ISEE-3 Reboot Project by Space College, Skycorp, and SpaceRef needs Funding

Wyseman76

While I would love to explain the details i'll keep it simple and let them explain it better. The rundown is that there is a probe the ISEE or (International Sun-Earth Explorer) and it was re purposed at one point to do some SCIENCE :D on a comet and was relabeled the International Comet Explorer (ICE) and then left to drift but the cool thing is it was left on and collected a lot of data while drifting. Some really cool people want to redirect it as a window is aproaching rapidly that would allow it to be placed in a orbit around earth so we can begin extracting the glorious bits of SCIENCE!.

Here is a bit on on the mission. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/25/privateers_race_to_capture_forgotten_nasa_space_probe_using_crowdsourced_cash/

Here is there crowd funding site. http://www.rockethub.com/42228#description-tab

Have a look, donate or not but pass this along would be great to see if these guys can pull it off.

Wait, so this isn't by NASA or any other space program? How do they expect to get the billion or more dollars to buy a rocket, make a payload, and then launch it, put it into orbit, and retrieve it? It seems a little far fetched if you ask me.

You really should read before you comment. It would lead to more purposeful conversation. They want to capture an already existing probe so that they can collect the years of data it has.

Wait, so this isn't by NASA or any other space program? How do they expect to get the billion or more dollars to buy a rocket, make a payload, and then launch it, put it into orbit, and retrieve it? It seems a little far fetched if you ask me.

If it's the one I remember hearing about, they dont. It's an old probe NASA abandoned years ago, but was found again, still alive and still had a bit of delta V left. We're coming up on a close earth flyby, to put it on a new orbit, but NASA has no plans for it. But the internet does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.