Science, Engineering, and the Tech Tree

I was thinking about the current Science/Tech Tree system today, and had an idea. I (like others) would like to see more to science than points. I'm sure Squad has refinements coming through the pipeline - so I'm confident that the final-release version will be great. But, why not post an idea anyway?

There's a disconnect between gathering generic science points, and unlocking technology on the tree. Why would detecting Negative Gravioli particles on Minimus lead to developing a bigger engine or a larger crew module? How does recovering a Kerbal from Duna lead to designing a better solar panel?

My idea is to split the tech tree into two parts - Science, and Engineering. Each would have their own points system. Science points would come from current science experiments - surface samples, materials studies, goo, etc. These points could be spent on related technologies. I'm not quite sure how to define "related," though. Obviously - better science instruments. Maybe more efficient solar panels, or new types of propulsion?

Engineering points would come from successful recovery of craft from various locations (implying that there is innovation with rocket design). Other sources could be milestones in payload size, crew size, efficiency (in parts, fuel usage, etc). Perhaps there could be separate categories for stations, probes, landers, and bases. These points would be used for bigger engines, crew modules, etc. Just bigger, better stuff.

Basically, my main point is that large-scale rocket engineering could become it's own thing with regards to the tech tree/science points.

Thoughts?

What I think would work for everyone is letting players click and drag tech into nodes, make new ones, set values, whenever you start a new game. That way you get the tree you want, default is the tutorial setup, and no need to find a mod that only 'almost' fits your idea.

Eh, I like the science tree the way it is. I'm waiting to see how reputation and money integrate into the whole picture because apparently you will be able to interchange currency. Then you'll be able to run your "missions" for money and reputation, exchange either for science points, and then unlock nodes. Or use all that science you gained from Minmus to finance a trip to Eeloo. Anyway, I think the disconnect will make a lot more sense once the other currencies and mechanics are in place.

Eh, I like the science tree the way it is. I'm waiting to see how reputation and money integrate into the whole picture because apparently you will be able to interchange currency. Then you'll be able to run your "missions" for money and reputation, exchange either for science points, and then unlock nodes. Or use all that science you gained from Minmus to finance a trip to Eeloo. Anyway, I think the disconnect will make a lot more sense once the other currencies and mechanics are in place.

The thing I don't get about the exchangeable currencies is why have different currencies at all? Have it all be Kerbin dollars and use it how you like.

Unless there's a loss on exchange in every direction, I suppose.

The thing I don't get about the exchangeable currencies is why have different currencies at all? Have it all be Kerbin dollars and use it how you like.

Sure, sounds great to me; I don't mind "meta" in my games, I play them for fun. But for OP that might be a bit too much of a problem with disconnect given that's what s/he's trying to solve.

Unless there's a loss on exchange in every direction, I suppose.

There probably will be some loss. But I like the dev's ideas because they promote differences in playstyle, different ways of achieving goals. Not saying OP's idea doesn't do that, but it's just additional complication to a pretty simple system in order to reduce disconnect.

That is a very well thought out suggestion. Unfortunately Squad doesn't see the tech tree as an expression of technological progression, but rather as a method of replacing tutorials.

This

I'm sure contracts hold what we feel as the exploration. Something as simple as do an experiment for reputation in the kerbal science community would blend things together better :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.