Rosetta, Philae and Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

Vicomt

"Comet landing already a disaster, say parking bores"

Men who claim to know about parking have been strongly critical of the techniques being used to place the Philae lander on a comet.

36-year-old Stephen Malley, who is following events online, said: “No, no, no, no. They are using way too much thruster...

Full article:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/comet-landing-already-a-disaster-say-parking-bores-2014111292689

I hope there isn't a server crash once it gets close and more people are watching.

On can't rule out a crash; but the feed comes via akamai. They usually have the resources and bndwdth to handle a lot of users. So I think we wouldn't see a overload of the content-delivery Infrastructure.

And they say people are uninterested in space... :P

I'm jealous of all you guys able to watch it, by the way. I even need to jump through hoops to be able to forum-post from work... video streams are right out. And even if I could make it work, the machine I'm on has no ability to output sound. :(

Edited by Streetwind

Just hit F5 if you have problems with connection/routing/etc to the live feed. It works fine.

It works fine for about 10-25 seconds, then bogs down again. Just like yesterday. Does anyone have the direct feed adress? I want to try to watch it directly from a media player, to see if that makes any difference. I can't seem to find the address though.

It works fine for about 10-25 seconds, then bogs down again. Just like yesterday. Does anyone have the direct feed adress? I want to try to watch it directly from a media player, to see if that makes any difference. I can't seem to find the address though.

You tried different browsers?

VPN connection to another server?

Live stream is here: http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

ps. for everyone else - if you'll scroll down you can see previous highlights.

pps. for me xkcd breaks more often than not :/

You tried different browsers?

VPN connection to another server?

As stated before, a different browser combined with another version of Flash seems to have done the trick.

That's the webpage, not the URL of the stream itself. The latter is useful to view the stream directly in a media player, rather than through a browser. Just that address will not work.

Is anyone else physically excited here? I can imagine a bit how people watching the moon landing must have felt. My extremities can't seem to keep still and my stomach seems to be crawling.

I am glued to the webcast and it has been on since the separation 6 hours ago. So damn excited and scared about what is happening next... I hope it ends like the curiosity landing. I so want to see a pic of the surface, I might be in my mid thirties I feel like a little kid heh heh.

Edit: here comes the exicting bit :) landing any time from now. Most likely in 20 minutes!

Edited by merlinux

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.