What's next for KSP and NASA

Okay so with the obvious huge success of the ARM mission pack, what's next for this new KSP NASA relationship? Think well see a stock shuttle? I'm hoping NASA will use KSP as a platform to like showcase missions that they need public exposer/support for.

How about:

1. Build an ISS... hmm most of us have already done that

2. Programmable rovers, with simple instructions to say go there.... robot arm out... take sample etc, and more fun.... programmable landing sequences ... all the fun of a NASA mision to duna... AKA the 7 minutes of terror :)

3. And to go with 2... light speed delay in communications......... once its set... thats it.... land or burn

Boris

Not even managed to unpack the ARM update yet ... :(

Edited by Boris_T_Roach
thought of #3

The Shuttle is NASA's past. NASA, I expect, will want to focus on their present and future. So, some ideas:

InSight parts. These would mainly be geophysical experiments, including a drill, for landers. Not flashy like the SLS stuff, but some interesting little things.

"Curiosity II" parts. I'd like to see a rocker-bogie suspension system, which would really come into its own if we get more small-scale terrain roughness, say if ground scatters are made solid. I'd also like a camera part or two, which can be used for first-person driving as well as for science, and of course the rock-zapping laser.

Space telescope stuff. Hubble's still going strong, Kepler was a massive success, JWST is set for launch in a couple of years and looks like nothing else in space.

ISS stuff. We're pretty well set there already, but the "railway" and the robot arm would be nice to have.

The Shuttle is NASA's past. NASA, I expect, will want to focus on their present and future. So, some ideas:

InSight parts. These would mainly be geophysical experiments, including a drill, for landers. Not flashy like the SLS stuff, but some interesting little things.

"Curiosity II" parts. I'd like to see a rocker-bogie suspension system, which would really come into its own if we get more small-scale terrain roughness, say if ground scatters are made solid. I'd also like a camera part or two, which can be used for first-person driving as well as for science, and of course the rock-zapping laser.

Space telescope stuff. Hubble's still going strong, Kepler was a massive success, JWST is set for launch in a couple of years and looks like nothing else in space.

ISS stuff. We're pretty well set there already, but the "railway" and the robot arm would be nice to have.

I think you're spot on here. More and more realistic science experiments would be awesome, but definitely the thing I'd like to see the most would be better and more accurate terrain.

Well, there's always the Mars One mission that begins in 2018 (4 years guys. Mars colonization begins in 4.freaking.years.)

I know that one's not technically NASA, but it's something they'll probably be a part of.

Colony parts and missions is what I'm trying to say.

I really hope to see a re-do of ALL spaceplane parts inspired by NASA + new parts like cargo bay :)

Or even better.. Give us a hinge and more structural parts so that we can build our own cargo bay.

I agree with this statement as well. I think part of the motivation for NASA joining in with Squad was to inspire young, up and coming scientists and engineers to get interested in some of the real issues faced by NASA. Since Mars colonization is on NASA's plate I think it would be a good thing to see more parts and missions in KSP with colonization as its end result.

Since Duna is a mars analog it would be real cool to have biomes for Duna. Im assuming that NASA has ideas how to use resources on Mars for life support / refueling. It would be nice if there was some analogs in KSP to those ideas. Since Kethane already does something very similar I don't see that its too much to hope for. I would just like to see something more realistic and less fictional then Kethane. Also something that is officially supported by Squad.

Hats off to the developers who worked on this update. A real amazing update!!!

Hal

I like the idea of KSP being a bit of a "training ground" for proposed missions. Realistic rover parts, a deep space discovery system using space telescopes, and parts for making more permanent extraterrestrial bases (maybe with an optional life support mod pack).

Bottom line though, I'm just hoping for more. The update turned out fantastic, and I'd love to see more collaboration in the future.

I'd like to see more research parts. Telescopes of various sorts, more sensors, mapping tools etc. I'd love to be able to built a prope that unfolds like the Webb telescope.

NASA have been assisting KSP with the ARM pack, now KSP must assist NASA by adding that little bit of kerbal mentality to their future space missions, starting with MOAR BOOSTERS!

And lots of explody, strutted-out asparagus staging!

Wait... maybe not. :)

(4 years guys. Mars colonization begins in 4.freaking.years.)

Yeah...I'd be kinda wary of that. Anyway, some kind of ISRU would be nice to see, if only for the fact that Squad would need to backpedal on the resources statement :)

Well, there's always the Mars One mission that begins in 2018 (4 years guys. Mars colonization begins in 4.freaking.years.)

Nope, not going to happen in 4 years.

It is not a 'scam', but whoever made up their time table has been using some reality altering stuff.

I freely offer myself to be made fun of in 4 years when it turns out I'm wrong

The JWST would be too simple/boring/easy (just another satellite).

I'd say Mars stuff, probes, experiments, retrieval of samples.

I also hope other space agencies (and space related enterprises) will join in the fun. KSP should become a 'default space-organisation promotion channel'. These guys know they have to advertise in popular-scientific magazines, Discovery Channel and such.

KSP should be in that list. On top.

Nope, not going to happen in 4 years.

It is not a 'scam', but whoever made up their time table has been using some reality altering stuff.

I freely offer myself to be made fun of in 4 years when it turns out I'm wrong

I agree. Whatever is going to happen with Mars One, we are not going to see any humans on Mars before 2020.

I agree. Whatever is going to happen with Mars One, we are not going to see any humans on Mars before 2020.

unless someone finds oil, I mean kethane over there ;)

I would not be surprised if virgin galactic is making their first passenger flight in four years (announced for 2014) but I'd be *very* surprised if a human being walked on mars, or orbited mars, within less than 10 years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.