Better Atmospheres Development Thread

ClPswlC.png?1?4432

Welcome to the Better Atmospheres Development thread.

This page will be fixed up soon, but for now the foundation will be laid down.

Post any bugs, or development suggestions here. Updates and the like will be posted here, but no releases will be posted here.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Nice one, and yes that was the photo I was referring too :)

Oh btw when I get back to my PC in a week, I'll start testing this (+ on RSS).

I think the release of .23.5 has marked that time of year for a ksp spring clean. Need to rebuild my gamedata folder from scratch again, but it's a healthy, annual, cyclical process that just needs doing every now and then :cool:

Edited by pingopete

Looks good. Close up it looks no more dusty not like it would glow. That is probably the hardest part. Make it glow like our Moon but not look weird on close up the same time :)

Btw Did you use Distant Object Enhancement or why does it look so extremely like the "Rising Earth" Picture in the first screenshot :D

Is it possible to make the cloud shadows, visible at the bottom left here, more noticeable from low orbit.

XYKryJi.png

They take the clouds from awesome, to 'Sweet mother of Kirbin and all that is holy, is that real?!'

Edited by pingopete

I like the white clouds on Jool, it always seemed weird to me that the VisualEnhancements version was pretty featureless. Also like the realism of having fewer belts than Jupiter, given that it rotates more slowly (after allowing for the different scale of KSP).

It feels a bit heavy on the saturation. Not to say that it looks bad, but Willy Wonka went bananas on the solar system. Everything is just so vibrant, it just seems like you may have gone a bit overboard making everything *pop*. Having a cohesive visual style is as important as having interesting things to look at, so you might want to make your own background as well. Those of us that have more subdued star fields may feel like me in saying its a bit colorful. Once again, not insisting you should change it, just that it may not match everyone's backgrounds and you might consider making one of your own, or at least endorsing one you think works well.

Like the new Jool (though maybe the green/white balance could be shifted a bit in favor of green, to conform to canon?).

The Mun seems a little too low-contrast to me -- I know the full moon really does look washed out like that from Earth, but a lot of the Apollo orbital footage showed pretty clear craters. Since KSP terrain doesn't (yet) cast shadows, I think you need some other way to make craters/mountains discernible from orbit. Otherwise, picking a landing site might be a little too hard.

Mun looks fine from Kerbin but in lunar orbit (18km) it's weird. I changed the settings as you've written in the readme. Here are some pictures:

https://i.imgur.com/hLSfp2j.png

https://i.imgur.com/SJGkK3F.png

Don't worry, this is getting fixed. In the mean time, make sure you changed both Scaled and Regular settings to "Fadedist: 100". The new EVE let's me save these fade dist settings and such.

Don't worry, this is getting fixed. In the mean time, make sure you changed both Scaled and Regular settings to "Fadedist: 100". The new EVE let's me save these fade dist settings and such.

Allright, thank you! Anyway it's good to see a mod like this. The Mun especially looks good on the new images you shared.

Mun's looking pretty nice. I like it. I feel like there's a bit too much white in Jool though.

This still too white or too green?

Bhi7J6o.png?1

Like the new Jool (though maybe the green/white balance could be shifted a bit in favor of green, to conform to canon?).

The Mun seems a little too low-contrast to me -- I know the full moon really does look washed out like that from Earth, but a lot of the Apollo orbital footage showed pretty clear craters. Since KSP terrain doesn't (yet) cast shadows, I think you need some other way to make craters/mountains discernible from orbit. Otherwise, picking a landing site might be a little too hard.

I really am trying hard to make it glow and have the craters clearly visible. I think this is something Squad will have to implement themselves to get perfect.

Here's what i got now.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Getting this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/syu130hqmohmc54/screenshot96.png

Is it possible at all to prevent that?

EDIT: Saw the readme. I've already downloaded EVE 7-2 - does that version have the config file saving thing you've been mentioning, or do I still have to configure each time

Edited by theSpeare

This still too white or too green?

url] Bhi7J6o.png?1

I think it's fine now. The description fits:

Jool is particularly known for being a rather large, predominantly green planet. Kerbalkind has longed to visit it since it was first spotted in the sky. Philosophers reason that the swirling green planet must be a really nice place to visit, on account of its wholesome coloration.
I really am trying hard to make it glow and have the craters clearly visible. I think this is something Squad will have to implement themselves to get perfect.

Here's what i got now.

http://imgur.com/a/wS6HQ

Ok, point taken. If there's no way to do both, I'll stop complaining about it.

Here's what i got now.

You could try adding a darker layer that's at a much lower altitude, so it's only visible in the low-lands and craters. It worked quite well when I was messing around with it.

This is kind of the opposite, but you get the idea (From running an RSS install).

KECNQmz.png?1

And my own version of Laythe. Essentially because I liked the planet from the Forever War.

eR8s0RV.png