Color Challenge

This challenge is simple, yet at the same time very difficult. From one launch, you must plant a flag on every planet, and have the probe stay with the flag. Each additional moon a flag is planted on from this on launch yields a point. Hitting the sun with one will earn 2. Each probe must be a unique colour, through KerbPaint.

To be clear. One launch. A number of multicoloured probes then swarm the solar system, landing on planets and moons.

Successful Land on All Planet(ers?):

Highscores:

Perfectionists:

Mechjeb will be allowed, but I urge you not to use it, for the sake of the challenge.

Have fun!

Sounds like a great challenge..

Now show us your own attempt? How about ranking/scoring?

Or do you need to go back and re-read the challenge rules.

p.s.

I'm not going to do this challenge, as I'm not about to abandon more than a dozen kerbals on one-way trips.

I'm not going to do this challenge, as I'm not about to abandon more than a dozen kerbals on one-way trips.

The probe only needs to stay on the planet for the duration of the challenge. After that, it can return.

Yeah, to plant a flag needs a Kerbal, making this challenge boil down to: Land a Kerbal on every planet (even Jool, which is possible, but glitchy as heck), and as many moons as possible, and make a probe sundive - all from one launch.

It's perfectly possible - anything's possible if you've got a big enough rocket - but even without returns it's a big mission.

That would be fine; the point of this challenge is not the colours; but the "one launch" portion. The colours are secondary.

One launch to land every celestial body in the Kerbol system would be an extraordinary vehicle. In fact I don't think I've even ever seen such a thing. All of its components together would require at least 15km/s of delta-V!

worth a go. I've already got a standard injector probe that can go from encounter to orbit around just about any body (and still weigh less than 3 tons), and a booster vehicle that carries over 60km/s delta-v (for a single engine stage with inline droptanks, that ain't bad! Here it is in action). Soon's I'm done with today's batch of video renders, I'll be firing up the ol' .23 :)

Edited by ihtoit

One launch to land every celestial body in the Kerbol system would be an extraordinary vehicle. In fact I don't think I've even ever seen such a thing. All of its components together would require at least 15km/s of delta-V!

Allow me to introduce you to Abyssal Lurker:

Check out his second launch 3:00 minutes in, though the whole video is worth the watch.

Sure, it's unmanned, but I have no doubt he could do it manned as well.

I would recommend all of his videos.

Edited by Yasmy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.