk.jpg

The missiles can sink ocean dreadnoughts. It can also crush any land vehicle.

I doubt you have the pinpoint accuracy to manage to hit a tank :P Maybe if it was Zeke's Tog II but you must understand that the missile itself is larger than the tank you are aiming at. And keep in mind that the tank you are aiming at managed to shrug off one of my Panther I's HEAT cannons (the projectile gets up to 600m/s at long ranges)

Part welding does not count as stock. Imagine what it would do to an unwelded vessel.

Yup, plus even if a ship (aquatic or vacuum-based) hull survives a normally devastating hit, the sheer kinetic force will more often than not turn its insides to a pulp.

That immediately makes the armor/hull strength only somewhat effective, since without internals (fuel, engines, ammo reserves, power generation/batteries, and crew modules/probe cores), a ship is essentially a giant metallic rock.

That's why I spam-fire I-beam rounds from my starships in combat, as that type of attack has time and time again managed to induce this "kinetic overload" effect upon impact.

For surface combat, similar tactics may be effective, but using different weapons (such as cluster bombs, shrapnel-filled frag rounds, etc.).

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

Yup, plus even if a ship (aquatic or vacuum-based) hull survives a normally devastating hit, the sheer kinetic force will more often than not turn its insides to a pulp.

That immediately makes the armor/hull strength only somewhat effective, since without internals (fuel, engines, ammo reserves, power generation/batteries, and crew modules/probe cores), a ship is essentially a giant metallic rock.

That's why I spam-fire I-beam rounds from my starships in combat, as that type of attack has time and time again managed to induce this "kinetic overload" effect upon impact.

I-beam spam isn't very effective vs Hybrid armor.

I'm temped to make write a "thesis" on KSP combat tactics and techniques..... just to gather info and to have a nice knowledge pool for newer players/all-stock military builders.

What do ya'll think? That, or perhaps some sort of "Volume 1" of a KSP GNBC encyclopedia?

(Also, this might come in handy if griefing and piracy become commonplace in KSP MP servers whenever SQUAD creates the official MP update.)

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

I-beam spam isn't very effective vs Hybrid armor.

To which "hybrid armor" are you referring to? I tend to use that definition to describe armor plating that works like this:

Outer Layer = Wing Plate Armor

Under-layer = Reinforced Steel Plate Armor

It functions off of the "reactive armor" principle used IRL. A weaker outer layer can be damaged more easily, but in turn cancels out the vast majority of the kinetic energy being put into the ship hull, therefore severely increasing the strength of the under-layer by slowing down incoming fire near-instantly.

Plus, this makes for "realistic" battle scarring, such as the hull of my A.D.A. in the battle between me and BrightBritches.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

To which "hybrid armor" are you referring to? I tend to use that definition to describe armor plating that works like this:

Well yes, that is the Hybrid Armor mounted on the Hydra. But on my Panther II a different version is mounted that makes I-beams just bounce off.

Well yes, that is the Hybrid Armor mounted on the Hydra. But on my Panther II a different version is mounted that makes I-beams just bounce off.

That's why smart tacticians always have a backup plan. I tend to always have one in the form of heavy ammo, such as SRBs, guided missiles, or special armor-piercing/cracking rounds (like ZS Shredders).

Also, get something large going fast enough with some explosive kick (LFO/Solid Fuel works great), and you can simply destroy almost anything. Of course, there's the problem of ammo weight, but that can be.... *in Matrix Agent voice* "worked around". :)

My unsc prowler uses a very different form of hybrid armor, but the destroyer I built survived gigantic I beam spam barrages and srb strikes while remaining fully battle operational.

Megalodon can attest to that.

It functions off of the "reactive armor" principle used IRL. A weaker outer layer can be damaged more easily, but in turn cancels out the vast majority of the kinetic energy being put into the ship hull, therefore severely increasing the strength of the under-layer by slowing down incoming fire near-instantly.

Plus, this makes for "realistic" battle scarring, such as the hull of my A.D.A. in the battle between me and BrightBritches.

This. Or really any armor that uses both plates and wings. Seems everyone is calling any armor "hybrid" and it's confusing since you all are really using different armor methods.

For surface combat, similar tactics may be effective, but using different weapons (such as cluster bombs, shrapnel-filled frag rounds, etc.).

Its almost like you pulverized the insides of someone's ship recently! I wonder who! :P

My unsc prowler uses a very different form of hybrid armor, but the destroyer I built survived gigantic I beam spam barrages and srb strikes while remaining fully battle operational.

Megalodon can attest to that.

Your ships are so Gigantic that I-beam barrages will not damage it because they are so small in comparison :P (Spaced armor helps too)

I challenge you to make a ship that DOESN'T cause immense lag and will survive the aforementioned punishment.

That destroyer is one of my smallest ships and induces no lag on my computer with an amd processor from a few months ago. I will upgrade the prowler to have fuel and engine survivability soon.