Reach for orbit with an ion glider!

EEtestorbit1_zps46dacd83.jpg

Eve Express in a 70x70 LKO orbit.

Manned ion SSTO with clamp-o-tron jr. for refueling in orbit. It's an infiniglider, so it can fly anywhere on the planet without using fuel. Just raise the gear to park.

EEtestorbit2_zpsc52fec87.jpg

Jeb after a successful mission

EVE express.craft

I have to figure out how to hyperedit so I can test it on all the planets with atmospheres.

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

• 1 month later...
Pretty much every high score here uses locked control surfaces as wings... I made a video showing how wonky the physics of locked control surfaces is, I thought you may appreciate it.

Just goes to show how tough a job this really is, at least in stock aero.

I've made an infiniglider that carries a useful payload to orbit, and a glider with control surfaces and drop tanks that made it, but I've never been able to make a full-on SSTO glider that could reach orbit.

Best,

-Slashy

• 1 month later...
This ugly thing can get into orbit in under 25 minutes using multiple stages for a high average t/w. The best I've managed so far is 23:10 approximately.

http://imgur.com/a/kda9G

Here is a much simpler and slower ion ship, but it's an ssto, and it is still capable of reaching orbit in under 30 minutes.

http://imgur.com/a/UIAvA

Iam also trying to built a perfect Ion Glider and maximize TWR where it's possible, but your first construction is confusing.

What's confusing me is your first screenshot: By 2minutes17 you climbed 2730m | 48 m/s by using 203 XenonGas - Although, simple math calculations would lead to 331,54 which most likely is 61% more with 5 Ion Engines at full throttle.

Now could you please explain me how you achieved these results without using any kind of glitch, modification or anything else?

Thanks in advance

Update:

This challenge has been completely broken by Tsevion.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85728-Ion-glider-collier-trophy!?p=1548671&viewfull=1#post1548671

The first time in the history of KSP, a Kerbal has been placed in orbit and returned to Kerbin in a stock installation using an ion SSTO composed of all stock parts and absolutely no glitch exploits. It doesn't even *have* control surfaces!

Best,

-Slashy

• 1 month later...

I started this project aiming to make a solar research plane for Duna. Then I found this thread and my project got interesting. This is my entry so far. It's a 2 stage design and is big with more than 550 parts. The first stage gets it to around 18km, the next stage takes it up to the max altitude which currently is 22km at 550m/s surface speed before running out of fuel.

Aesthetics are important to me so I am deliberately trying to make a plane that is reminiscent of actual solar aircraft.

All control surfaces are disabled.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Tyr Anasazi

Hmm...

Meanwhile there's me and my super-derpy ion potato thing which is supposed to be an Eve SSTO.

screenshot0.png

EDIT:

which didn't work.

It got to only 8,000m, which is not bad I guess. The climb rate was pretty good too, and it flew awesome with 4x physics warp.

Obvious answer:

MOAR ENGINES!

Edited by 2001kraft

• 2 weeks later...

OK this is getting ridiculous.

Seeing as control surfaces are frowned on I have stopped using those. Seeing as the challenge has already been "won", I am focusing on taking it to the next stage - Putting proper manned modules into orbit.

This is what I have so far. It's a 2-stage design that takes a MK-II cockpit with 2 kerbals to 21km, reaching 478m/s. The first stage needs tuning to reach higher, and I haven't yet reinforced the wings to avoid physics warping.

Have a look:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Hast5250 said:

Is this dead? I think I'm going to make an entry, but only if this thread is not dead.

Since KSP 1.0, ion engines have almost zero thrust at 1 atm. I don’t think it’s possible to do this challenge on Kerbin.

You could try your luck with Laythe though. Perhaps, it’s also impossible, but the chances are much better with its thinner atmosphere and lower gravitation: