Asteroid Base Challenge

I added another thing.

What's my rating so far?

I have a solar array, coms stuff scattered around, two hitchhiker cans in two places, a science lab, a ton of docking ports, and an observatory.

Also a crash test analysis module if you want to count that.

Also I have to deal with this: http://youtu.be/xMRcd1cWpvo

Edited by Macrocosmus
Kraken Attacks

I added another thing.

What's my rating so far?

I have a solar array, coms stuff scattered around, two hitchhiker cans in two places, a science lab, a ton of docking ports, and an observatory.

Also a crash test analysis module if you want to count that.

Also I have to deal with this: http://youtu.be/xMRcd1cWpvo

lol that was pretty funny.

You're between Silver and Gold at this point. If you have 4+ Kerbals, all you need is an eating area, and what not. :3

After that, try too attach a second asteroid too the first one, and you'll have Platinum.

Edited by LadyAthena

I have just spent a good part of today playing with the idea of a circular asteroid base/station for another challenge, thought you would be interested to see the results too! This is not my entry, just thought it would be interesting to show what I managed so far...

Tug pulling a tiny 'roid:

6C48D05D2DBD1A3C96F8822EEAD361F8D45C6A90

First bit of the base going up:

F28871DE8EB5AA4A87459148DC2A7FB2901B03D8

and Docked:

900A3C77FF766C22E4262C768609B83C21D0E693

1st modular section incoming:

960B2657F84ABA7FC7C4DD9EB5EA76F58A3539C2

Connected/Docked:

FC64DE2BC33C52D840F699BE6D2E64BCE13F2AD9

DAMN IT ALL TO HECK!:

192DD8350A2D0CD17D4BB78B4A82EE00DD7555A0

Yeah, the mini-tug wasn't meant to break! Back to the drawing board on those modular sections!

Still, it's taught me a few things, like how to angle docking ports on the ends of structural fuselage, now I want to go bigger and better, though not necessarily outside of Kerbin's SOI... Could you maybe have another leaderboard for Kerbin SOI, seeing as so many have done it this way already? I know it takes away from the challenge a little, but then Class E Asteroids aren't easy to work with in the first place, even with behemoth Asteroid tugs on their own (guess adding some RCS tugs on various other points of the Asteroids are the way to go, but haven't gotten round to trying... yet!)

I'd have too say no, since it would be easier too assemble in Kerbin orbit. Part of the challenge is, the time being used. :3

But since all the pictures so far are in kerbin Orbit, I'd have too say, anyone who can achieve it solely outside of Kerbin Orbit gets kudo points.

And way to go guys! Those are looking fabulous. <3

screenshot10.png

How 'bout this?:)

How do i post screenshots properly, im new here. :(

I made a blog entry (on this site) covering image embedding for anyone who wishes to learn :) It's HERE and will be in my sig in all future posts. :)

PM me if you have troubles. Always willing to help :)

So this is my project. This thing was an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE to get into Kerbin Orbit. While it's not for this challenge I figured why not share it :P

So far it's taken me 4 hours, and it's still in an eliptical, retrograde, 45 degree orbit. But it's here.

p7OCHSS.jpg

The biggest problem is not the TWR, it's the putting the claw at the exact CoM. I'm trying to like the maneuver node vector up with the CoM marker, and grab the rock there. Is that the best way? Anyone else have tips on how to move this MASSIVE rock? What ends up happening is I get 5-15 seconds of good thrust and then spin off CoM. Wait for it to come around, and do it again. It's annoying.

Edited by Immashift

Wow, thanks, that helped a lot the picture of my base just above your post took ages to do, now it's much quicker, anyway I'm going to guess that that asteroid is an 'e' class, if so then i do not know how to move them efficiently, in my base I have a 'c' class and an 'a' class.:)

Wow, thanks, that helped a lot the picture of my base just above your post took ages to do, now it's much quicker, anyway I'm going to guess that that asteroid is an 'e' class, if so then i do not know how to move them efficiently, in my base I have a 'c' class and an 'a' class.:)

Yupper it's E-class. I took the closest rock to Kerbin and that happened to be it. It was my first attempt at getting to an asteroid. :D I think I did pretty well getting an e-class into a stable LKO on my first go :P

Still a pig to move.

Wow, first attempt? It took me 18 Refuels for the tugs just to get an A and a C to a 1,100K(ish) orbit around duna, maybe i should take an Asteroid to laythe, that would be a challenge.

Well, I got it into lko (a very messy lko) with the first craft I created for this purpose without any testing. The rock was gonna smack into kerbin and all I really had to do was raise its PE out of the atmosphere and lower its AP. I also got a very lucky random encounter with the mun that lowered the AP below 5 million meters. After that I've been sending fuel cans up to it to lower its orbit. I want it in a 100x100 km 0 inclination space station orbit. God knows how long that'll take.

I made a better vessel for pushing it around that runs on a skipper engine and an orange tank... Still gobbles liquid fuel though. Ugh. It's like towing an elephant with a smart car.

n0DTou3.jpg

Also the only way this thing has enough torque to turn it around is phys-warp and a lot of button holding. Could use a hundred SAS units or so.

Know what I wanna do? Cram enough engines and tanks on this thing to have a meaningful TWR, and then visit planets with it. Deathstar style.

Edited by Immashift

If your trying to build a base on the asteroid then a perfectly circular orbit is not needed.

Oh I'm well aware. Thing is it's irritating to have to launch into a weird inclination and something really elliptic. I also tend to obsess about having perfectly flat 0 inclination orbits. So subsequently I spent 3 hours nudging it till it was at 109x101 at 0 inclination. I now have a space-mountain lair. I plan on building a station around the rock.

Basically I'm so used to launching to 90 degrees and going up to 100km, anything other than that I'll forget half the time and have to restart 3 min into the flight. So it was worth it.

You know originally when I saw this thread I thought of this :P

MagogVL.JPG

From Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

Edited by Immashift

It depends on where you are really, when you enter duna's SOI your orbit will almost always be inclined so making my orbit flat wasn't at all necessary

I think now I'm going to try putting an 'E' Class asteroid in Low Sun Orbit.

Edited by Megalodon 720

Immashift - I have found that D's and E's are easier to pull than push, it helps keep the ship lined up with CoM and it doesn't end up swinging about the place mid-burn!

If you take a look at my post earlier on in the thread, you will see what I mean - the 4 nukes are for getting to the Asteroid and docking and de-orbiting, while the forward-facing 8 nukes are there for the grunt work... worked FAR better than I had though it would, and others have done tests to see if pulling is better than pushing (it is :wink:)

• 2 weeks later...
I've had to reinstall KSP due to problems with my antivirus so my Burned Pot8o is gone;.; However i'm now trying to get one in orbit around jool, the views will be amazing.

You know if you ever need to reinstall KSP you can pull over your campaign save file and ship files. Just put htem on your desktop, re install, and put them back into their folders.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.