Soooo Many Things Fixed

NeoMorph

Some of the things that have niggled me since I started flying rockets in KSP have been sorted and that makes me a happy bunny.

For example... no more having to hit the action button twice at launch just to activate something. SRB's no longer fall off your rocket at launch (oh thank you, thank you).... And the performance... I accidentally left on Kerbal Engineer on my rocket and the game didn't turn into stop motion when I launched it. FREAKIN AWESOME.

So while the Asteroids are a nice addition I find it's the little things that make all the difference.

Thanks Squad.

KER's one thing that I've found really does lag my game out. I updated it with the development dlls to get proper support for the new parts, it wasn't so bad with the stable version on .23. So for the moment I'm sticking to just the build engineer.

Otherwise, things are much better. Still not perfect though, but that's probably my wimpy computer.

Squad still hasn't fixed the symmetrically copied parts from losing their action key setting in VAB and SPH.

But have they gone too far with strengthened parts?

I haven't come across a class E but here's one of a class C I managed to capture.

Is this heat shield big enough for ya?...

LuA2hDsh.png

Looks like this is right on target...

eRlWjJSh.png

Time to let go...

I7tkvYeh.png

Look out below...

E3rvklYh.png

The VAB took a glancing blow to the roof and the rock rolled off...

Nj5wKegh.png

Rolled off?... WTF!?!... Are these asteroids made of paper mache?

Where's the earth shattering KABOOM!?!

3ZIrqMih.png

I really wanted to see an earth shattering kaboom... ;'(

(OK I know the buildings are static but the asteroid too?)

Well that was underwhelming...

CfqEp5rh.png

Ok let's rip the ship apart by holding onto the asteroid as the chutes deploy...

6bsTN68h.png

OMG!!! One tiny claw manages to hold onto this big asteroid as all the chutes open!?!

I'm all for stronger parts, holding together better without struts, but this is ridiculous...

LOL... That is a bit... much, I do have to say.

One other thing I just found... EVA has changed slightly. When you pop your Kerbals out of the craft it doesn't automatically switch to the Kerbal on the ladder. It stays locked to the craft you are in. Now if it's just your lander it's not a problem but when you are in the middle of a bunch of stuff you have to keep hitting the ] button to switch to the guy on the ladder.

you have to keep hitting the ] button to switch to the guy on the ladder.

"Okay, we have to deorbit the orbital insertion stage because it has a probe core"

*switch*

"Dang fairings"

*switch*

*switch*

*switch*

*switch*

"COME ON!!!"

*switch*

"I hate this"

A fun filled day of tapping ] later...

"The orbital stage is deorbited!"

Basically my KSP experience.

Still planning on landing a class E on Kerbin. Powered landing.

Presumably followed by a quick refueling, a launch to orbit and a second powered descent? Just to totally nail the 'W' prize... :)

since it is so easy to land an asteroid on kerbin (hey, powered landing just means, that there is no parachute on it, and somewhere is an engine running, slowing it down below crash tolerance.... and that thing would do that already just by aerobreaking).

the really difficult thing is: fly an E-class asteroid to tylo and land it there.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

KER's one thing that I've found really does lag my game out. I updated it with the development dlls to get proper support for the new parts, it wasn't so bad with the stable version on .23. So for the moment I'm sticking to just the build engineer.

It would be appreciated if you could give feedback like this (well, with more detail, preferably) in the development thread. What is your machine spec (CPU, RAM, video card)? What sort of crafts are you seeing lag with?

I would appreciate a post from everyone that tries it so I can get a good picture of the reliability...

Yeah... the node work is one thing I forgot to mention. WAY better than having a NEARLY perfect node... and then have it go POP! was a real annoying feature of pre-23.5 builds. The number of times I have wanted to throw my keyboard (and actually did a couple of times... with a nicely stretched wire that causes random disconnects that I have really got to get around to fixing lol).

There are some new bugs though (vanishing Kerbals when getting back into craft... which may be due to ECLSS tbh but it didn't happen before 23.5. But I really love the fact that even my cheapo graphics card (due to my really good one going boooom) can run it like a dragster is making life hell... Why hell? Well I keep adding more mods just to see what it can handle lol...

Something that hasn't been fixed is the "microfreezing". For instance, when building a big rocket in the VAB (and sometimes during flight), the rhythmic hesitation every few seconds while it's doing memory garbage collection or something. I keep hoping that will go away. It's not that noticeable with smaller ships, and seems to come and go while I'm in flight. But the VAB gets irritating. Did it on both my old and new computers.

It's disappointing you don't even need to do powered landings to bring an asteroid down to Kerbin. Once captured they're indestructible persistent debris.

I've dropped them from orbit only to have them make impact, a dull thud, at +100 m/s, terminal velocity. The parachute drop I made slowed it down to 22 m/s

and that's without yanking the claw off or ripping my ship apart. My lander, by itself, lands at 8~10 m/s. That's a difference of 12 m/s. Hardly massive at all.

Obviously they are movie prop asteroids made of foam or paper mache, with hardly any mass to them.

I love the idea but the implementation of it just wasn't finished IMHO.

@Squad: Please fix the losing of action key settings on parts when copying in X symmetry in VAB or SPH. This hasn't been addressed in any patches.

Edited by Landge

Also maneuver nodes are saved when quickloading or changing vessels. Makes planning and adjustments so much easier.

That is going to make planning and flying multiple interplanetary missions a lot easier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.