mSSTO (micro SSTO) Challenge

nice one, cyberklad - now first for weight, and second for least amount of parts used :) I have used the weight in your screenshot for fairness, (and by the way F1 is the default screenshot button - gets stored in the KSP main folder in a handy folder called 'screenshots' - unless windowed mode does that?) More pictures will mean fairer judgement :wink:

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

I tried to get the mass down as much as I could by making a jet/ion hybrid, and it worked pretty well but the part count went nuts. It's another tailsitter, with a single ion engine and tank mounted to the nose. The rest looks about the same, but I replaced the big jet fuel tank with a stack of Oscar Bs with no oxidizer, added another intake, and covered the whole thing in massless solar panels and batteries. Made orbit on the first attempt, and didn't need all that battery capacity after all as I was able to raise periapsis out of the atmosphere before falling into Kerbin's shadow.

The result:

1,992kg :cool:

162 parts :0.0:

.craft file

I think I could probably get it down a little further, I had a fair bit of jet fuel left when I got to orbit and I also carried a reversed second probe core that I could eliminate. I'm not sure if we're considering spamming massless parts a physics exploit or not, especially since the panels and batteries are so useful for ions. If it seems outside the spirit of the challenge feel free to disqualify.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As Red Iron Crown said, Impressive :D

That puts tavert in the lead for the weight, would be interested to see how may parts it is :)

Red Iron Crown - I have put your higher score in the weight leaderboard, could have previous best if you want it displayed on the board :)

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

I suppose my little ion guy qualifies.. if i put landing gear on it. So I tried it, and dag gummit, landing gears have no effect on the craft. Is that new?

[snip]

Yeah, that's new I think.... Red Iron Crown has started a thread about it on the general KSP discussion about these no-mass parts!

Still, for the purposes of my challenge it's acceptable - and puts you in 1st for lowest mass :D

Part count would get you on that leaderboard too, but can understand if it's too much hassle...

Aircraft landing gear is massless for a long time now.

I do remember someone saying about that before .23.5 came out, now you mention it... this time round it's the OX-stat panels, some batteries and other very-low-mass parts (to my current knowledge, which isn't overly extensive, which is why I'm just allowing these parts for the purpose of this challenge)

:)

Landing gear has been massless forever. If it wasn't massless, every spaceplane would require some kind of counterweight on the top to keep the center of mass in line with the engines for after leaving the atmosphere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.