Spaceplane parts redux.

They're from 0.15 and haven't been changed since they were first released.

Unfortunately, the devs have stated that all updates until 0.30 will be dedicated to career, so I wouldn't exoect an aerodynamic model anytime soon...

I'm not talking about an Aerodynamic model, I'm talking about a full on overhaul of how these parts look and work.

In a bit I'll go take a Screenshot to emphasize my point.

jSM4awG.jpg

I mean look at it, It's just doesn't look right, Not to mention it almost never works well when trying to connect things to it that Aren't any of those space plane parts.

Edited by Killerdude8

LOL that pic makes the point quite effectively. I'd like a complete conversion, frankly the cross section shapes irk me, but I'd rather have mechanics first. Even if Squad stops developing (which I doubt) mod makers will then at least have a solid base to work with, and obviously when it comes to models some mod makers are just as talented as Squad staff.

Got a link for that?

Should have said it. They said it on a KSP weekly a long time ago, so there's no way I could get a link.

Oh, and I mentioned an aerodynamic model overhaul because it would be pretty obvious to work on both the parts and the model at the same time. :)

Should have said it. They said it on a KSP weekly a long time ago, so there's no way I could get a link.

Oh, and I mentioned an aerodynamic model overhaul because it would be pretty obvious to work on both the parts and the model at the same time. :)

I wasn't meaning to sound doubting if it came across that way. Just hadn't heard that and was looking for a bit of expansion on it. Disappointing for me as I mostly play sandbox, but hey, it's not my game to develop.

I wasn't meaning to sound doubting if it came across that way. Just hadn't heard that and was looking for a bit of expansion on it. Disappointing for me as I mostly play sandbox, but hey, it's not my game to develop.

Same here. I haven't even looked at career ATM because it looks like "Science this, science that, science everything", and I just want to design and fly rockets.

Well, that's what the modding community is for. :wink:

The space plane parts and aerodynamic model should come at a similar time, unless the model is much more complicated than expected.

Spaceplane parts should get a good look once career is implemented. SSTO's and reusable systems go hand and hand with space planes. But until then, space planes are more for show and bragging rights rather than practicality beyond a few cases.

We all know how squad doesn't implement much for show, that's left to the modders.

What started as a re-texturing project for Squad parts has morphed into something totally different now that I can Blender a bit.

Cockpits, wings, and engines will be getting full treatment, as well as a lot of replacement knick-knacks for basic Squad parts (fuel lines, batteries, trusses, etc). My intention is to be able to fully replace the Squad pack with same-size (but updated shape and style) B9-style parts. The pack will recycle B9 textures in a much smarter way and include a few of FStexture switch options. There will also be some tweaks with B9 parts to make them function like Squad parts (nosecones will be cut in half, so you have a 1.25m cone adapter and a .625m cap, for example). This will reduce RAM load by about 700mb and give lots of new toys to play with, while cleaning up the parts catalog a bit. I'll make both a standalone (needs B9 though) version and Squad knock-out version of the configs.

1.25m Rover/Cabin (tandem 2-seater) - Needs internals, but otherwise functioning well...the seam doesn't show up in the game, btw.

Untitled_1.png

Mk1-2 Inline Cockpit Replacement - Functioning very well in game.

pod1.png

S2 Widebody Command Bridge/Bomber Cabin (5 or 6 crew) - Needs a re-make because of texturing FUBAR

S2w.png

Original B9 wings will remain, but thinner Squad-sized remakes with original shapes will also be done, including Mig-29/F-15 style delta wing, 2 "swept versions" (realistic and rounded sci-fi), and some flaps/elevators/winglets re-done.

I'm knocking out about 1 cockpit per night, but I think wings will go a lot faster. Fuel tanks of a variety of sizes and colors are already done - just a matter of config manipulation. Engines and intakes will be last because I'll need to downgrade my Unity version to make them work. Project should take 2 months and I'm definitely entertaining requests.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.