Square peg in round hole...

Dimetime35c

While I know I could make rovers and oats to haul them I didn't want that, so I decided to build and amphibious rover. I have been working on one since about January and FINALLY, thanks to Scott Manley doing the Seaplane video, I have one that is actually working, well nearly working as I wanted. Yes it is not that great on land, but it will go into the water without the need of a special craft being brought out to it. Now I am thinking of modifying it so it can carry science as well, this way it can hit all areas of Kerbin. But that is still a work in progress.

A couple weeks ago, while KAS was still broken I tried to send a manned mission to Eeloo. I had a large droptank of fuel docked onto the back, enough to complete my exit burn, but unfortunately I was not able to connect the KAS struts so the thing wobbled around enough to cause me to miss my encounter. Unfortunately it was a very precise build I had planned, so I had virtually no delta-v to spare and ended up on a rather long trip out to a flyby with eeloo before setting up an encounter to return to Kerbin. I managed a return to Kerbin with less than 100 m/s to spare, which is scary when using FAR and DR on a return trip at that velocity but my design held true-despite some unsettling explosions from equipment being burned off that I couldn't remove...again due to KAS being broken.

Driving over mountains in my rover. If anyone sees this, can you please flip my rover back over? I'm tired of being upside down...

Oscar tank on one side with a little rockomax pointing upwards. I flip all my rovers, no matter how wide I make them.

Tried to land on Jool's "surface". Almost succeeded with a unconventional design... (vessel stationary at 0 altitude) but the state didn't change to "landed" (as expected, though).

Will probably keep devising tricks (but nothing like Jool modding or savegame editing), though I am already content with that kind of partial success.

Tired to get into orbit using space cannons... had this really great idea modeled after the V3 Super Gun, but didn't work out... Resorting to Part Clipping for this one :P

Might be able to at least get into orbit from Minmus's surface... or maybe i should try Gilly first...

Making a base outside Kerbin. No matter how I try, I can't seem to land 2 modules close to each other.

I have a trick for that which may help you. Set up a maneuver node over your target site and drop the horizontal velocity practically straight vertical over it; adjust it as you approach your burn time to make sure you land properly. Once you reach halfway from the burn time vs. time to node (for example, T-15 from a 30 second burn), fire up the engines. You'll be right over your target at the end of the burn, or very close to it.

All started with shenanigans: I wanted to see if the new stock Escape Launch System could be used as boosters to launch a simple ship

Now I´m really involved into making this "thing" go higher and higher, I´ve even started a challenge on the forums if you want to take a stab at it, current max altitude is 5.245m.

Forums Challenge: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76704-Altitude-challenge-Escape-Launch-System-only

My dream: Reach orbit with a ship boosted only with stock ELS.

screenshot4.png

I have a trick for that which may help you. Set up a maneuver node over your target site and drop the horizontal velocity practically straight vertical over it; adjust it as you approach your burn time to make sure you land properly. Once you reach halfway from the burn time vs. time to node (for example, T-15 from a 30 second burn), fire up the engines. You'll be right over your target at the end of the burn, or very close to it.

Nice trick, thanks! I'll try it as soon as I can :D

I find if I sit down with the mind set that "this won't work" then somehow I manage to make it work. The SSthiswontlandwell for example landed perfectly.

It's things that I know are possible (cos I seen others do it) that sometimes fox me. The thing I've tried again and again, and so far miserably failed at, is to make an SSTO that can reach other planets and return without refuelling. I can make an SSTO that can reach Mun or Minmus but so far the ones bound for distant planets have needed to be refuelled in LKO first. I know it possible, I've seen someone carry cargo to Duna in an SSTO but I just can't make it work.

Ah, "square-peg-in-round-hole"... To Kraken with it, I say. Make an adapter!

>Snip<

We need space tape that Kerbals can carry on them to make "repairs". It would be funny to reattach an engine by using a grey colored tape to patch it on to the rocket.

We need space tape that Kerbals can carry on them to make "repairs". It would be funny to reattach an engine by using a grey colored tape to patch it on to the rocket.

I thought that's what a 'strut' is. :)

Ah, crazy days when i was hell-bent on launching my whole space station in one go :) My normal launcher crumpled under the weight like a piece of wet paper. Extensive strutting ensued, which turned my ship into something distincly Whackjob-like. It flew...until staging - first Space hit turned my enormous vessel into amazing fireball. Next iteration made it up to gravity turn - whch turned into uncontrolled tumble followed by a fireball. MOAR ASAS! That ship was ripped apart by control units trying to wrestle it into submission. More struts and winglets - apparently i hit part count limit then, because already laggy flight turned into slideshow. I gave up at that point, and learned how to dock in orbit :P

Well, I've been trying for months now to create a self-sustaining Munar spaceport with skykooler's extraplanetary launch pad mod, KAS and Kethane. It's always one of three problems:

1. A module lands several kilometers away from the designated construction site. (I was able to solve this problem once with a 30-ton Mun crane)

2. My refinery-to-launchpad supply rovers crash, and I have to send new ones.

3.One of the facilities clips into something and gets flung on an extrasolar trajectory.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.