Asteroids for free?

Hey pal!

I have a question, why do we "get" asteroids just out of the blue when we start up a new game in carrier mode?

What I'm talking about?

Well, in short now we get a bunch of asteroids around Kebrin, but would be more realistic/challenging, aaand also more fun, if you would need to place some device on a Kebrin orbiting satellite to actually spot those rocks.

SQUAD might award us some extra science points for spotting those over time (constant slow but steady science income problem could be solved this way).

Like WISE do in our world

250px-WISE_artist_concept_%28PIA17254%2C_crop%29.jpg

Give this thread a bump, if you like the idea!

Also thanks for reading!

i wouldn't mind having asteroids in other areas, such as in the space between jool and duna, where you need to send probes to detect them. have some f-i class asteroids out past jool for the hell of it.

In real life we can spot tons of asteroids from earths surface, so this wouldn't really be more realistic.

Yeah, the huge asteroids, which scale are more from several hundred meters to kilometres in size.

But for even an "F" sized asteroid, ground based telescopes are not really an option.

Personally, I wish that it would take Science to "analyze" asteroids and determine their orbital trajectory. Maybe only a small amount per asteroid, but I feel a little guilty about determining the exact position of fifteen asteroids before I launch my first rocket in career mode. That just doesn't seem to be realistic.

Yep, it's a good idea. And it was a good idea in the other 3 or more threads that presented the same concept.

I believe the devs have stated that they have some interest in creating space telescopes, for the purpose of discovering asteroids or other purposes. But "the devs have some interest in X" could be interpreted anywhere between "expect to see X in the next patch" to "X would be cool, but will never make it into the game".

Having a part that detects asteroids would be one step toward making satellites useful.:P

Exactly!

That's what I missing from stock KSP a lot!

There is no need to think, design, and carry out multiple missions to achieve a bigger goal, like in real world!

Yep, it's a good idea. And it was a good idea in the other 3 or more threads that presented the same concept.

I did not find those, before starting this one :)

Your tracking center is enough to spot an asteroid.

It'd be kinda cool if advancing in the tech tree also upgraded the tracking center though.

It'd be kinda cool if advancing in the tech tree also upgraded the tracking center though.

In my opinion, some kind of sensor would be great, to unlock, which would be the only predecessor for the "claaaaaw". :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.