Which is best NASA Space Program???

Which is best NASA Space Program???  

1. 1. Which is best NASA Space Program???

• Pre-NASA (X-15 Flights)
    • Mercury Program
    • Gemini Program
    • Apollo Program
    • ASTP
    • Skylab
    • Space Shuttle
    • Orion Program
    • Other (Specify)

Well after the last successful ( :D ) forum thread I decided to start this one where you choose your favorite NASA SPACE PROGRAM!!! :D Which do you like best? I have my favorites :3 so again, discuss what and why you like the space program. What about it attracts you? Is there something special about it? Who was your favorite astronauts in that core?

I have knowledge of which program will reign supreme, but until I know here's the list of available programs:

X-15 Program (Pre-NASA)

Mercury Program

Gemini Program

Apollo

Apollo Soyuz Test Project (to be referred to as ASTP)

Skylab

Space Shuttle Program

Orion Program (SLS; Beyond LEO)

So choose and tell why, and again I hope you enjoy the conversations below and as I said before, behave! :)

I voted Mercury, because it showed up we could do it and was the foundation on which all others were built upon.

Indeed, it also was one of the most interesting... there are soo many TRUE stories I could tell you about those astronauts...

Still one of the greatest (beyond spaceflight) accomplishments the astronauts did to me, was them FIGHTING for a window and the explosive bolts. The seven would NOT go to space without those, and they did fight as hard as they could, so it is indeed a great achievement.

However I still say Gemini for my own reasons I'm not gonna waste time explaining :)

Discovery, hands down. Only one of the ones on your list even left earth orbit, and that visited precisely one other body. Discovery has already resulted in excursions to no less than eight.

Discovery? You mean Apollo? Or do you mean the Space Shuttle? EXPLAIN!!!

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Apollo, Apollo, Apollo! It was the only successful program that landed men on a celestial body other than earth.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Apollo_program_insignia.png/598px-Apollo_program_insignia.png

However without the knowledge learned from Gemini we NEVER would have gotten to Apollo heheh... Also Apollo was almost delated by Big G/ MOL. So we may have LOST the space race if we had pit stopped on either of those projects!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah... did anyone seriously not see this coming? :cool: Apollo is kicking serious tail at the moment.

No shock, that is as I expected. 10 votes in Apollo for every one vote in each other category combined.

Not sure if it counts since it never happened, but the Apollo Applications Program. New manufacturing line of Saturn Vs, Manned Venus Flyby, bigger Skylab, Mars by the late 80s...

I've heard of it and that still could've done so pretty significant things, if we could afford it... Would the Saturn Nova be under the AAP? Or would it be independent?

I've heard of it and that still could've done so pretty significant things, if we could afford it... Would the Saturn Nova be under the AAP? Or would it be independent?

Nah, I don't think the Nova ever would've been built. They had other ideas for Saturn derivatives though, including shuttle-style SRBs, and a stretched-tank monster with four liquid boosters powered by 2 F-1 engines each, yielding something like 400 tons to LEO.

oy5rUUT.gif

Nah, I don't think the Nova ever would've been built. They had other ideas for Saturn derivatives though, including shuttle-style SRBs, and a stretched-tank monster with four liquid boosters powered by 2 F-1 engines each, yielding something like 400 tons to LEO.

http://i.imgur.com/oy5rUUT.gif

Yeah I've seen those models before. I was just curious if the Saturn Nova would've been included. The strapon SRBs would've helped with unmanned payloads significantly, and I wonder what would have the unmanned launched payloads? (I'm a little rusty on my AAP)

Yeah I've seen those models before. I was just curious if the Saturn Nova would've been included. The strapon SRBs would've helped with unmanned payloads significantly, and I wonder what would have the unmanned launched payloads? (I'm a little rusty on my AAP)

Likely equipment for a moonbase, and eventually components for a mars mission. There was also the odd thing like this: http://www.astronautix.com/craft/voyr1973.htm

Likely equipment for a moonbase, and eventually components for a mars mission. There was also the odd thing like this: http://www.astronautix.com/craft/voyr1973.htm

Ah. That is an interesting payload... I'm gonna that to my list of interesting facts btw thanks. Now, this is an idea that's been floating around aimlessly looking for evidence of it's existence. Was there are a planned Lunar Space Station DURING the Apollo era? My idea, if it did exist, is that a Saturn V (or Saturn 1B for the tiny payload) would carry a CSM and a small docking module. The CSM and DM would remain in LO until the next module came along carried by a modified S5, similar to the Skylab modification... so does anything along these lines or any such idea exist?

I can link a pic of my example if you want it...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.