Rosetta, Philae and Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

Vicomt

I wonder if it slid off the crater's rim or cliff and then slid all the way down.

Edit: I guess that would have taken too long, but if it hit the cliff part way down it may explain the second short hop.

Edited by Tommygun

Again, link to the press conference brief: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79190-Rosetta-Philae-and-Comet-67P-Churyumov-Gerasimenko?p=1539616&viewfull=1#post1539616

B2Uz7tuIcAAsmIg.jpg

Possible landing location image. (blue)

I wonder if it slid off the crater's rim or cliff and then slid all the way down.

Edit: I guess that would have taken too long, but if it hit the cliff part way down it may explain the second short hop.

I doubt. It most likely just settled down in it's current position after first long jump. Anything that would include bouncing off the cliff would take much more time in such a low gravity.

Edited by Sky_walker

"sliding down" is a bad analogy i think, there is simply not enough gravity to do that. think of it more like a toy-baloon filled with air that jumps around on the floor, every litte force applied to it will change its position/orientation.

they even hope that using the instruments correctly will change the orientation again, that tells us how litte force is needed to make it move.

edit:

i also feel a bit sad for the team there, everyone is focusing on it not landing correctly, but most of the sience can still be done and we have pictures from the surface of the comet (like what we got from landing on Titan). still pretty good for a first attempt.

Edited by Geneborg

"sliding down" is a bad analogy i think,

It certainly did not slide off the rim. Terrain is very rough, with boulders in a size of lander itself. That's not a type of terrain you slide down through.

they even hope that using the instruments correctly will change the orientation again, that tells us how litte force is needed to make it move.

Philae was build to have a capacity of moving a bit. It has a flywheel (which in KSP you can use to move even around Kerbin itself) and a specially designed legs for small "hopping".

One thing is sure, that landing was very lucky. Impressive feat to design a lander that can even LAND on a slope

can they re-engage the fly-wheel to try a better orientation?

can they re-engage the fly-wheel to try a better orientation?

Read my press conference brief: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79190-Rosetta-Philae-and-Comet-67P-Churyumov-Gerasimenko?p=1539616&viewfull=1#post1539616

They say they might try to. But science comes first before any risky maneuvers.

It certainly did not slide off the rim. Terrain is very rocky, with boulders in a size of lander itself. That's not a type of terrain you slide down through.

Philae was build to have a capacity of moving a bit. It has a flywheel (which in KSP you can use to move even around Kerbin itself) and a specially designed legs for small "hopping".

well they specifically said they wont use the legs yet, and didn't talk about how they would use the flywheel. the scientist on the stage did seem keen on using the drill, though, even if it's risky. we will see, i guess they only have about 24-36 hours left on battery in this orientation and getting a sample, any sample, would indeed be great, but probably won't happen.

Who knows if they will risk to damage the craft using the drill/legs/flywheel/harpoons again or if they will decide to let it rest on the surface and hope for a new sun-angle in a few weeks/months.

Edited by Geneborg

Next update on Philae: 14:00, tomorrow.

edit:

i also feel a bit sad for the team there, everyone is focusing on it not landing correctly, but most of the sience can still be done and we have pictures from the surface of the comet (like what we got from landing on Titan). still pretty good for a first attempt.

Totally agreed.

Read my press conference brief: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79190-Rosetta-Philae-and-Comet-67P-Churyumov-Gerasimenko?p=1539616&viewfull=1#post1539616

They say they might try to. But science comes first before any risky maneuvers.

Thanks, I didn't notice you were actively editing that ;)

I still can't believe that did not result in a crashed lander.. there must have been so much luck involved to hit just the right spots.. whenever I land on a slope in KSP without SAS it's usually game-over ;p

Flywheel is SAS right?

And also thanks for keeping us up-to-date.. their video conference just randomly ended mid-sentence for me! The heck?

What a fantastic achievement hitting the mark on the first touchdown, and all credit to the team for doing this. The failure of the cold jet and the harpoons is a shame, and I've been trying to find details of the methods of propulsion they both employ. Does anyone have a source of information on the specifics of the systems? The length of inactive time in such a harsh environment must be a factor here.

Whatever the outcome, there is great science and lessons being learned despite what some quarters of the press are hinting at as failure. Once the passive science is done, I hope that they come up with something that could reposition the lander using the drill torque and other instruments to make a controlled jump. The landing legs are capable of doing this, but only two look to be in ground contact. The boom could possibly be used to nudge or even act as a counter mass for righting the lander if it does topple. Images this evening will hopefully reveal the landers true position.

Anyway, Philae is still functioning, and has touched down, so I'm sure that great minds are working on this phenomenal opportunity.

It's still exciting times.

We also had a "high" speed landing on Tempel 1. :D

Edit: and Jupiter

IMHO if your craft reaches the ground in several different places with different parts, you did not perform multiple landings, you crashed. ;-) on purpose or not.

I still can't believe that did not result in a crashed lander.. there must have been so much luck involved to hit just the right spots.. whenever I land on a slope in KSP without SAS it's usually game-over ;p

Why would it crash? It made a touchdown at less than 1 m/s into low density material. Even with its 100 kg, there should be no damage.

On a tangent,

Sky_walker, I cannot help but keep reading your signature as

Sky_walker said:

KSP mods download & tracking - Enable screams in IVA cockpit view - How to improve KSP - User Manual for Ariane 5

[stock Craft] Ariane 5 + ATV

The first time I did so, and clicked the link, I was hoping for a mod that generates Kerbal screams depending on their current mouth shape in IVA ... Now I'm kinda disappointed that the mod just puts the "A" in "IVA", not the "AAAAaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaAaaaaAAAaA!!!!", too.

Edited by Andersenman
fixed quote to match charset of new forum

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.