Discontinued Satellites

After three years in service, I've decided that my Ulysses satellite range is to be discontinued, and replaced by newer, more advanced Observer satellites. The big question for me is, what do I do with the old Ulysses satellites? They were only for the Kerbin system, so they are spread across Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus.

I have three equally possible options available to me, and they are as follows:

1.) Leave them in orbit as satellites, they have some kind of sentimental value.

2.) Re-brand them as space junk, because that's all they are now, space junk.

3.) Deorbit all of them, they have ion engines capable of doing so.

I'm really stuck as to what to do. There are five of them by the way, and there will probably be about 5-7 Observer satellites to replace them, but that is undecided as of yet.

What do they do in real life? What do you think I should do?

Thanks for your time :)

Typically I re-brand them as space junk, so they remain there and can still be visited but don't show up. I don't have a debris cap though.

In real life they either deorbit them or boost them into a higher out of the way graveyard orbit.

In real life, orbits are not as stable as in KSP. Satellites in low Earth orbit decay over time and eventually burn in atmosphere. Satellites anywhere else usually don't have enough propellant left to be deorbited or returned to Earth.

What you do in your game, though, is completely up to you. Personally I would deorbit them to reduce amount of debris in system.

I like to use a certain mod for situations like this, it's a small one called TAC self destruct, it basically gives you little blocks of explosives that you can have your kerbals place on things. I know it's not really realistic but it's really fun to send a demo mission up to your stranded or obsolete spacecraft. Just a thought, hope it helps :)

Xaiier: I kinda like the idea of a graveyard orbit... but it is probable they will remain in orbit as some kind of thing. Probably space junk.

Kasuha: It would be interesting if there was a mod that replicated this effect, or one that made the atmosphere more realistic.

Teza: I'll have to look into that mod, sounds really cool! :)

The Aero model (FAR or stock) is applicable to different things.

In either case, the game doesn't simulate aerodynamics for things that aren't in physics range. (They are "on rails") So a satellite in 35km orbit will be stable as long as you don't visit it. So the game has the capability to decay orbits, but doesn't really simulate it unless you're looking.

I prefer to deorbit low stuff and boost high stuff out of the way, although I might start labeling them as debris after they get there. (Seems most realistic.) I'm excited about the claw and nabbing stuff at random to sling back at Kerbin. :)

Edited by Claw

FAR gives a more realistic aerodynamic model, but I haven't heard of any mods that add decaying orbits. But, I agree, it would be pretty interesting.

Orbit manipulator (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70881-0-23-5-Orbit-Manipulator-Series-%28WIP%29-%28Updated-March-12-2014%29?highlight=orbit+manipulator) lets orbits that dip below 70 km slowly decay.

I don't know of any mods that let orbits decay outside the KSP atmosphere limit, but extrapolating from some aerobraking I've done it looks like anything above 80 km would take years (i.e., long after you've finished the game) to de-orbit. So a "realism" mod along these lines would be a little too specific to really matter.

Edited by Starstrider42

Just mark it as junk. You cannot get anywhere close to actual problematic Kessler syndrome in KSP.

Also, do what's the most fun. Personally I don't find it fun to reposition satellites with other satellites but everyone's different.

Yeah, I thought about FAR, but it wasn't something I felt would add much to the game. Here's hoping that someone makes an orbital decay mod though...

Just to be clear, FAR still doesn't effect orbital decay if the craft isn't in focus.

Most people who like it say it's a lot more handy if you are into doing a lot of planes or atmospheric work. It also forces you to make rockets that are a bit more aerodynamic. So if you're unconcerned about those things, then you're probably right in that it won't add much for you.

For me personally, if debris enters the atmosphere I just assume role-playing and delete it from the tracking station when I get around to it. I'm happy enough to consider that "deorbited" until they change the game mechanics.

Edited by Claw

Just mark it as junk. You cannot get anywhere close to actual problematic Kessler syndrome in KSP.

Also, do what's the most fun. Personally I don't find it fun to reposition satellites with other satellites but everyone's different.

As someone who had a newly launched satellite get destroyed 10 seconds later by an old defunct satellite due to a collision I disagree with this statement!

A one-off collision isn't really Kessler syndrome.

That said, people have reported Kesslering in KSP. LKO is a much smaller space than LEO, both because Kerbin is smaller and because most KSPers nearly always launch into an equatorial orbit. If you manage to break up something with a lot of parts, and you don't have a limit on debris, it can become quite hazardous.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.