Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I'm really sorry for asking this, but I cant for the life of me get the damn back pack on any more. Its been a while since I used the mod, but I cant find the gui button, used the grab key and tried having a wrench, screw gun, every way I can think of. Some one please tell me what I am missing that's so simple?

Okay, I'm getting huge framerate drops whenever I use Universal Storage parts. I took a closer look and it seems like they have a very high polycount- could you add in some sort of option to reduce it? I can't just go back to sticking tons of Materials Bays and Mystery Goo modules all over my orbiters, not with Ferram installed!

I was building a simple rover/orbiter module and as soon as I stuck US parts onto the orbiter, my framerate just tanked.

Ok I'm really sorry for asking this, but I cant for the life of me get the damn back pack on any more. Its been a while since I used the mod, but I cant find the gui button, used the grab key and tried having a wrench, screw gun, every way I can think of. Some one please tell me what I am missing that's so simple?

Do all the other KAS features work? Can you store other things on the backs of Kerbals, just not the EVAX?

Okay, I'm getting huge framerate drops whenever I use Universal Storage parts. I took a closer look and it seems like they have a very high polycount- could you add in some sort of option to reduce it? I can't just go back to sticking tons of Materials Bays and Mystery Goo modules all over my orbiters, not with Ferram installed!

I was building a simple rover/orbiter module and as soon as I stuck US parts onto the orbiter, my framerate just tanked.

Odd, could i see your output log at the time you attach them? Alt F12 and hit the Debug button should bring up the basics. The parts are dense (and are getting remade as we speak to be a little more optimised) but they shouldn't slam your PC that hard. Might be something else behind the scenes.

Well, my framerate didn't quite 'tank'- it was more like a 10ish FPS drop, and that was with two full octo cores on a small 2.5m orbiter, plus a small rover in a pod. I think it was just the polycount, my computer isn't the best in the world.

Could be it then - what's your baseline FPS? What I'm doing with the next version of US (linking like this cause I'm on my phone http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73455-WIP-Universal-Storage?p=2183189&viewfull=1#post2183189 ) will really help with reducing partcount and texture maps, so that should help on top of a reduction of polys. Its a bit far off though.

I don't know what my debug menu FPS meter is doing in the VAB- it reads 33.3 normally but when I stuck 6 of full octo cores onto a small rocket the game slowed down quite a bit, but the FPS display remained the same.

Edit: I can copy the non-capsule part of that small, 17-part rocket many times to get it up to 182 parts and still have a very manageable FPS without any US parts on it, for what that's worth.

Edited by Brixmon

So with a fresh install, then KAS, KIS and UniversalStorage I cant get the right click action to show anything and I have no way of equipping the EVAX, but if I change the lines in the cfg,

MODULE

{

name = ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

editorItemsCategory = false

equipable = true

stackable = true

equipSlot = jetpack

equipMode = part

equipMeshName = jetpack_base01

equipBoneName = bn_jetpack01

equipPos = (0,0,-0.06)

equipDir = (0,0,0)

runSpeed = 1

}

Replace Carriable with the two lines shown and I can put the backpack on. I am using (KAS 0.5.4) (KIS 1.2.2) and (Universal Storage 1.1.0.7) Again with the stock install I cant get it to work at all. Maybe I am missing something you guys have said to do, or not to do I don't know. I don't think I need the stackable = true line but just have not tried it yet with out it.

Thx for the help Dren

I don't know what my debug menu FPS meter is doing in the VAB- it reads 33.3 normally but when I stuck 6 of full octo cores onto a small rocket the game slowed down quite a bit, but the FPS display remained the same.

Edit: I can copy the non-capsule part of that small, 17-part rocket many times to get it up to 182 parts and still have a very manageable FPS without any US parts on it, for what that's worth.

What wedges are they? Dmagic ones or stock US?

So with a fresh install, then KAS, KIS and UniversalStorage I cant get the right click action to show anything and I have no way of equipping the EVAX, but if I change the lines in the cfg,

MODULE

{

name = ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

editorItemsCategory = false

equipable = true

stackable = true

equipSlot = jetpack

equipMode = part

equipMeshName = jetpack_base01

equipBoneName = bn_jetpack01

equipPos = (0,0,-0.06)

equipDir = (0,0,0)

runSpeed = 1

}

Replace Carriable with the two lines shown and I can put the backpack on. I am using (KAS 0.5.4) (KIS 1.2.2) and (Universal Storage 1.1.0.7) Again with the stock install I cant get it to work at all. Maybe I am missing something you guys have said to do, or not to do I don't know. I don't think I need the stackable = true line but just have not tried it yet with out it.

Thx for the help Dren

I'll have a look on my own install after work for you, but yeah that stackable line in the .cfg shouldn't be needed for backpack attachment (think its intended for ground pylons you stack things to).

Just got a reply over in the KIS/KAS thread and they say you don't put things on your back any more, its all done in and out of your inventory. Was news to me, to be honest I don't really like not being able to place things on my back to carry around. But its a way I guess to limit overall volume and weight per Kerbal.

Hi! For some reason, I cannot put more than one wedge into any of the Universal Storage Cores. There's only one "node" to which a wedge locks on to.

I've tested this with no mods except Universal Storage installed on a fresh sandbox save.

I've attempted to install the mod both manually and with CKAN.

I've also attempted to re-install KSP completely.

This happens with all the cores. At first I thought it was a problem with DMagic Orbital Science because I couldn't put two science wedges onto a Universal Storage QuadCore.

Turns out even with no mods except Universal Storage installed and trying to put multiple Universal Storage: Science Bays on the core does not work.

KSP: 1.0.4 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Universal Storage - 1.1.0.7

EDIT: Apparently I have to rotate the wedges, duhh. Still would be nice if they snapped without rotating manually. :)

Edited by Pseudochu

I had the DMagic wedges installed. Are they bugged or something?

I wouldn't say so - but Dmagic has extra code running alongside those parts to make his animations and experiments work, and for such a big performance hit i'd expect something might be going wrong. If you upload the logs (about halfway down the page)I can know for sure, and we can fix what's going on :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Paul,

Just discovered and downloaded your mod. It is absolutely awesome; very useful and looks gorgeous with lots of attention to detail. Thanks :)

I have a suggestion for the future updates. A similar system for spaceplanes using the Mk2 and MkIV family would be very nice.

Also, a wedge module with a battery would really be useful. Batts are the most cumbersome and ugly elements in KSP and not everybody uses the mods with hydrogen and such to be able to use the already included generator.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Paul,

Just discovered and downloaded your mod. It is absolutely awesome; very useful and looks gorgeous with lots of attention to detail. Thanks :)

I have a suggestion for the future updates. A similar system for spaceplanes using the Mk2 and MkIV family would be very nice.

Also, a wedge module with a battery would really be useful. Batts are the most cumbersome and ugly elements in KSP and not everybody uses the mods with hydrogen and such to be able to use the already included generator.

Thanks again!

All of those suggestions will be coming eventually :)

Does this mod add life support? I will probably get it if it doesn't.

It adds parts for other life support mods, making the storage of consumables a little less clunky. Depending on what life support system you run, the tanks only show if they match the mod. So there's not too much clutter with stuff you don't need. An exception to this are the oxygen, hydrogen, water and fuel cell parts - Paul and I thought an Apollo-esque fuel cell would be neat to include in the base pack.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Daishi']All of those suggestions will be coming eventually :)

It adds parts for [I]other[/I] life support mods, making the storage of consumables a little less clunky. Depending on what life support system you run, the tanks only show if they match the mod. So there's not too much clutter with stuff you don't need. An exception to this are the oxygen, hydrogen, water and fuel cell parts - Paul and I thought an Apollo-esque fuel cell would be neat to include in the base pack.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so oxygen, hydrogen, water and fuel cell parts are intentionally left? I was wondering why do I have those. And still am. Why do I need those? I use USI Life Support, which just uses "Supplies", which I do have, but still don't have any needs for oxygen and water?

Also, there is wedge named like "alkaline" or something (can't remember for sure, I'm at work atm). What is that for?

[quote name='ThePrometheus']Also, there is wedge named like "alkaline" or something (can't remember for sure, I'm at work atm). What is that for?[/QUOTE]

The "Alkaline fuel cell" is an electricity generator. It consumes hydrogen and oxygen and generate electricity and water. I assume the water can then be used as a life support's water but I never tried.

It take me a while to figure out that....

I have a suggestion for another neat gizmo to put in Universal Storage..... A deepsea diver EVA pack to compliment the mondo space EVA pack.

The deepsea diver version would have a number of effects:
1). It would give the Kerbal a slight negative buoyancy so he'd be able to stand on the bottm and walk there as if on a very low-gravity moon. When not being powered (see below) the Kerbal would sink very slowly.
2). It would have some sort of waterjet propulsion system capable of making the Kerbal move in the same manner as flying on EVA. Might use electricity for power with a limited amount of charge, but still enough to get around an underwater base or whatever. Say like about the same sort of range you can get on one of higher gravity worlds where normal EVA jetpacks work.

What do you think?

[quote name='Li0n']The "Alkaline fuel cell" is an electricity generator. It consumes hydrogen and oxygen and generate electricity and water. I assume the water can then be used as a life support's water but I never tried.

It take me a while to figure out that....[/QUOTE]

Huh.. Thanks. Although, I read it more thouroughly and realized it *facepulm*. Although, in my mod build, I don't have ways to produce hydrogen or oxygen, and hauling then just to replace few solar panels won't cut it... heh, now, to solve memory crashes...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎48‎:‎16‎, Geschosskopf said:

I have a suggestion for another neat gizmo to put in Universal Storage..... A deepsea diver EVA pack to compliment the mondo space EVA pack.

The deepsea diver version would have a number of effects:
1). It would give the Kerbal a slight negative buoyancy so he'd be able to stand on the bottm and walk there as if on a very low-gravity moon. When not being powered (see below) the Kerbal would sink very slowly.
2). It would have some sort of waterjet propulsion system capable of making the Kerbal move in the same manner as flying on EVA. Might use electricity for power with a limited amount of charge, but still enough to get around an underwater base or whatever. Say like about the same sort of range you can get on one of higher gravity worlds where normal EVA jetpacks work.

What do you think?

Hmm, no idea how I'd get that to work with waterjets - tell the pack to suck in surrounding water (if oceans classify as some kind of water yet) and have it output the same through the stock RCS system? Hmmm

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎08‎:‎48‎, ThePrometheus said:

[quote name='Li0n']The "Alkaline fuel cell" is an electricity generator. It consumes hydrogen and oxygen and generate electricity and water. I assume the water can then be used as a life support's water but I never tried.

It take me a while to figure out that....

Huh.. Thanks. Although, I read it more thouroughly and realized it *facepulm*. Although, in my mod build, I don't have ways to produce hydrogen or oxygen, and hauling then just to replace few solar panels won't cut it... heh, now, to solve memory crashes...

kinda more of a career thing, would prob work better with harder tech trees when solar tech is far off. I dunno :)

These new forums are straange, glad to see our threads are still in one piece.

2 hours ago, Daishi said:

Hmm, no idea how I'd get that to work with waterjets - tell the pack to suck in surrounding water (if oceans classify as some kind of water yet) and have it output the same through the stock RCS system? Hmmm

The oceans don't contain any stock resources that I know of, so I was thinking more along the lines of the following:  You have a "reactionless" drive that converts electric charge directly into EVA thrust without consuming any other resources.  But this works only after a successful check for being "splashed down" or in the liquid biome of whatever planet you're on.

On 19.09.2015, 9:50:16, Daishi said:

I wouldn't say so - but Dmagic has extra code running alongside those parts to make his animations and experiments work, and for such a big performance hit i'd expect something might be going wrong. If you upload the logs (about halfway down the page)I can know for sure, and we can fix what's going on :)

I'm sorry but I read "how to post issues" from link above, but I doesn't find where I have to post it. Also I can't find your issue tracker.
If you don't mind I post it here:

KSP: 1.0.5 Windows 32bit

Problem: Science storages doesn't work. When I right click on any science storage no context menu appeared, so I can't start the experiment.

Mods installed:
Module Manager 2.6.13
DMagic_Orbital_Science-1.0.8
Universal_Storage-1.1.0.8

Reproduction steps:
Build the simple craft with command pot, US core and any Science storage. Launch the craft and try to start experiment from US science part.

Log: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7E60F22F596C8158!39309&authkey=!ABV7LsKG14K6hXo&ithint=file%2ctxt

43 minutes ago, heyDude said:

I'm sorry but I read "how to post issues" from link above, but I doesn't find where I have to post it. Also I can't find your issue tracker.
If you don't mind I post it here:

KSP: 1.0.5 Windows 32bit

Problem: Science storages doesn't work. When I right click on any science storage no context menu appeared, so I can't start the experiment.

Mods installed:
Module Manager 2.6.13
DMagic_Orbital_Science-1.0.8
Universal_Storage-1.1.0.8

Reproduction steps:
Build the simple craft with command pot, US core and any Science storage. Launch the craft and try to start experiment from US science part.

Log: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7E60F22F596C8158!39309&authkey=!ABV7LsKG14K6hXo&ithint=file%2ctxt

The science wedges are not provided by Universal Storage but from DMagic Orbital Science. Also, if you have the 1.0.8 version installed, there is a newer one compiled for KSP version 1.0.5.

Small bug report: on the EVAX part module configuration, a Module Manager "NEEDS" flag is missing from one of the life support sub - configs.

//IFI LifeSupport
	@PART[US_3R310_EVA_EVAX]:[IFILifeSupport]
	{
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = LifeSupport
			amount = 1
			maxAmount = 1
		}
	}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.