If I reset the WASD key, SHIFT no longer works for fine part rotation

I've reset my key binding to make them easier for me (left handed game) to reach some of the handier keys and to make it more intuitive for me. Unfortunately, I've created a problem in the process.

Now that I don't use the WASD keys for part rotation, i seem to have lost the ability to do fine part rotation. SHIFT no longer works for that purpose and i don't see anywhere that i can reassign a new key for that.

Any thoughts on a workaround or fix would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Caps Lock toggles between Standard and Fine Controls while in flight. Micco is correct; under standard key bindings, SHIFT + rotational keys causes the part to rotate by 5 degrees instead of 90.

I vaguely recall that a similar issue was posted in the past, but I don't recall if it was ever resolved. Apologies that I can't provide anything more than that, as my forum search skills seem to be failing me today.

I've reset my key binding to make them easier for me (left handed game) to reach some of the handier keys and to make it more intuitive for me. Unfortunately, I've created a problem in the process.

Now that I don't use the WASD keys for part rotation, i seem to have lost the ability to do fine part rotation. SHIFT no longer works for that purpose and i don't see anywhere that i can reassign a new key for that.

Any thoughts on a workaround or fix would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Usually when I see lefties post about remapping the keyboard, they are putting WASD on the numeric keypad arrows. If that's the case, it doesn't work so well in the editor. I think windows (or maybe the keyboard itself) treats holding SHIFT and pressing the numeric arrow keys as if you're using the regular arrow keys. So you're actually inputting arrow keys, instead of SHIFT-Numeric Keypad.

Unfortunately, you can't remap the SHIFT-ROTATE function in KSP. At least not as far as I've been able to find in the settings.cfg. (Maybe there's a plugin?)

What you can do is remap rotation to the regular arrow keys (instead of the numeric keypad) and the roll rotation to HOME and PGUP. Then turn off your NUM LOCK and enjoy. (You might have to shuffle a few other key bindings depending on what else you did.)

EDIT: I forgot, you can also remap your numeric pad arrow keybindings with the NUM LOCK off instead of doing the arrow keys. That will make sure sure it's taking the correct keys.

For example, your VAB / SPH keybindings should look like:

Pitch Part Down: UpArrow

Pitch Part Up: DownArrow

Yaw Part Left: LeftArrow

Yaw Part Right: RightArrow

Roll Part Left: Home

Roll Part Right: PageUp

You'll have to remove PageUp from "Scroll View Up" in that same section.

Edited by Claw

Claw,

OK this might work. I wonder if my issue is because i'm trying to use the number pad rather than the arrow keys.

I'l try this and let you know what i find out.

Thank you for your reply.

Claw,

OK this might work. I wonder if my issue is because i'm trying to use the number pad rather than the arrow keys.

I'l try this and let you know what i find out.

Thank you for your reply.

If you're using the numeric keypad, then that's exactly your problem.

However, in case it wasn't exactly clear in my post, you can actually still use the numeric keypad. After you remap the keys as I listed, turn OFF the NUMLOCK on your keyboard. Then you can use the numeric keypad for 90 degree rotations, and SHIFT + numeric keypad for fine rotations. (You're actually remapping to the arrow keys, but when you turn off NUMLOCK, you're telling the keyboard to use the arrow key part of the numeric keypad, instead of the numbers.)

If you have any other parts of the UI mapped to the numeric keypad (such as docking or steering), you might want to remap those too. That way you don't have to keep turning the NUMLOCK on and off when you leave the editor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.