[0.25/0.90] Better Atmospheres [V5 - June 14th, 2014]

Thesonicgalaxy

I think you're going to have to go to ask rbray(EVE creator) about that one. I know EVE isn't mac friendly, but how did it actually change cloud layers?

Anyway, was testing everything as release is nearing, so I grabbed some screenshot and they are available to slap on your desktops.

http://imgur.com/a/ranE0

I've also posted an update on the Dev thread HERE.

Those are some beautiful shots. Thank you

It looks epic. Great job. Your mod defies description.

Only issue; my computer alterady has a bit of a struggle running KSP. The game tends to go slow at times - especially when I'm flying a behemoth due to my destination being Laythe or my payload being massive. Will this mod contribute to make this slowness even worse, or it won't matter?

It looks epic. Great job. Your mod defies description.

Only issue; my computer alterady has a bit of a struggle running KSP. The game tends to go slow at times - especially when I'm flying a behemoth due to my destination being Laythe or my payload being massive. Will this mod contribute to make this slowness even worse, or it won't matter?

Probably, I suggest opening up some of the pictures and downsize them. V5 will come with a Low res version.

You can just hit ALT+N in game and remove what you don't want. This is the easiest way of doing it, especially on the new EVE version where every layer can be named so you know exactly what you want to delete.

Would it be possible to do this in order to merge multiple packs for EVE? I was hoping to merge your pack and another pack, but I have no idea how the mods store their information in the folder.

Can you go through the rings of jool? And what about a chance of hitting an asteroid?

The chances depend on how many asteroids you've tracked. Yes you can go through them.

Would it be possible to do this in order to merge multiple packs for EVE? I was hoping to merge your pack and another pack, but I have no idea how the mods store their information in the folder.

Yes, you can switch between .cfg in the GUI and then you are able to remove the clouds you don't want from another GUI.

Now that the forum is back up, some updates can be posted.

First of all, the PF config work as been started, but don't expect them to be available on release day.

Second, Work on the Joolvian system is underway.

Erona has made a wonderful new jool texture, and I've done some work on Laythe.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've also done some bug fixing on the other moons of Jool.

I also would like feedback on Duna, do you guys prefer this or the current one?

Y0Aytvp.png?1

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Probably should have mentioned this in the post above, but this right here will be the last planned update by me before release.

I'll be gone for a week on Vacation to Orlando, Florida from the 3rd to the 10th of June.

Luckily I have a phone, so I will check the page every now and then for any questions or suggestions, but I won't be able to work on this pack until I get back.

The release has been pushed back because of this, and I'm very sorry about that. When I come back, Hopefully EVE will have updated and I can release this thing.

Sorry again for the wait, the new release date is - Soonâ„¢

Probably should have mentioned this in the post above, but this right here will be the last planned update by me before release.

I'll be gone for a week on Vacation to Orlando, Florida from the 3rd to the 10th of June.

Luckily I have a phone, so I will check the page every now and then for any questions or suggestions, but I won't be able to work on this pack until I get back.

The release has been pushed back because of this, and I'm very sorry about that. When I come back, Hopefully EVE will have updated and I can release this thing.

Sorry again for the wait, the new release date is - Soonâ„¢

No problem, enjoy your stay in Orlando :)

Hey TheSonicGalaxy, I really like the way how you're changing Kerbol to look more realistic but one thing that I would like to mention is how I think the sun should be a smaller point but have larges flares. gravity1.jpg

However now I take a closer look at the picture it does look very similar to what you've made, maybe just increasing the flare-size should do the trick.

Edited by Tom K.

Hey TheSonicGalaxy, I really like the way how you're changing Kerbol to look more realistic but one thing that I would like to mention is how I think the sun should be a smaller point but have larges flares. http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/images_blogs/wiredscience/2014/03/gravity1.jpg

However now I take a closer look at the picture it does look very similar to what you've made, maybe just increasing the flare-size should do the trick.

You don't want the flares to be too intense. Most pictures I see of the sun don't look that extreme. Click on the spoiler below to see some pictures of the sun. By the way, I think the current Kerbol is perfect for practical purposes. The only way to make it even nicer IMO is to blur the flares a bit more.

350.jpgreally-random-things-summer-2010-337.jpgearth-space-sun.jpg
Edited by Andrew Hansen

You don't want the flares to be too intense. Most pictures I see of the sun don't look that extreme. Click on the spoiler below to see some pictures of the sun. By the way, I think the current Kerbol is perfect for practical purposes. The only way to make it even nicer IMO is to blur the flares a bit more.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Bzwh4ecQCBQ/TUGqZf2g2GI/AAAAAAAABdQ/jj4kY8LG6qY/s1600/350.jpghttp://likethegold.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/really-random-things-summer-2010-337.jpghttp://www.mrwallpaper.com/wallpapers/earth-space-sun.jpg

Having played with the flare in KSP for some time now, I am sorry to say there really isn't anything to be done about the relative size or how it interacts with the size of the sun for instance. It's an extremely basic flare and our way of changing it only replaces the existing asset with a new texture and not the mechanics of how KSP renders it. I'd love the ability to change every little aspect of it but alas we're just playing in the bounds of the existing program.

One thing to remember about lens flares are that they're totally dependent on the lens of the camera taking the picture so it all comes down to what your personal preference is for aesthetics.

Bring sunscreen, trust me. Also, not sure if you're planning on going to Epcot, but if you do, book dinner reservations for the United Kingdom Pavilion. Not for the food, mind you - but for the fireworks. It's the best seat in the whole themepark if you can get reservations for their outdoor patio. Have a fun and safe trip! :)

Bring sunscreen, trust me. Also, not sure if you're planning on going to Epcot, but if you do, book dinner reservations for the United Kingdom Pavilion. Not for the food, mind you - but for the fireworks. It's the best seat in the whole themepark if you can get reservations for their outdoor patio. Have a fun and safe trip! :)

Yes, I've been to Orlando before. Sunscreen is quite a must. We had plans to book for the UKP, but we we're too late. We have another place booked that will hopefully be just as good. Thanks!

Anyway, I've uploaded it to curse, now that spaceport is down( :C My heart will go on) http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220913-better-atmospheres-v4

ireally want the next version, looks really cool event hough i have a problem with performance, high res clouds are so awesome my computer cant deal with it, low res clouds are so ****ty i cant tolerate it .D

the main problem i have with this v4 , i reilized it when i landed on laythe, laythe has some black clouds in lower areas, i removed all cloud layers yet black clouds remain, looks really bad on surface, however when i make 0 changes when i just save and load with it, using the cloud command bar, alt N, the black clouds go away and i can watch jool with awe . why am i here if it really sounds like EVE problem? well its not eve problem , the better atmosphere pack is what got me this problem. laythe looks very dark anyway so even in day time, i belive its reasonable as it adds some mysterious alien planet imagry but hardly be called esthetic. ill just leave pale white clouds up, does anyone else have this black smoke problem? really anoying

also in my opinion the new rings you showed are way too large, makes the planet look like a fat belly. i would appericate a dim and slim ring though , just like the real jupiter has.

as for duna, i think the current one is good but clear white clouds on a red planet with only white thing is solid ice is weird, i think duna would look best if clouds has the same map as currently, has a reddish tone not too red that we cant clearly see it and confuse its edges with the ground, but too white to look weird, i will leave the crrect colour tone ( as its the only thing neeeds changing in my opinion )to your profession, keep up the good work,

Edited by TheReaper

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.