[0.25/0.90] Better Atmospheres [V5 - June 14th, 2014]

Thesonicgalaxy

So even if you have one cloud layer remaining(doesn't matter which one), you still get it? Or is it only when you have a certain layer left?

I will need to check that out. I started by removing all volumetric layers to no effect, and then the rest of the layers. Only thed did KSP run at proper speed. Adding the default clouds (EVE default I guess?) back in afterwards using the in game editor does not affect my game speed.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

I will need to check that out. I started by removing all volumetric layers to no effect, and then the rest of the layers. Only thed did KSP run at proper speed. Adding the default clouds (EVE default I guess?) back in afterwards using the in game editor does not affect my game speed.

Try removing all of the aurora layers, except leave one.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

This mod is amazing! Had loads of lag with the high res version, so I swapped to med res, and it works amazingly. Thank you! :)

Out of curiosity, do you know/think this will continue to work when 0.24 comes out, or will changes need to be made with it?

Try removing all of the aurora layers, except leave one.

Tried that, and there is no improvement. It currently seems to be all or nothing for me.

Not that the slowdown is -terrible- for me. It is roughly half speed, making launches seem to take a long time and aircraft seem to handle sluggishly.

-Note that the game runs at normal speed if I switch to map view.

Tried that, and there is no improvement. It currently seems to be all or nothing for me.

Not that the slowdown is -terrible- for me. It is roughly half speed, making launches seem to take a long time and aircraft seem to handle sluggishly.

-Note that the game runs at normal speed if I switch to map view.

How...strange. The only things that don't change through the resolutions are the detail and particle sizes. Try fiddling with those.

This mod is amazing! Had loads of lag with the high res version, so I swapped to med res, and it works amazingly. Thank you! :)

Out of curiosity, do you know/think this will continue to work when 0.24 comes out, or will changes need to be made with it?

I doubt much will have changed, however there was some changes to the shaders mentioned. Not sure if that's simple efficiency changes or a rewrite.

I love this mod! Makes KSP look amazing. Grtz.

My only gripe is the installation guide. It has a troll vibe to it. I'm going to clock that one up to inexperience(TBH it's hard to say given the same questions/issues keep choking up this thread). The first time I installed this mod it annihilated my install performance, we're talking 2-3 FPS. So, after spending a day on a custom install, it's now running smooth as silk in high res and my machine ain't exactly a gaming rig.

Hopefully you'll do yourself a favour and write up a proper install and trouble-shooting guide so more people can enjoy the benefits of your work. Here's a start. :)

Troubleshooting:

I have double clouds and half the fun. Seriously it looks like my eyes are out of focus.

That means you've installed EVE and Planet Factory along with the rest of the required mods before installing BA. You now have multiple config files drawing multiple cloud layers in-game. The fix is to remove the following files:

/GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/cloudLayers.cfg

/GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/cloudLayers.PlanetFactory.cfg

My install is not working, my clouds look like the default EVE clouds.

You've unzipped the package directly into your Gamedata folder which has created copies of some files rather than replaced them. You can go through and manually delete the orginals and rename the copies. Or, you can reinstalled the required mods and unzip the package elsewhere before doig a folder/file merge of the GameData/ folder.

Yikes, my skybox is gone!

Without mentioning it, there is a skybox in the package. Sorry you are going to have to rebuild your skybox from it's original source. For the default skybox delete the files with the prefix GalaxyTex_ of this folder:

/GameData/TexturerReplacer/Default/

My framerate still sucks.

Yeah, the biggest problem with the performance of this mod is the use of .png files with alpha layers(transparency). You will need to convert all non-transparent files into .jpg format. In particular you will want to reformat the following file:

/GameData/TexturerReplacer/Default/KerbinScaledSpace300.png

I love this mod! Makes KSP look amazing. Grtz.

My only gripe is the installation guide. It has a troll vibe to it. I'm going to clock that one up to inexperience(TBH it's hard to say given the same questions/issues keep choking up this thread). The first time I installed this mod it annihilated my install performance, we're talking 2-3 FPS. So, after spending a day on a custom install, it's now running smooth as silk in high res and my machine ain't exactly a gaming rig.

Hopefully you'll do yourself a favour and write up a proper install and trouble-shooting guide so more people can enjoy the benefits of your work. Here's a start. :)

Troubleshooting:

I have double clouds and half the fun. Seriously it looks like my eyes are out of focus.

That means you've installed EVE and Planet Factory along with the rest of the required mods before installing BA. You now have multiple config files drawing multiple cloud layers in-game. The fix is to remove the following files:

/GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/cloudLayers.cfg

/GameData/BoulderCo/Clouds/cloudLayers.PlanetFactory.cfg

My install is not working, my clouds look like the default EVE clouds.

You've unzipped the package directly into your Gamedata folder which has created copies of some files rather than replaced them. You can go through and manually delete the orginals and rename the copies. Or, you can reinstalled the required mods and unzip the package elsewhere before doig a folder/file merge of the GameData/ folder.

Yikes, my skybox is gone!

Without mentioning it, there is a skybox in the package. Sorry you are going to have to rebuild your skybox from it's original source. For the default skybox delete the files with the prefix GalaxyTex_ of this folder:

/GameData/TexturerReplacer/Default/

My framerate still sucks.

Yeah, the biggest problem with the performance of this mod is the use of .png files with alpha layers(transparency). You will need to convert all non-transparent files into .jpg format. In particular you will want to reformat the following file:

/GameData/TexturerReplacer/Default/KerbinScaledSpace300.png

Yeah, the IG is a bit crap, and I will get around to fixing it up. On my side though, I had wrote it at 5 AM wanting to get this thing released, plus it was after countless amounts of sleepless nights. This being my first mod I never even planned to make public, I have absolutely no experience in the field, other than looking at the work of others. I'll get around to fixing it up soon, I'll also re package the install to be a little easier.

Yeah, the IG is a bit crap, and I will get around to fixing it up. On my side though, I had wrote it at 5 AM wanting to get this thing released, plus it was after countless amounts of sleepless nights. This being my first mod I never even planned to make public, I have absolutely no experience in the field, other than looking at the work of others. I'll get around to fixing it up soon, I'll also re package the install to be a little easier.

I'm hearing you on the sleepless nights. Everyone here appreciates the work you've put in. It's hard to understate how much effort is involved in a software project.

I know this is not the dev thread but, I would like to say that there's a lot of low hanging fruit in the optimisation department. The main one is the png files. I've actually gone back to the med-res pack for the clouds and city lights, the clouds look fluffier and the city lights don't show too much differentiation. The best thing to do is get those Texture Replacer files into jpg. I took the Kerbin300 raw file down from 25MB to 3.5MB in jpg and I can't really see much of a difference, excpet now my game doesn't stutter in LKO. The same can be said for the EVE textures. If you can find a way to make the files smaller and not look terrible it will have a significant impact of end-user performance.

Anyway keep up the good work. I've had a smile on my dial all day marveling at Kerbin's vista.

I noticed a minor problem with the flare, when there is an eclipse, the flare is yellow (also the center of the flare is yellow) and the same flare to seems to be there always but is barely noticeable (when you view the edges of the flare (circle and not the hexagons+other shiny things).

http://imgur.com/a/ugbjW

You need to upgrade to the latest version of EVE. EVE 7-2/3 fixes the config bug which wouldn't save advanced settings.

Not sure why this is happening but after updating EVE and BA to latest version, every planet that has clouds is under constant solid cloud cover. I've tried re-installing both mods and messing with some config files but the volumetric clouds are still completely solid and unvarying. Does anyone know why this might be? I don't recall this being the case before.

Not sure why this is happening but after updating EVE and BA to latest version, every planet that has clouds is under constant solid cloud cover. I've tried re-installing both mods and messing with some config files but the volumetric clouds are still completely solid and unvarying. Does anyone know why this might be? I don't recall this being the case before.

Could you post a picture? I'm thinking of several things and a picture would be useful.

Does this happen with only my pack or does it happen on regular EVE too?

It's happening with plain EVE too. I guess I should have checked that and asked over there first, whoops

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.