Stratolauncher

Gambi

I just found this on the interwebs :

StatrolaunchHangar_main_013.jpg

Video in link

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/stories/stratolauncher-construction-begins-on-hangar-for-giant-rocket-launching-

And I just thought : 'This can be made with KSP !' 8)

I have started a couple of experiments with C7 Pack, so far lots of explosions and mid-air desintegrations.

The goal of this project is to achieve a rocket launch in the upper atmosphere ( 10 000 m )

I think they\'ve now changed the name to Falcon 4 as the new generation of Merlin will still allow them to meet performance goals. :)

http://www.stratolaunch.com/

Scaled Composites is building the launch aircraft out of a pair of 747s and SpaceX is building the Falcon launch vehicle. The system will eventually be able to launch the Dragon capsule, giving an additional launch option in addition to the Falcon 9 vehicle.

While they are way too early in development for the actual flight profile to anything more than a general sketch, the profile will most likely be similar to that used by other air launch systems where the rocket is released in relatively level flight and then the rockets ignite after separation and a drop of a thousand feet or so for clearance.

Here\'s some air launch examples -

Orbital Science Typical Pegasus Launch.flv

So... are you making your own parts once the conceptual vehicle works or is this in the wrong section?

I haven\'t tried parts design yet, so I guess you\'re right : wrong section :-[

First protoype is on the way though, some handling issues on the launcher due to its massive scale...

Dale Brown wrote about a system that was designed to launch from a C-13. Carried two rockets with several micro satallites each that could achieve LEO but had almost no orbital maneuverability, once inserted they circled taking pictures before burning up in reentry. I\'d love to make something like that for this.

• 4 weeks later...

I built something like this a long time ago. Three columns strapped together in a line. Middle was the rocket, outsides were fuel pods for the C7 jets. Two huge wings on the outside. It used the C7 jets\' efficiency and power to boost itself up into the upper atmosphere, then popped the two outer columns and wings away, leaving just the rocket. It was a mother to wrangle up to altitude, but man, that was the most efficient rocket I\'ve ever built. Never did build one that launched the rocket while leaving the airplane bits intact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.