Show Off your New Ion-Powered / Xenon Fueled Crafts! (0.90)

Hello, everyone! With the latest ARM 0.23.5 update, The Ion Engine has been amped up from 0.5 thrust to a full 2.0! This means that we can now build crafts based on the Ion technology in ways we simply couldn't before. In my tinkering this week, I've found that Ion landers can capably target every world except Eve, Laythe, and Tylo. Even Laythe is probably achievable with some careful design.

This thread is simple: Show us what you've created with the new-and-improved Ion Technology.

If you haven't given Ions another go since the update, I recommend giving it a go!

To start things off, here's a summary of this thread's Ion ships so far

(Updated 7/23/2014)

xfqju7Y.pngsaiNkf9.pngq2pPmXx.png

iOGSOID.pngeoUe4TI.pngLAPop96.png

WIAP82n.pngiaD45cb.png4A36yN4.png

UYUKQxV.png

FZ0T3AP.pngySr6wrZ.pngqlqaVcw.png

wL3YkIS.pngAX5uFGp.pngBXDzpkl.png

W4lszZy.pngms7IXEC.pnglx4MrHE.png

M5FXAQE.pngc3PkekN.pngJNRYyKu.png

j8Dyhgk.png

zyOfx3j.pngbchRkh7.pngKl1bqzf.png

And a photo set of my own Kruphix III Lander on it's test run mission to the Mun

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Special thanks to RocketscientistV for the tip on imgur embedding!

Last Notes: If you don't name your craft, it will get the most generic description when added to frontpage!

The word "Xenon" has been added into the thread title, so that it may be searched easier.

Edited by Camaron

I built an ion-powered Mun lander some time ago.

ion_mun_2.jpeg

This was a development version that didn't have enough batteries to land without help from the command module. It's still the best screenshot I have left to see the general design.

ion_mun_4.jpg

Here is the final lander with more batteries (and a ladder). The batteries last for 5.5-6 minutes at full thrust, which gives some margin of error for the landing.

Cool I found the thread! As promised here are some pics of a few of my Duna Ion Hoppers and Ion engine powered SSTOs

AE9BA6A4564A24081F105399980F92DFA95607FA

CCED7DF8A982C2282339D2FB4FF07D7AEFF9F665

99F0287CCD502D2A046C0EFC94ED8FC12E4EA51E

0A81C64A9E8ADC19DF57F9B46D4E6FD87F1C81FC

9561461F42CEEDA00EAD976681198B6E8F3F90CE

229DE17C438840C1D5886F915DACB1B64E3109F0

Heres a link to the Craft shown just above this text! (Note- it is a subassembly)

http://pastebin.com/zW1AdkjN

I'll post more pictures as I continue my work

(Probualy going so see if I can do Moho as well!)

Edited by DerpenWolf

Eager to test out how powerful the new ion engines were, I modified a stock craft, ripped out all the fuel tanks and engines, and replaced it with batteries and xenon tanks. The range is about 90km, which isn't the best, but considering it's not a purpose built craft, not too bad.

S7l8fKK.jpg

I then decided to do an endurance run with it, so I set up fuel stations every 80km, leading west, then north west from the space center.

0D1bGKs.jpg

I wouldn't recommend spending any time trying to make an Ion-exclusive Eve craft. Just think of how impossible it is to even get off of Kerbin and remember that Eve has even more atmosphere and significantly higher gravity.

Tylo, on the other hand... Might make for an appropriately VERY difficult challenge but I can imagine that it may actually be possible.

I just completed an Ion-lander challenge for myself by landing on, and re-orbiting from Moho, in a craft I call "Gravidon III - Moho Edition". (Very similar to the base G3 in the starting post). I'll be chronicling the event soon, I have about 60 photos of the adventure.

Edit: If Jouni's numbers are accurate, Tylo is absolutely impossible with a pure-Ion craft. Do not attempt.

Edited by Camaron

Yes, please exploit a blatantly broken part that used to be perfectly balanced and horribly overpowered relative to real life technology.

What? Don't give me that look, of course I'm going to exploit it just as much!

I don't know, the thing weighs as much as a too-scale solid lead replica of itself. (seriously, do the math if you don't believe me) would a real ion engine that weighed as much as a small cow have that much thrust? I don't know, but nobody has probably ever made one.

Tylo, on the other hand... Might make for an appropriately VERY difficult challenge but I can imagine that it may actually be possible.

That doesn't seem doable. The ion engine itself, without any payload or fuel, has TWR 1.02 at Tylo. If we want to keep TWR > 1, each engine can have at most 4.77 kg of stuff attached to it at liftoff. If that's entirely fuel in the better xenon tank, we have 27.8 units of xenon, which is enough for approximately 57 seconds. If we launch vertically, the first ascent stage will probably lift to around 100-200 m.

So, while Tylo landing with ion engines is theoretically possible, I'm not going to guess how many zeroes the part count of the minimal lander will have.

Here are some Ion crafts on Dres and Moho.

I took this Ion craft to two planets that were previously untouchable to Ion crafts to demonstrate what they can be capable of. My main design requirement with the Kruphix series is to carry the Lander Can along, as a true standalone spacecraft and lander manned by a Kerbal.

I like these pics cause they show how drastically different the solar conditions are between the two planets. Also, they're really good pics anyway :P

Kruphix III - Moho Edition

S7wLVPK.png

Kruphix III on Dres

KXeeAC1.png

Kruphix V is under development to reliably target Vall.

Edited by Camaron

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an experimental thing I've made along the lines of "Heavy" Ion Crafts, the Keranos II

bhDWhdx.jpg

It's actually really useful, and made astonishingly easy work of a Class A asteroid grab earlier. It has plenty about it that can improve, however, (like the fact that its battery capacity is dramatically higher than it ever needs to be) so there will be newer better versions in the future.

Edited by Camaron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.