Apollo Mission: Why 3 Astronauts? Why not two?

Xavven

I never claimed that they would have died without it. I said lucky they had because they managed to get a quick solution easily.

Right. I seem to remember you claiming that the pen kind of saved the day, but whatever.

(Do YOU even know what the DSKY is? It's the interface between the crew and the computer. It could have been used to start up the engine, but I wouldn't know. I don't have all the programs in it memorized.)

The DSKY was just a keypad and display panel. It was the user interface, not the computer. The DSKY couldn't start anything. And the computer could not start the engine if the engine arm circuit was open. Which is why it had to be closed in the first place. The whole point of a engine arm circuit breaker is to prevent the engine from firing.

Using the computer to fire the engine was the primary procedure. There was an auxiliary procedure to start the engine manually which involved pressing a manual START button. Both of these probably needed the engine arm circuit to be closed. And there were probably a dozen other procedures and workarounds to fire the engine because they were so paranoid about it and had devised multiple contingency modes for just about any component failure, including circuit breakers.

Anyway, I started to think about some of the flight sims I play (DCS A-10C Warthog specifically) and how task saturation can quickly overwhelm you in a single-seat aircraft, but computers have come a long way in helping with that. In fact, I read that flight engineer positions started declining as computers became more powerful and lighter. When malfunctions occur, the computer can even compensate on its own to varying extents. What do you all think of the prospect of single-person landers today, aided by advances in computing? Does anyone know what mission profile China is working on?

The Shenzhou is rated for 3 men, in a living space that is similar to Apollo (maybe even larger, I haven't checked). I supposed they would go with a similar 3-man mission profile, because it simply makes sense.

You can have all the computers you want, it's always better to have at least 2 crew members for double checks and contingency modes, plus it's hard to don a space suit on your own. I really doubt anyone would do a 1-man lander, it just doesn't make sense.

Actually, it was because it needed three representatives of the three branches of US military. In case you dont know, Army, Airforce and Navy.

:D

I doubt that was a reason, given that the first US Army astronaut joined NASA in 1978.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.