Moon based Verne gun

The Verne gun is a cannon capable of launching objects into space. While this would not be viable on celestial objects that have atmosphere, moons could potentially use these as a cheap way of launching either stored experiments, kerbals, or entire rockets from the moon to an orbit that leads it close to kerbin

For example, you make a heavy rover and attach one of these to it. You then move across the moon and gather up as much science as there is. As you reach a new biome, you wait for the opportune moment, and launch the results of the biome onto a trajectory that strafes the upper atmosphere of kerbin. The atmosphere slows it down, and eventually the build in parachutes deploy and the science lands safely on kerbin. You then don't have launch another rocket to fly a new set of kerbals to that particular moon in order to gather research in that biome, you can just move along and gather more. After you have gathered all the science, you can just launch the kerbals as well, and leave the rover on the moon. As the cannon would impart large G-forces, it might only be able to launch the kerbals into orbit of the moon. If you thought ahead, you could have brought a return craft and simply have parked it in orbit. The kerbals can then simply fly home.

I know this suggestion is a bit out there, and would be hard to implement, but I thought I would share anyways. Besides, people have actually tried to build these things, so why not?

Why not try making one with rocket engines? Especially with more powerful engines coming as part of the NASA pack.

mOg8mo3l.png

411bBScl.png

gC4oJazl.png

hrjytbxl.png

With a few tweaks, that was a Kerbin return trajectory.

If you arrange the engines cleverly, you can get thrust from multiple ones, increasing the power, but due to computer physics it's not as straightforward as it might seem.

Edited by Tw1

Heh, I've been wondering whether this was possible after an amusing incident on Minmus. I had sent a rover there unmanned to be later driven during EVA's... well I needed to use a probe core to get it there. But after landing, the core was no longer needed and was a waste of weight. So, I gave it a pair of mini-boosters to send it harmlessly away from the rover when it detached. Darned thing escaped Kerbin entirely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.