One Jump EVA Challenge

Spoiler warning: Jeb starts this scenario standing under a Munar Arch. If you use this scenario file, you will see what one looks like, and know where it is.

screenshot103.png

It’s a simple challenge. The aim is to test your ability to fly a Kerbal for distance over the Mun, without a navball or any other mods that might give you help with altitude or speed.

Jeb’s on the Mun, standing under a Munar Arch, and next to a flag.

Make one Jump to get off the surface.

Fly as far away from the flag as you can using suitjets. The moment Jeb touches /anything/ else, You have to stop using the suitjets.

Land safely.

Come to a stop.

Stand up. Plant a flag.

Take a screenshot showing the flag you just planted and the icon of the flag under the arch in the distance, like so.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4057920/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/v0.23.5/Screenshots/screenshot100.png

Take a screenshot showing the map view, with the coordinates of Jeb and his flag displayed.

Link that screenshot, and tell us the coordinates.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4057920/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/v0.23.5/Screenshots/screenshot102.png

Your score is the distance between the two.

Spoiler warning: Jeb starts this scenario standing under a Munar Arch. If you use this scenario file, you will see what one looks like, and know where it is.

Download the Challenge Scenario File from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4057920/KSP%20Shipshare/v0.23/Jump.sfs

And place it in the /scenarios directory in your /saves folder.

Leaderboard of best attempts.

[table=width: 500]

[tr]

[td]Rank[/td]

[td]User[/td]

[td]Final Coordinates[/td]

[td]Distance[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Aphobius[/td]

[td]9*5'17"N, 59*44'50"E[/td]

[td]72.0km [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2[/td]

[td]Kevin_010[/td]

[td]5°28'48" N, 57°13'40" E[/td]

[td]67.3km[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]3[/td]

[td]vat21s[/td]

[td]30° 28' 41" N, 37° 17' 55" E[/td]

[td]63.7 Km[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]4[/td]

[td]MarvinKitFox[/td]

[td]10°38'50" N, 53°57'12" E[/td]

[td]50.4 km[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]5[/td]

[td]Kasuha[/td]

[td]22°7'14" N, 39°26'25" E[/td]

[td]31.4 km[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]6[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Edited by maltesh
Updating Leaderboard, adding vat21s' Entry

What if I manage to get more than 100km from the first flag?

Then we’ll assume that the Mun is a perfect sphere, and use this great Circle Calculator to get an earthly Great circle distance:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/map_greatcircle_distance.htm

And we’ll get the Munar chord distance by plugging this formula

400 * sin (d /12756.2 )

Where d is the distance in kilometers given by the great circle calculator. The above equation assumes that your calculator is using radians, which both the Google Search Bar and Wolfram Alpha do by default. The result will be your distance score.

Yeah, I found it extremely difficult to judge altitudes and speeds with a flying Kerbal. I'm going to have to give this a few more tries, because both of you have done /much/ better than I managed to pull off when designing the challenge.

Okay. Here are my results.

Here are some pictures (could not get a distance, the damn distance marker went off the draw distance limit I guess.) But I believe this one to be the longest yet.

Pictures:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Video showing you how the magic is done:

http://www.twitch.tv/othuyeg/c/4059287

PS: No, I am not expecting this to be accepted as a legitimate entry.

edit: maybe I win the style category.

Edited by Othuyeg

Cripes, Aphobius, you really went down to the wire on Eva fuel there. How far did jeb wind up falling, approximately?

I didn't looked at the flag until I stopped.

But I'll be honest, there is a bug that makes you bounce up after you hit the ground pretty hard, you might even use RCS after that (I didn't). If you gave this challenge a few tries, I'm sure you've seen it at least once. Anyway, I suspect Kevin used it too (EDIT: the bug I mean).

EDIT: The main problem with the bug is that you can continue using RCS after hitting the ground (which I didn't), but I'm not sure if it allows you to hit the ground faster then what without the bug would have killed you.

Edited by Aphobius

But I'll be honest, there is a bug that makes you bounce up after you hit the ground pretty hard, you might even use RCS after that (I didn't). If you gave this challenge a few tries, I'm sure you've seen it at least once. Anyway, I suspect Kevin used it too (EDIT: the bug I mean).

EDIT: The main problem with the bug is that you can continue using RCS after hitting the ground (which I didn't), but I'm not sure if it allows you to hit the ground faster then what without the bug would have killed you.

I have no beef with bouncing or sliding, as long as you obey the rules to stop using the suitjets, For the purposes of this challenge,I consider that a completely acceptable tactic.

Video showing you how the magic is done:

http://www.twitch.tv/othuyeg/c/4059287

PS: No, I am not expecting this to be accepted as a legitimate entry.

Heh, besides the obvious ( I disabled going to the VAB in the original scenario), you kinda landed your apparatus at the wrong Munar Arch. :D

Heh, besides the obvious ( I disabled going to the VAB in the original scenario), you kinda landed your apparatus at the wrong Munar Arch. :D

Oh well... I still got far. I could go a lot further if I tweaked it a little bit.

Can you grab hold of the Mun with a claw?

Using the pack after bouncing would be against the rules, but I did bounce the kerbal a little bit. It was a short distance at relatively low speed though, pretty much a standard transfer using slightly too much fuel on the 'up' side, nothing near what should be possible with luck abuse. Personally I would not have allowed bouncing if I made this challenge, because of the high variability it allows. It is what it is now though, so abuse it :D

I usually post videos, so I've made a video since it's kinda easy to cheat (by using RCS after the bounce or by just walking xD). I've got only 70.8km in the video, but since it's kinda luck based and a little boring, I'll not give it more tries if no one beats it. Anyway it's pretty close to the other entry and I still had some fuel left.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I intended to prohibit walking. Just Jump up, use suitjets, come down, land, skid, or bounce to a stop, and plant the flag as close as you can to point where that happens.

vat21s, do you have a map-screen image like the others have posted?

Could someone walk me through how to get the scenario file on my ksp. Im a noob with computers XD

EDIT: Doesnt matter now i found a way. my computer was saving it as a txt file and dont think it was a unicode or something like that. I just copied and pasted the txt from the link you put. Opened the EVA scenario persistence. replaced that with the txt from the link saved it as unicode. Like i said i have know idea :D It worked

Edited by Robbii6

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I intended to prohibit walking. Just Jump up, use suitjets, come down, land, skid, or bounce to a stop, and plant the flag as close as you can to point where that happens.

vat21s, do you have a map-screen image like the others have posted?

Yes but it wouldn't shrink I'll give you a direct link.

http://imgur.com/dR5X5Fq

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.