The Venturer Program: Tour of the planets

RogueMason

CHAPTER 62: …TWO STEPS FORWARD

jkUOsid.png

Captain’s log, entry 88: Well, things are looking up, I guess. After getting the long range comms back up and running a few weeks back, we managed to get in touch with control, as I’ve mentioned in… well, one of these damned logs, somewhere. Anyway, long story short, the technical expertise they provided was outstandingly useful and we got these conversions done a couple of weeks faster than Lengas had originally anticipated. Now we just need to test the bloody things and hope they don’t kill us when we turn them on.

5OuIpGX.png

Bill said he’s been working on the Eeloo transfer trajectory. No less than a 5 year journey (but no more than 7 years, mind you…)… All I could say to that was thank frakking Kod I came up with this idea when I did.

e0Iu80q.png

Other than that, well… nothing much happened. I guess it’s probably important to mention that we’ve all spoken to our families now that our comms work again. Kod, that was… I can’t express what I felt when I saw my wife’s face on that screen. Her eyes, her voice… damn it, I’m getting teary-eyed just thinking about it. I know I chose to come out on this mission, but in hindsight, was it really such a good idea? Damn it…

A few hours later…

2qRU1V0.png

05zwaDA.png

Bill: “Cease burn.â€Â

Jeb: “Cutting engines. How’re we looking?â€Â

Bill: “One trajectory change once we’re out of Duna’s SOI should be enough to get us where we want.â€Â

Jeb: “Good. How long until that burn?â€Â

Bill: “Ooh, uh… a few days?â€Â

Jeb: “Alright. I’m gonna tell control that we’re heading out again.â€Â

Bill: “Ok. Say, have we tested those things in the back, yet?â€Â

Jeb: “Later today. Lengas is just making sure everything is comfortable and that we won’t all wind up with freezerburn.â€Â

Bill: “Ouch, freezerburn, not nice. I knew a guy once who had that happen to his hand in a cryogenics lab. Wasn’t good.â€Â

Jeb: “Well let’s just hope that doesn’t happen here.â€Â

Jeb hits a few buttons at a console behind his pilot seat.

KSC: “Enterprise?â€Â

Jeb: “Yep, who else?â€Â

KSC: “Hey Jeb, what’s up? Nothing bad with those cryopods, I hope?â€Â

Jeb: “No, no, we’re testing them later. Listen, we’ve just made the burn. One more and we’ll be heading for Eeloo.â€Â

KSC: “Roger that, Jeb. Damn, just Eeloo left, now. Seems like only yesterday that you left.â€Â

Jeb: “Believe me, it doesn’t feel like that for us at all.â€Â

KSC: “I suppose not. Still, just one more planet and you’re home-free. We all wish you luck down here. Safe journey. Control out.â€Â

Jeb: “Hmm, nice and abrupt.â€Â

Bill: “Well, I suppose they’ve got a fair amount going on back at Kerbin aside from just our mission, as huge as our mission actually has been.â€Â

Jeb: “True…â€Â

Bill: “You alright?â€Â

Jeb: “Yeah, it’s just… if these pods work, we’ll have essentially just two more weeks of conscious flight time and then it’ll be all over.â€Â

Bill: “That it will.â€Â

Jeb: “We’re so tantalisingly close to the end… but then there’s the point that while everyone at home ages, we won’t. We’ll still be our current age in 6 years’ time.â€Â

Bill: “Yeah, there’s that, I guess, but in all honesty, it’s probably a small price to pay.â€Â

Jeb: “I wouldn’t precisely call it small, Bill.â€Â

Bill: “So sue me.â€Â

Jeb: “Heh.â€Â

Bill: “Seriously though, if that’s a concern, I’m sure there’s a way we can make a compromise on this whole cryostasis business.â€Â

Jeb: “Hmm… we could have a day or two here and there being out of cryo so we could catch up with home. There’s no sense in fixing the long range comms and not using it. It doesn’t really circumvent the non-aging process, though.â€Â

Bill: “Perhaps not, but it seems like a decent deal. At least that way your folks will be able to talk to you more often.â€Â

Jeb: “Yeah… alright, I’m gonna have to mull this over on my own for a bit. You know where to find me.â€Â

Bill: “Sure thing.â€Â

9dnYxeJ.png

A few days later…

27dpZu4.png

NiaBjqS.png

-----

ucQZNNO.png

ANSI/Stanley: “My micromanagement processes are currently operating with a 92% efficiency, but I will do my best to maintain every single cryopod while you all sleep. Given my recent condition, however, I’d feel a lot more comfortable if it were only my micromanagement systems enabled lest I accidentally damage some hardware. Or software.â€Â

Jeb: “Wait, you can go into a low functionality state?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Yes. However, I’d need restarting if full functionality were to be restored.â€Â

Jeb: “Hmm…â€Â

Bob: “Jeb, are you coming or…?â€Â

Jeb: “Just give me a few minutes, Bob.â€Â

Bob: “Alright. Listen, I’m going under, now. I’ll see you if I wake up.â€Â

Jeb: “What’s this ‘if’? You should say ‘when’, instead.â€Â

Bob: “I should. I would. But unproven technology made out of converted refrigerators? I don’t know.â€Â

Jeb: “Well, you worked on them with Lengas, so surely you know what you’re dealing with?â€Â

Bob: “Yeah, I know what I’m dealing with. I guess it’s just the thought of it, you know.â€Â

Jeb: “Yeah, it’s… odd. Anyway, if you want to go under, then go under. I’ll see you on the other side, maybe even in between if we get woken up at the same time along this flight.â€Â

Bob: “Yeah… well, lights out.â€Â

Bob clambers into his pod before the door seals him in.

Jeb: “Hmm, I guess it’s just you and me for a bit, Stanley.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Not quite.â€Â

Jeb: “Eh?â€Â

Lengas: “I’m still here, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “AH, geez! Don’t do that, I’m too old!â€Â

Lengas: “Sorry, I didn’t think I’d startle you.â€Â

Jeb: “I thought you’d gone into a pod, you’ve been that quiet.â€Â

Lengas: “Yeah, well, I’ve just been thinking, really.â€Â

Jeb: “About…?â€Â

Lengas: “I know I built those things, but I sure as hell am not using them.â€Â

Jeb: “What? Why?â€Â

Lengas: “Well, for a start, I’m not entirely sure using old core sample fridges as stasis chambers is exactly a good idea, and while the conversion went well enough, I’m still wary of some of the things. Secondly, well, someone needs to keep an eye on the ship while you’re asleep.â€Â

Jeb: “We have Stanley for that, though.â€Â

Lengas: “And even Stanley himself says that he doesn’t want to risk glitches, so I’m gonna keep him in a good way. Plus, that reactor if left alone…â€Â

Jeb: “But won’t it be weird, eh? We’ll all be staying our age and youâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Lengas: “Yes, I know, but honestly, I’d much rather be the same age as I’m supposed to be when I get home to my family.â€Â

Jeb: “Ah, now there’s something I thought of, too.â€Â

Lengas: “We’ve all thought it, Jeb. Every single one of us.â€Â

Jeb: “Understandably…â€Â

Lengas: “The point is, I’m not going into that dreamless sleep.â€Â

Jeb: “If that’s what you want.â€Â

Lengas: “It is.â€Â

Jeb: “Alright. Just… I might stay up for a few more hours. Stare at Duna. The stars. Maybe talk to my family before I freeze.â€Â

Lengas: “I’ll stick around with you, then.â€Â

Jeb: “Thanks.â€Â

A pause for a moment.

Jeb: “It’s oddly quiet, with that lot in there. Not even snoring or sleep-talking, just… silence.â€Â

Lengas: “It’s about the most quiet I’ve had for a long time.â€Â

Jeb: “You’re about to have a lot more where that came from, too.â€Â

Lengas: “Yeah, I guess I am.â€Â

CHAPTER 63: FINAL FRONTIER

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 101: They’re asleep. They’re all asleep. I’m alone. Not lonely, but… alone. Odd. It’s really quiet save for the purr of the ship and its systems ticking over. At my request, though, Stanley has decided to remain in full operation mode with the assurance that I’d be around to maintain anything he breaks. Huh, I keep calling Stanley a ‘he’ or a ‘him’. I guess when you spend so long with so convincing an AI, you sort of just… fall into that habit.

Anyway, ship’s fine for now. I ran a triple diagnostic on the cryopods along with the reactor and nothing’s wrong. Reactor efficiency dropped off to 94%, but I can fix that in a few hours. For now, though, I’m going to get something to eat. I’ve got the entirety of the stores to choose from.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 102: Two weeks since leaving Duna’s SOI, one since the guys went under, and nothing has gone wrong, thankfully. I had to clean out a few air filters, one involving a toothpick and some very creatively used socks, so now the air is feeling quite fresh. Not as good as in the greenhouses, but still better than a lot of places on Kerbin. I suppose that’d have to be the case, though.

As for myself, well, I feel fine. Stanley’s good company. Sure it’s odd knowing that they’re all back there in those pods, just doing nothing, but I’m fine. I’ve taken to reading up on some celestial mechanics. Got through the basics of orbital mechanics, and even though I can fly ships, there was some very handy stuff in those texts. Interesting, even. I’ve just got to reading more about the subtle gravitational interactions over huge distances. No better way to spend my time at the moment, and it certainly makes time fly quite nicely.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 103: A fortnight since the freezing. Nothing out of the ordinary. Went on EVA to maintain some solar cells, that’s about it for my work. Got through all that gravitational nuances stuff, so now I’m reading stuff on wormholes and relativity. I sort of knew about time dilation already, but this stuff is just… damn. Gotta respect the physicists with doctorates to their names.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 104: Two months since the freezing. Had a bit of a drama with a bowl of cereal escaping into the ventilation shafts, but after chasing down a rogue corn loop, I cleaned everything up. Nothing damaged. Stanley even helped confine the renegade breakfast. Unfortunately, everything smells of slightly souring milk, now. I’ll get some air freshener sorted.

Wormholes are sweet, by the way. Started working on a simulation on the computers. Messed up the code first time round and nearly fried the CPU, but this second bit of software I’m working on looks to be fine so far.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 105: I decided to contact home today. To say they were surprised that I was up and about would be an understatement. Naturally, my Jhen came and spoke to me, daft girl. Damn I love her so much. Makes me think of using one of those pods myself so I can see her sooner, so to speak.

Control apparently had a bit of an accident involving one of the refuelling stations and the Libra. Libra didn’t slow down enough and smacked into the truss. Lost two solar panels whilst knocking off a docking port from the station, not to mention weakening the truss structure. No-one was hurt, and no-one’s been blamed for it, I’ve been led to believe. That’s good.

Oh, my wormhole simulation works! I can input parameters, variables and whatnot to change the characteristics, and it’s all based on every scrap of theoretical and hypothetical work I could find, so what I’m seeing on the screen is what a wormhole should actually look like! That’s pretty frakking sweet, if you ask me!

Engineer, geologist… who knows, maybe astrophysics is in my future? I’ll be talking with Cal, I think…

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 106: I, uh, sort of haven’t written any logs for a few months. Uh… 7 and a half months since the last one. Whoops. Anyway, a scheduled intermission in the cryostasis was enacted as authorised by Jeb and everyone came out for a few days to catch up. At that point, we’d just crossed Dres’ orbital path. They all contacted home, had a laugh with each other (myself included), and then after 4 days, they went back in the pods without a hitch. I’ll be honest, it’s getting a little tempting to use one of those; they seem to work fine. Fear of the unknown, I guess, though if that were true, then what am I doing all the way out here? Why did I sign up for Odysseus way back when? Not fear of the unknown, it would seem.

Started reading about black holes. That’s some crazy stuff. White holes, should they exist, are even stranger. Might need to go back to reading children’s books for a bit just to stop my head from hurting with all this information.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 107: Today was not a good day. Stanley had a glitch that nearly wiped out the control systems for the fusion core. Naturally, when the alarms went off, I sort of panicked. Woke everyone up, got them in the landers and the bridge and told them to stay put until I could see what was wrong. Bob helped me out, thankfully, even as groggy as he was. Sure enough, some of the electromagnets were varying their power levels wildly and it was destabilising the plasma torus. I suited up while Bob tried to manually regain control, which he did long enough for me to replace some now-ruined circuit boards. Took an hour, tops, given that I was sort of rushing to save the ship from an impending thermonuclear explosion. Frakking hell, that was stressful. Everyone is back in the pods, now, next scheduled intermission in 3 months.

Until then, more black holes.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 108: So, my last log was 4 months ago. The crew had their second scheduled intermission as planned. Chat with home, chat with crew, sleep again. Don’t get me wrong, it’s just… I’m starting to feel I’m wasting my life away, just being awake and waiting to get to Eeloo. Cryostasis is starting to look very appealing, but I’ve just hit something; an unexplored area of black hole theory. What’s inside a black hole? We don’t really know, and we can’t really find out, and that’s got me intrigued. So, I’ve started doing some work on that. Yeah, an engineer slash geologist working on black hole theory. Count me in as an honorary astrophysicist.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 109: I’ve left this log far too long, half a year in fact. Too obsessed trying to figure out this black hole stuff. From what I can gather, the information to be gained from this sort of stuff could, hypothetically speaking, enable us to manipulate gravity. Gravity, that ever-so-elusive fundamental force. Now, I’m no quantum physicist (though at this rate, I will be), but that’s pretty insane. Gravitational manipulation could open up all sorts of prospects for us as a species. I can think of a couple off the top of my head, say… artificial gravity plating on ships, stations, and bases located on low-mass worlds, uh… antigravity vehicles… warp drive. Yeah, warp drive would be cool…

Just thought of something. Will post another log again at some other time.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log entry 110: Another half year has passed and the equations have piled up everywhere. Nothing else matters. Nothing. This is my work. Mine. I will see it finished. I have spoken with home, just about the only thing keeping me borderline sane. Stasis intermissions, too. The crew are wondering what I’m doing. Only Cal recognised it, and even then he was way out of his depth, he said. Anyway, must work. Work work work. That’s all for me... snack, too, actually.

-----

Chief Engineer/Geologist’s log, entry 111: Stanley said we’ve only a year until Eeloo. Kod, I’ve done so much to keep myself occupied I hadn’t noticed the passage of time. Everything else is secondary. My work is my life, here. I think I’m onto something, too. Will need to write a paper up at some point. Home is worried I’m going slightly mad. They’re probably right.

-----

One year later…

ffQnr3F.png

Bill: “Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “Aye, here we go.â€Â

Bob: “Agh, paperwork!â€Â

Jeb: “Lengas, I thought you’d tidied it all up?â€Â

Lengas: “Sorry, let me… ah, Hawken Radiation work. Sorry, I don’t know why that was there.â€Â

Bob: “It’s fine, just… caught me off guard.â€Â

Lengas: “Sorry.â€Â

Jeb: “We’re at full throttle.â€Â

Bill: “T-minus 7 minutes until burn completion.â€Â

cV7RqqC.png

Lengas: “Oh wait, I might have left something somewhere in the centrifuge, got go cheâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Jeb: “Hold your horses there, Lengas, not while we’re burning.â€Â

Lengas: “But Iâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Jeb: “Not yet.â€Â

Lengas: “Aye, Captain.â€Â

U199X2U.png

A few minutes later…

pPYHyEO.png

Bill: “We’re in orbit.â€Â

Jeb: “Let’s start finalising that, then.â€Â

Bob: “Systems are looking good.â€Â

Jeb: “Almost there… wait, throttle stick’s jammed up a little… I can’t budge it!â€Â

Bill: “Say what?â€Â

Jeb: “Damn it, budge you insolent little--!!â€Â

The throttle stick suddenly snaps back into place at 0%.

Jeb: “AGH!â€Â

Bill: “You alright?â€Â

Jeb: “Yeah, just… caught my thumb. Lengas, you need to look at this ASAP, alright?â€Â

Bob: “He just went to grab those other papers.â€Â

Jeb: “Ugh… ok, I guess this one’s up to me to fix. Bill, how are we looking?â€Â

Bill: “Uh, well…â€Â

PljxfXA.png

Bill: “…You may want to fix that throttle stick fast.â€Â

Jeb: “Huh? OH FRAK. Lengas, I’m not kidding!â€Â

Lengas: “One moment!â€Â

Jeb: “Now, Lengas!â€Â

Lengas: “OK, OK, I’m coming!â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Jeb, I can adjust our heading if you need me to.â€Â

Jeb: “Please do! Everyone stay seated for a moment, we’re not done.â€Â

Lengas: “Wait, whaAAAAOOOH!â€Â

53J3hP3.png

71o4rRv.png

ANSI/Stanley: “Course corrected.â€Â

Jeb: “Thanks, Stanley. Lengas, over here, now.â€Â

Lengas: “Son of a… Wait, I’m just sorting these papers out.â€Â

Jeb: “Damn it man, what’s going on?!â€Â

Lengas: “This, this is going on. This is my work, Jeb, I’m not just about to let it fall into disarray.â€Â

Jeb: “It’s all over the ship! I’d say that’s some pretty hefty disarray!â€Â

Lengas: “Method in the madness. What’s wrong with the throttle?â€Â

Jeb: “It jammed up. Need you to look at it.â€Â

Lengas: “Hmm, later, it’s not serious for now. Later.â€Â

Jeb: “Now, Lengas.â€Â

Lengas: “Oh, alright, but if I could ask a favour?â€Â

Jeb: “Umm, ok?â€Â

Lengas: “Sort this pile into page order, the numbers are on the bottom right. Thanks.â€Â

Lengas hands the chunky wad of papers to Jeb before heading to the pilot seat.

Jeb: “Uh, anyone want to help me with this?â€Â

e9c0DSV.png

I sooo want to make a fan-made ISV Enterprise, heh :)

If you're talking about recreating my Enterprise, then sure, go ahead, should be interesting to see what someone else makes from the concept :)

Anyway, I would like to make an announcement; I've just now finished writing the final chapter of this rather laborious story. I won't say how many more chapters are left, but I will say this; they're all big chapters, so I guess you can look forward to 'em :wink:

I must say, though, writing this story has been about as much effort as flying the actual mission.

Much effort.

So tired.

Many things.

Wow.

3f5a00acf72df93528b6bb7cd0a4fd0c.jpeg

I may post one on Christmas Day, we'll see :wink:

CHAPTER 64: SNOWBALL

Captain’s log, entry 89: Good Kod, Lengas did a lot of work while we were all out for the count. After Bob and I managed to sort out that bloody wad of paper he handed to me, we only go and find more stuffed underneath a couple of the engineering consoles, plus some sort of wormhole simulation up on one of the screens (which was pretty cool, I must say). In fact, I think I’ve got some sort of audio file to attach to this log, just to show how ridiculous this all got at one point…

[OPEN FILE: MICROAUDIO 12BXS.mmv]

[LOADING…. DONE]

[PLAY? Y/N]

[Y]

[PLAYING]

Jeb: “Ok, so that’s this pile done. Bob, any more to do?â€Â

Bob: “Nope.â€Â

Jeb: “Thank frakking Kod for that. Let’s just stick this on his console… hmm, what’s that?â€Â

Bob: “What’s what?â€Â

Jeb: “That, on the monitor.â€Â

Bob: “I don’t know, but it looks cool.â€Â

Jeb: “Hmm, wormhole simulator. Neat. I wonder what happens if I do this… ooh, it changes the gravity.â€Â

Bob: “Careful now, we don’t want to ruin… whatever that is.â€Â

Jeb: “I’m sure it’s fine.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “You know, Lengas spent a lot of time perfecting that program, but even so, I don’t think it’s free of bugs. I’d leave it if I were you, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “Oh, ok… wait, what the… Mother of Kerbin, there’s more?!â€Â

Bob: “More? Oh Kod, more papers?!â€Â

Jeb: “Lengas!â€Â

Lengas: “What do you want now? I’m fixing your throttle stick!â€Â

Jeb: “Lengas, we really need to talk about all this paper you’ve left lying around!â€Â

Lengas: “Oh come on, I was gonna tidy up!â€Â

Jeb: “Were you really?â€Â

Lengas: “Of course! What use is a load of work if it isn’t in some sort of coherent form?â€Â

Jeb: “Ugh, just… just clear it up once you’re done with the controls, alright?â€Â

Lengas: “Yeah yeah yeah.â€Â

Jeb: “Damn it… Ugh, I should probably power up the lander. Bob, come help. Bill, grab whatever stuff you’ll need.â€Â

Bill: “Aye.â€Â

[END OF AUDIO FILE]

[REPEAT? Y/N]

[N]

So yeah, as you can probably tell, it’s a bit crazy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad he didn’t go totally insane being alone, but there is paper almost everywhere. There are even some smudges on the walls where I think he drew some stuff before rubbing it off! I just… ugh, never mind. Could be worse, I guess.

Right now, Eeloo awaits. I’m sat in the lander just waiting for Bill to hurry up and grab whatever he was supposed to get a few hours ago. Bob’s dozed off. I’m close to it myself, really. If you think about it, I haven’t slept for years. Oh well.

Actually, sod it. The landing can wait. I’m sleeping for a bit.

-----

A few hours later…

Kjpo16F.png

Bob: “We’re clear of the port.â€Â

Jeb: “Got it.â€Â

LSbSFJn.png

s3UvYM5.png

Bill: “Jeb, you’re sure you’re alright to fly?â€Â

Jeb: “I’m fine. I managed to pilot Enterprise after stasis, didn’t I?â€Â

Bill: “Yes, but you weren't landing anything at that point. Plus you've just slept, you're supposed to be groggy.â€Â

Jeb: “Trust me, Bill, I’m ok.â€Â

Bill: “If you say so.â€Â

ewVWmUP.png

Bill: “Descent trajectory confirmed.â€Â

Jeb: “Enterprise, we’ll see you on the other side.â€Â

Cal: “Roger that, stay safe.â€Â

hiYUySf.png

dikgxR0.png

Bob: “Final stop, guys.â€Â

Jeb: “I know.â€Â

Bob: “Sort of emotional, don’t you think?â€Â

Jeb: “We can talk emotions once we’re on the ground. Right now, I’d rather stay focused on not crashing into this snowball.â€Â

Bob: “Hmm, good point.â€Â

HtjoFZ0.png

Jeb: “Throttling up, watch out.â€Â

Njg8cCx.png

Bill: “Nearing the surface…â€Â

Jeb: “I know, I know. 50 metres.â€Â

Bob: “Things are stable.â€Â

gQ2ZIb3.png

Bill: “20 metres.â€Â

Jeb: “Brace yourselves.â€Â

01tjN7S.png

Jeb: “Engine cut, we’re down.â€Â

Bob: “All systems are green, though we really aren’t getting much from the solar panels out here.â€Â

Jeb: “Drop the ladder, Bob.â€Â

Bob: “Aye… Kod, we’re here, at last.â€Â

Jeb: “I know, right?â€Â

Bill: “It’s… weird. So many years…â€Â

Jeb: “Yeah… alright, well, I suppose we’ve got a job to do. Bill, you’re the only one of us to have been on Eeloo before now. What’s to be expected?â€Â

Bill: “Hmm? Oh, Lonestar, right, how did I forget about that...? Err, well, the ground may have melted beneath the rocket plume, but I suspect it’s frozen over again, now. Maybe watch out for some jagged ice, instead. Other than that, nothing much. It’ll be a little bleak out there.â€Â

Jeb: “That all?â€Â

Bill: “Afraid so. Eeloo is pretty much just a giant dirty snowball.â€Â

Jeb: “I can roll with that. Let’s go.â€Â

EilH9AK.png

Jeb: “Ooh, I see what you mean about the jagged ice at the foot of the ladder. Watch it, folks.â€Â

Bob: “Copy that.â€Â

Jeb: “Damn, it is rather barren, out here.â€Â

moa81QQ.png

SlSrnfI.png

Jeb: “I guess I can try to liven this place up a little…â€Â

SMiR0mU.png

Jeb: “There, flag’s done.â€Â

Bill: “You better hadn’t have made a silly plaque, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “No, of course not. It relates directly to the science we’ll be doing.â€Â

Bill: “…You put something about snowballs, didn’t you?â€Â

Jeb: “Naturally.â€Â

Bill: “Ugh…â€Â

btae5hW.png

Bill: “You know, Jeb, there are times when I wonder why I even bother with you.â€Â

Jeb: “Hey, that’s rather vicious, I’m just lightening the mood a little.â€Â

Bill: “Yeah, I know.â€Â

PCljzVN.png

Bob: “Damn, it is desolate out here.â€Â

Jeb: “Bob, over here.â€Â

Bob: “Gotcha.â€Â

x71yyCr.png

Hs6mZE4.png

Jeb: “Well, look at us. Just the 3 of us doing what we do best.â€Â

Bob: “Yeah, it’s been a while since we’ve been alone.â€Â

Bill: “Just like the 13th age all over again.â€Â

Jeb: “Damn, that was a long time ago, now. I sort of miss it. We did so much with so little back then, it was awesome.â€Â

Bob: “And yet look at us now, standing on a planet we didn’t even know existed way back then. I’d say that’s pretty damn awesome.â€Â

Jeb: “Aye… well, enough reminiscing, we’ve got science to do.â€Â

A few minutes later...

NuSAfqp.png

Jeb: “I tell you what, guys…â€Â

YUM3tjV.png

Jeb: “…It doesn’t get much more interesting this way.â€Â

Bill: “Ah, didn’t think so. Never mind, just get some samples.â€Â

Jeb: “As planned.â€Â

aXE5kgc.png

Jeb: “It’s just a big ol’ ice mound, this thing. I at least wanted to see some rocks.â€Â

ajh8W5A.png

Jeb: “Ah well.â€Â

GquMHWB.png

Bill: “Samples, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “How could you even tell I was just standing here?â€Â

Bob: “You weren’t whistling.â€Â

Jeb: “Oh…†*whistles whilst picking up rocks.â€Â

A few days of relative calm later…

Bob: “I’ll go plant this flag then, shall I?â€Â

Jeb: “Flag? Oh yes, that flag. The final flag.â€Â

Bill: “I never thought I’d hear those words.â€Â

Jeb: “I never thought I’d say them.â€Â

BaGrW7v.png

Bob: “Alright, I’ll be back in a minute.â€Â

yPOKA0I.png

amVXDtM.png

Bob: “Hmm… here’ll do nicely.â€Â

Vy7ymX2.png

6yzpKCv.png

Bob: “Let’s just check you aren’t gonna fall over and… ok, yep, all good. Guys, I’m coming back.â€Â

Jeb: “Copy that, Bob.â€Â

BnGbcht.png

KRwGOnW.png

fXBsUz0.png

Jeb: “So, is everyone all set? Everything’s packed up?â€Â

Bill: “Everything’s done. We just need to head home, now.â€Â

Jeb: “Home… alright, let’s do this, folks.â€Â

A few minutes later…

Jeb: “Bob?â€Â

Bob: “All systems go.â€Â

Jeb: “Bill?â€Â

Bill: “Ready.â€Â

Jeb: “Well then, let’s punch it.â€Â

2QpOWRA.png

Bob: “So long, Eeloo.â€Â

M0nNSUR.png

psMTWgJ.png

Bill: “We’ve got a good apoapsis.â€Â

Jeb: “Roger that.â€Â

JW1f9TM.png

XthStKM.png

Bill: “We’re in orbit, just a little more for the transfer trajectory.â€Â

Jeb: “How much?â€Â

Bill: “I’ll say.â€Â

tKQNaFe.png

Bill: “That’s it, stop there.â€Â

Jeb: “Excellent. Not long now, folks and we’ll be heading back to that third rock from the Sun.â€Â

11/2 orbits later…

VgijtjH.png

VaGYSkH.png

Jeb: “Enterprise, it’s us. We good to dock?â€Â

Mac: “One moment… there, bring the ship in.â€Â

Jeb: “Thanks.â€Â

Bob: “Wait, how are things between you and Mac, at the moment?â€Â

Jeb: “Wouldn’t know, but it doesn’t feel tense.â€Â

Bob: “Hmm.â€Â

N7eIqd3.png

A few hours later…

Goe6hkw.png

Jeb: “So, what’s the verdict? Are we keeping ‘em or are we ditching ‘em?â€Â

Lengas: “Ditching, definitely ditching.â€Â

Bob: “I agree, they’ll just be dead weight now.â€Â

Jeb: “Bill, account for that in the trajectory you plot.â€Â

Bill: “I’ll wait until we undock them to do anything. We’ve still got a few weeks before the Kerbin window opens up.â€Â

Jeb: “Alright. Lengas, Bob, strip them of everything useful, get the fuel pumped back over to our main tanks, and then I’ll suit up and make sure they get clear.â€Â

Lengas: “Righto. It’ll take a few hours, but we’ll get it done.â€Â

Jeb: “Excellent.â€Â

A few more hours later…

TZCBIuT.png

Gc04rno.png

Jeb: “Ok, I’m outside. Which one are we starting with?â€Â

Bob: “Lander Alpha. Undocking… now.â€Â

Bdw4mX0.png

Jeb: “Whoa, it’s swaying a bit. Cal, keep it steady!â€Â

Cal: “Sorry, the reaction wheels went crazy for a second there. Alright, easy does it…â€Â

zHRsWXH.png

Jeb: “Beautiful. Let’s detach Beta.â€Â

Buzz: “Roger that, detaching Beta.â€Â

4VAhJjh.png

Jeb: “Hey, that went much smoother than Alpha. What gives?â€Â

Lengas: “I guess maybe we might have hit something in Alpha’s command module when we were stripping it down for parts.â€Â

Jeb: “Hmm, as good an explanation as any, I guess. Buzz, just take it a little further out.â€Â

Buzz: “Aye.â€Â

TgDGPUK.png

H60EREN.png

Jeb: “Right, the docking ports look sound. The landers are ok. I’m coming back in. Good job, folks.â€Â

nmuyyR5.png

dXbkS2Y.png

CHAPTER 65: THESE ARE THE VOYAGES…

Several weeks later…

NIatGkF.png

-----

Jeb: “Ready to say goodbye to Eeloo…?â€Â

Bill: “It’s now or never.â€Â

Lengas: “Fuel levels are optimal, reactor at 94.2%.â€Â

Jeb: “Lengas, no rogue papers lurking around anywhere?â€Â

Lengas: “No, I tidied ‘em all up.â€Â

Jeb: “Thank you.â€Â

GPdIggk.png

rtxEDyN.png

Bill: “Burn complete.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Estimated time to Kerbin encounter is 2.5 years. I’ll have more information when Bill plots the new course.â€Â

Jeb: “That’s a shorter journey than I was expecting.â€Â

Bob: “It’s just as well, I suppose, otherwise we could have some more essays deciding to stick themselves to the walls.â€Â

Lengas: “Oi, I won’t be spending this journey cluttering the ship up, again.â€Â

Jeb: “Hey, you’ve said so yourself that the cryopods seem safe enough. Why don’t you just freeze yourself this time round?â€Â

Lengas: “Because even though I won’t be messy this time, I’m still gonna work, plus the same as last time, I’m looking after the ship.â€Â

Jeb: “If that’s what you want.â€Â

Mac: “It might be in your best interests, Lengas, to use the cryopod this time… medically speaking.â€Â

Lengas: “Why’s that?â€Â

Mac: “You could fall ill and there’d be no-one up and around to help you.â€Â

Lengas: “I could just wake you or Ed up.â€Â

Mac: “Yes, but we’re all a bit sluggish coming out of those things, so we wouldn’t really know what was going on until, say, you’d been sick all over the bridge or something.â€Â

Lengas: “Is there something you’re trying to tell me, Mac?â€Â

Mac: “No, there was nothing wrong with your last check-up, I’m just voicing a concern.â€Â

Lengas: “I appreciate it, but I’ll be fine.â€Â

Mac: “Hmph, suit yourself.â€Â

Lengas: “Come on, I’ll help get the freezers set up for you guys.â€Â

S63LmEo.png

A few hours later…

lBoSemP.png

Bill: “Alright, that’s it, the manoeuvre node is set. Stanley, make sure it stays there.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Very well, Commander. Have a good sleep.â€Â

Bill: “You too – uh, never mind, Stanley.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “That’s ok.â€Â

Lengas: “You all set then, Bill?â€Â

Bill: “Aye, let’s get this over with. I’ll see you on the other side.â€Â

Lengas: “Yeah, be seeing you.â€Â

Bill’s pod shuts and whirs as it freezes its occupant.

Lengas: “Would you look at that, Stanley, it’s just you and me again.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “It would appear so. What’s your plan this time round, Lengas?â€Â

Lengas: “I’ve got to figure this gravity stuff out. It could take a while, but I’ve got to.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “I shall try to help where possible.â€Â

Lengas: “That’ll be interesting in the accreditation section of whatever report this goes into; a crazy engineer and a ship-based AI worked together on this.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Indeed.â€Â

Lengas: “So, where was I…?â€Â

2 years and one month later…

AaR3Msb.png

6gHqyMq.png

A few months later…

2WrT337.png

Xgqc66F.png

ANSI/Stanley: “Alert, cryostasis ceasing. Awakening crew. Lengas, I may suggest towels, again.â€Â

Lengas: “I was already on it.â€Â

zKIBRbo.png

Cal: “Ugh…â€Â

Jeb: “I… oh, we’re awake again.â€Â

Bob: “Hmm? Wait, don’t tell me…â€Â

Mac: “Is, uh.. is everyone feeling ok, you know… except for this sleeping sickness?â€Â

Jeb: “Yeah, I’m ok… uh, Lengas?â€Â

Lengas: “Towels. Here.â€Â

Jeb: “Ah, thanks.â€Â

Ed: “I think Buzz needs some medicine.â€Â

Buzz: “Would… be… nice…â€Â

Mac: “Come on, let’s get you to the sickbay. Ed, give me a hand.â€Â

Ed: “I… yeah, alright.â€Â

Bill: “I’m up! I’m up, don’t hurt me! I… uh… oh.â€Â

Cal: “Slightly overdramatic, Bill.â€Â

Bill: “Yeah…â€Â

Jeb: “Lengas, what’s the situation?â€Â

Lengas: “Stanley, rotate the ship to anti-normal. Jeb, to the bridge, if you would.â€Â

Jeb: “The bridge? Ok…â€Â

Lengas: “Actually, I suggest everyone comes and has a look.â€Â

A few murmurs sound off before everyone follows Lengas to the bridge.

Jeb: “Oh. Oh Kod.â€Â

NZqHb5U.png

Bob: “Well I’ll be damned.â€Â

Bill: “Mother of…â€Â

Cal: “Now if that isn’t a sight for sore eyes, I don’t know what is.â€Â

Jeb: “That’s it… that’s home. We’re here.â€Â

Lengas: “Just a few more hours and we’ll be in orbit.â€Â

Jeb: “I… I’ll be… I don’t know, I’m at a loss.â€Â

Bill: “I think we all are.â€Â

Lengas: “You should all see your faces. Brilliant.â€Â

Jeb: “Hey, it’s not like you’ve not felt anything over this.â€Â

Lengas: “You’re right, I’ve been overjoyed. I am overjoyed! I was just hit by it a day or two earlier than all of you.â€Â

Bob: “Wait, the ship held up fine?â€Â

Lengas: “Of course it did, I was looking after it, remember?â€Â

Bob: “But if that’s true, then where are all the papers that you no doubt left around the place?â€Â

Lengas: “I was tidy this time. Then I found out that I was writing myself into corners and I couldn’t actually get much further with the work. Turns out we actually do need to get inside a black hole in order to figure this stuff out, and I’m not sure about you guys, but that isn’t really something I’m willing to do just yet.â€Â

Jeb: “Maybe one day, Lengas. Maybe one day.â€Â

Lengas: “Perhaps. Kept me entertained, though.â€Â

Jeb: “I’ll bet it did. Right, well, I suppose we’d best make preparations for our homecoming manoeuvres, so let’s spruce up and get this show on the road.â€Â

od7fSc8.png

Towels, it took me a second to get that reference. The end is nigh, although i am definitely a fan of you now, Mason, will look out for more in future.

I do have something planned, (I've already made a start on it, actually) and hopefully it'll blow everything else I've done thus far out of the water. It won't be for a while, though. I've got quite a bit of work to do in both KSP and IRL.

Perhaps a teaser is in order at some point soon, though. We'll see :wink:

CHAPTER 66: HOMECOMING

5Maskef.png

NKpg76P.png

ANSI/Stanley: “T-minus 1 minute to atmospheric re-entry. The aerobrake may not put us into orbit on its own, so I advise that you remain ready to fire up the engine.â€Â

Jeb: “Understood.â€Â

Lengas: “Does control know we’re here?â€Â

Jeb: “I don’t think so… then again, they know everything. They’re probably watching us right now.â€Â

Bob: “I told them we were here when we were passing Mun’s orbit.â€Â

Jeb: “Oh… well, I guess that means they know we’re here.â€Â

Bob: “Yup.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Entering the atmosphere in 5 seconds… 4… 3… 2… 1… entering atmosphere.â€Â

Jeb: “Hold on to your hats, folks.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “External temperature climbing.â€Â

Lengas: “We shouldn’t blow up, by the way. Just thought I’d mention that now.â€Â

Cal: “Good to know...â€Â

Bob: “Damn, we’re gonna light up… like the Sun at this rate!â€Â

Bill: “We already… are!â€Â

Jeb: “Ugh… it’s getting a little… hard… to breathe…agh…

h3AwIEb.png

Lengas: “Hull integrity… at… 81%, everything else… is… nominal.â€Â

Jeb: “Just… a little more…â€Â

Bill: “Oh my Kod, this… is… horrible!â€Â

Bob: “It’s… been a… while… since we’ve had… such serious… acceleration!â€Â

Cal: “I hope you… don’t… mind… but I’m just gonna… pass out… alright?â€Â

Jeb: “Not just… yet… Cal… we’re nearly there… ugh...â€Â

Buzz: "AGH!"

Ed: "Frakking hell!"

Bill: "ARRRGGH."

Jeb: "Just... a little... MORE! Stanley?!"

ANSI/Stanley: “10 seconds... 9... 8..."

Buzz: "COME ON!"

Jeb: "Almost...!"

ANSI/Stanley: "... 3... 2... 1... We are now passing the periapsis. Altitude increasing.â€Â

Bill: “AGH... Thank… Kod… for that.â€Â

Lengas: “Hull… integrity at… 77.9%... OW!â€Â

Jeb: “Bill… trajectory?â€Â

Bill: “Let’s… see… uh, we neeARGH... we need the… engine.â€Â

Jeb: “Ok then… Lengas, is the engine ready... to fire again?â€Â

Lengas: “It... should be, but... are... you... MAD?!â€Â

Jeb: "Clinical nutcase! Watch out!"

ANSI/Stanley: "G-forces minimising."

AWs5Fao.png

Jeb: “Watch out, I’m swinging the ship around.â€Â

Bob: “Whoa, that feels weird!â€Â

Lengas: “Careful, you’re putting some hefty stresses on the structure, here!â€Â

Jeb: “Almost done, just… there! Here we go, guys!â€Â

qy1TlFJ.png

EjcwCqa.png

Bill: “That’s done it, Jeb!â€Â

Jeb: “Hold on, let me just go further…â€Â

gBb8ccS.png

Jeb: “…Done! That’s it, we’re in orbit, almost!â€Â

Bob: “Woo!â€Â

Cal: “I think I’m gonna be sick…!â€Â

Lengas: “Here’s a bag.â€Â

9IDHgo7.png

Jeb “Alright, I’ll sort out the inclination change in a minute. Everyone stay seated. Mac, is everything alright back there?â€Â

Mac: “We’re all good. Did we make it?â€Â

Jeb: “We’re in orbit with a few adjustments to go.â€Â

Mac: “Damn, nice!â€Â

Jeb: “Just stay put for now, I’ll say when we can move again, and then you and Ed can check everyone over. That wasn't the nicest aerobrake!â€Â

Mac: “Got it!â€Â

A few minutes later…

NzG2oZn.png

09orbjq.png

KJU8ftF.png

M62pSo1.png

6VZ1tSw.png

Jeb: “And that’s all she wrote. Folks, you may now remove your seatbelts, for we are sitting in Mid-Kerbin Orbit. We did it, guys!â€Â

Everyone cheers at the news.

Bob: “Oh man, we’re actually here, we’re actually home.â€Â

Bill: “Good thing, too; if I had to look at another trajectory plot, I may have jumped out the airlock.â€Â

Cal: “I think I may just rest my head for a bit, then I’ll celebrate more... ugh…â€Â

Jeb: “You do that. Bob, contact control. I expect they’re awaiting our signal.â€Â

Bob: “Hell yeah, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “Damn, we did it. Home.â€Â

rQbBvku.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.