Weight

spaceman1999

I just use whatever parts seem suitable as a dummy payload.

The reactors from Near Future Propulsion are quite heavy for example, so I used a few of those the last time I designed an SSTO.

...Stresstesting an experimental spaceplane by loading it with nuclear reactors might not be the safest thing to do. But it's quite kerbal!

So how do you test weight capabilities of your rockets? Do you use dummy payloads or mods?

I didn't originally. For a long time, I just built something specific to the payload, eyeballing it, until it looked good enough to do a test. If it didn't make orbit, I added more boosters or something, and tried again. Trial and error, with usually only a couple of test launches needed, if that. Sometimes it was just fine as is.

With ARM, I decided to standardize my lifters, so I made test payloads with precise weights, at 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, and 200 tons. I tuned lifters to handle the 50, 100, 150, and 200 ton weights such that they could get the payload into a 150km circular equatorial orbit, with the last stage of the lifter attached with about 25% or 33% of its fuel left (for a margin of error in payload weights, or launching into more inclined orbits). Since then I've also added a 275 ton category (because one of my asteroid tugs hit that weight).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.