Real-Time KSP

Sidoz11

A KSP-sized Apollo-style Mun mission, run efficiently, can be completed in 12-14 hours from launch to splashdown. Of course the vast bulk of that will be spent cruising through the void between Kerbin and the Mun with nothing to do. This is quite reasonable if you have a day off. Whether it's fun or not... Well that's a different question.

It might get interesting if you use the Telemachus setup with a twist: have three guys in a very small room (with some snacks, drinks and a bucket) be the CSM. Transfer two guys over to a very very small room (with fewer snacks, fewer drinks, and a smaller bucket) to simulate the lander. Have some more guys in a spacious room (with plenty of snacks, lots of drinks, a proper restroom and work shifts) boss them around using telemetry. Livestream for our amusement. As a social experiment alone it should be worth it.

Once you get to the Mun are you going to go out in your back yard and bounce around on a trampoline in a scuba suit? Then you can sleep in a tent for a night or two before locking yourself back in your CSM.

And absolutely live stream for our amusement!

A KSP-sized Apollo-style Mun mission, run efficiently, can be completed in 12-14 hours from launch to splashdown. Of course the vast bulk of that will be spent cruising through the void between Kerbin and the Mun with nothing to do. This is quite reasonable if you have a day off. Whether it's fun or not... Well that's a different question.

It might get interesting if you use the Telemachus setup with a twist: have three guys in a very small room (with some snacks, drinks and a bucket) be the CSM. Transfer two guys over to a very very small room (with fewer snacks, fewer drinks, and a smaller bucket) to simulate the lander. Have some more guys in a spacious room (with plenty of snacks, lots of drinks, a proper restroom and work shifts) boss them around using telemetry. Livestream for our amusement. As a social experiment alone it should be worth it.

That sounds like such a good idea... Challenge accepted :D

I spend a lot of time in real time and only warp a short while (so far) in my current career save (started in 0.23 and updated into 0.23.5) - the reason is not because I am trying to do it in real time, but because I want to finish off the tech tree in the minimum game time (one more set of science that has been on it's way from Minmus for more than 3 game days, I missed them at the first PE) and I am on day 13. Once that is done, my goal is minimum game time until I have returned a Kerbal, and sample, from each celestial body that you can land on (Kerbol and Jool are the ones you can't). So, I have more than twenty actual flights in progress, three armadas (bound for Eve, Moho, and a class E 'roid). I will be warping time as needed, but I build the ships and launch them as soon as a reasonable (but high energy) trajectory is available for each planetary SOI.

Well I don't use time warp, I use warp drive! Going in Jool in several minutes and 10 minutes insertion burn

With that aside, because my KSP install is RSS + Realism Overhaul modded, going to moon with conventional drive takes 8 hours... The closest thing that I do is a hypersonic flight to one of SCANsat detected anomaly in nearby continent, and that at 1000 m/s, that requires 1 hour of flying. Unfortunately, my plane suffers some instability and it stalls :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.