Just got a ram upgrade from 6Gb to 12GB, more mods here I come!

WindShieIds

Moar RAM is a nice thing to boast about, but the practical value is often very small. I see people loading up PC's with RAM and never using it. For day to day use 4 to maybe 8 GB often is more than enough. 8 GB is enough for even most enthousiasts, while only people that do some specific (virtualization) or exotic things can use 16 GB or more.

ive probibly been running with 8gb since 2005. the 3 machines ive built since then all had 8gb. i've yet to find any reason to go beyond that much ram.

one thing i noticed while running ksp on linux64 is that many plugins were unstable to the point of being completely unusable. you might be able to pile on parts packs with impunity but some plugins just refused to function, and any parts that depended on them just wouldn't work. or worse they would just crash the game.

I'd agree with that Nuke. Only a subset of plugins work well on Linux. Personally I think Protractor is the only one I actually would find really useful, the other main ones like KER and Mechjeb with fine.

As for RAM, well any more than you actually use is a waste really. I've still only got 4GB in my desktop as it's still enough. I'm as surprised about that as anyone really, especially since I use it quite aggressively (zero swappiness, /tmp in ramdisk, etc). Windows could probably do with a bit more, but I don't use it much and I'm never multitasking in it.

Edited by Seret

Moar RAM is a nice thing to boast about, but the practical value is often very small. I see people loading up PC's with RAM and never using it. For day to day use 4 to maybe 8 GB often is more than enough. 8 GB is enough for even most enthousiasts, while only people that do some specific (virtualization) or exotic things can use 16 GB or more.

I do enjoy my free license for VMware Workstation. Nothing like having a Linux machine, a development machine, and my main PC all running at the same time on the same hardware.

Unity 5 will have 64 bit support, so you can use more than 3gb of RAM. Hopefully the devs will upgrade to it when it comes out.

Unity has 64 bit support already now. However it's so unstable on windows and Mac that the game would just crash all the time, so we don't have a 64 bit version for them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.