What are you doing currently with asteroids?

troyn123

Title says it all... What are you currently doing with asteroids? First I built a space station:

2cyYK0t.png

Then I was screwing around and put a 1200 tonner into the lowest stable equatorial Mün orbit I dared, my Münraker, complete with ground spotlights to shine on it as it goes by!

x6cw9SC.gif

This might sound crazy, but my current objective is to put a class E around Jool...

Then I will construct a station on it. It will be glorious.

I think I just got a couple of gray hairs, just thinking about the immense burn-times. :0.0:

I think I just got a couple of gray hairs, just thinking about the immense burn-times. :0.0:

Yeah I have been experimenting with how far you can push these things. As long as it doesn't miraculously despawn on me, it's possible, but it's going to take multiple missions.

Wow Troyn. Loving that station. JW what are those thing you have connecting everything together?

The Kerbal Attachment System add-on (KAS: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-2-kas-kerbal-attachment-system-v0-1/) includes fuel pipe ends that you can attach while on EVA to connect components that are reasonably close together. Not necessary to transfer fuel around the asteroid, but made it slightly more realistic for me. :-) (and it was fun!)

How did you even do that?

Patience, mostly. :-P

I used the new grabber thing to basically put a really well-aligned large docking port on the asteroid, and then just kept swapping out fresh, large fuel tanks with LVN engines until it was where I wanted it. Initial capture around Kerbin was done with a pretty lucky atmosphere brake that left the apoapsis roughly at the level of the Mün, a lot more burnin' to get it to the right inclination... That was actually the slowest, hardest part.

Then, relatively small amounts of delta-v to get it captured around the Mün. From there I inched the orbit down just a couple hundred meters at a time from around 8k, fast forward through an orbit to see if it hit anything, repeat. Even with fairly low torque, I was still able to get the asteroid turned around during a single Mün orbit for another burn in order keep the periapis and the apoapsis pretty even.

I had to reload once or twice when I "found" that tall peak where I later ended up parked the viewing lights. ;-)

h0c7XPn.png

Patience, mostly. :-P

I used the new grabber thing to basically put a really well-aligned large docking port on the asteroid, and then just kept swapping out fresh, large fuel tanks with LVN engines until it was where I wanted it. Initial capture around Kerbin was done with a pretty lucky atmosphere brake that left the apoapsis roughly at the level of the Mün, a lot more burnin' to get it to the right inclination... That was actually the slowest, hardest part.

You sir, have MUCH more patience than I do. Well done! :)

Here is my station orbiting Kerbin at about 300km. It's made up of two roids because the first one I captured was too small so I went out and got another one.

I modified the cfg file for the Port-a-Hatch to allow it to work with KAS and increased the Kerbal count to 15. That way I was able to attach it directly to the asteroid during EVA. I also modded the docking ports so that I could attach them directly to the roid. This allows me to make believe that the Kerbals hollowed out the roid to use as a station. The 3 wheels make for comfortable living with gravity for 12 Kerbals. The lifeboat only holds 16 Kerbals so I limit the number to 12 at any one time. The orange tanks hold fuel so that visiting ships can refuel if they need to. All modules are docked so the Kerbals don't have to EVA to go from a module to the interior.

S1.png

S2.png

S3.png

The three I have are just sitting for now, though I did visit my first class B with an MOL style mission for samples. I plan on turning at least one into a space station, probably two and maybe even all three if I can get that class E moving. For now I'm just unlocking stuff from Minmus landings to progress in the tech tree and get bigger parts, but if I can get a nice little class A to fly by I plan on sending it to Duna for a very special mission. :D

Edited by TerLoki

Then I was screwing around and put a 1200 tonner into the lowest stable equatorial Mün orbit I dared, my Münraker, complete with ground spotlights to shine on it as it goes by!

http://i.imgur.com/x6cw9SC.gif

That's one of the most awesome things ever, I hope for you it doesn't bug into the terrain for another crater :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.