What system spec should I update and how much preferably?

The Vostro 230 has two memory slots and a 64 bit capable Core 2 CPU.

According to the service manual, it supports a maximum of 4GB of memory. Type is DDR3 1066MHz.

Further research shows the chipset used in this machine supports 8GB of DDR2 RAM. You need DDR3, which only supports 4GB of RAM.

Sorry but you are out of luck with upgrading that machine.

Suggest a whole new machine. If you buy Dell, or indeed, any other major name brand, you can get stuck on things like that since they sell a "package" rather than being more flexible.

(I buy dozens of machines a year for work).

Suggest if you are after a new machine, you would be better off going to a computer shop and buying something cheap, but upgradeable.

By the way, there is already a CPU performance chart for KSP. See here.

In my experience Dell will happily sell PCs in all sorts of different configurations under the same name. And yes, they are bad for having poor upgrade potential. For example it's not uncommon to see a motherboard in a Dell that clearly has space for four RAM slots, but only two slots are present. Cheapskates. Best thing may be to pop the cover off and take a look. Spare ram slots good, all slots full not good.

Yes I've been looking at that chart :). I'm not getting a new machine as income isn't that flexible. DDR2 is basically pointless now your saying. I am not running 64-bit but I do have the capability. I'll be updating as well as adding more memory.

LAST QUESTION: Should I see high/medium/no change if I update to 64-bit and add more storage?

Thanks all, you've been extremely useful.

Yeah, the prospect of upgrading that really isn't good, as is the case with many package deals like this. You probably could manage to upgrade it, but for the amount of effort it's probably worth getting a new system. Now, if you want to talk about getting a new PC, there are many, many (many) guides and builds out on the internet, so take a look around and make your choice.

EDIT: Well if a new PC isn't an option, you still will see more performance with 64-bit/RAM increase, but only because it means KSP will get all the RAM it can get, and other processes will too (esp. since you mentioned streaming). Storage isn't really a performance thing, but it definitely will be nice to have more than 24 GB left. And on that subject, have you tried CCleaner? It removes temporary files and stuff that aren't needed, and if you've never used it before that should free space up. And for speed in general, de-fragging (Smart Defrag being a good choice) your hard drive will help with speeds a bit as well. Though beware, the installers for both programs do try to get you to download unnecessary things, so be careful.

Edited by Weegee

If the motherboard will not support more than 4GB of ram, then an upgrade to 64 bit windows will not make a difference, BUT active texture management might.

One last thing : It might be worth a try to use a flash drive and readyboost.

Edited by Otis

Somewhat late addition, but:

Did you know that we have a 115 page long computer building and upgrading megathread going on the forums? The search tool is your friend... it keeps you from posting things in the wrong place, like making a thread with zero gameplay relevance in a subforum dedicated exclusively to gameplay questions. :P

Unity (the engine KSP is running) is only 32-bit anyway, so currently it will only max out at 4gB (3.5 useable).

Still KSP has more breathing room wrt RAM, on a 64bit/8GB system compared to 32bit/4GB. The difference is frequent crashed vs very few crashes due to out-of-memory, with quite a few mods installed. (no point in getting 8GB on 32bit hardware or OS).

Edited by rkman

Somewhat late addition, but:

Did you know that we have a 115 page long computer building and upgrading megathread going on the forums? The search tool is your friend... it keeps you from posting things in the wrong place, like making a thread with zero gameplay relevance in a subforum dedicated exclusively to gameplay questions. :P

Yes I did know! That's an extremely useful thread too. Also, in 32-bit programs can only take 2GB max of RAM. 64-bit removes this so I would think there would be an improvement.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

"24.5 GB of storage space"

That made my eyebrow go up so much I don't think it'll come back down!

That's how much he has left. :P

But yeah, you can get 64-bit but it won't help too much. It's probably best to wait for a new computer.

I know the necessary advisements are already made.

But I give it my take just in case.

First of all upgrading ram doesn't help in performance. But it will help in being able to run multiple more mods as ksp plugins uses RAM.

A thing about 32bit vs 64bit.

32bit windows means 2 to the power 32. It means the entire memory bandwith (adress space) over the system can take just under 4.3 gigabyte of memory. Roughly 4 gigabyte is mentioned by most people.

Windows itself however + any other applications also share that memory. Installing more memory on a 32bit os doesn't help as it won't read that memory. So thats roughly 1.5GB memory for the os and installed apps with 2.5gb of memory to spare for ksp. KSP and windows itself also has to share the GPU memory excluding that number from the available RAM memory and you end up with a relatively low number of available ram for ksp.

You may have noticed then when you read the system properties on a 32bit windows with 4 gigabyte ram installed is that it only displays around 3.5gb of memory (plus or minus) as a part of the available adress space is stored for the VRAM (video memory). That's why even with 6 gigabyte ram installed on a 32bit os the full 4.3 gb is never adressed purely to RAM memory. Actually it never reaches up to 4gb at all due to the other memory traffic in the system.

Installing a 64bit windows allows your system to adress more memory space. Thus you can now install anything over 4gb ram.

For example, you can now install 6 gigabyte ram and expect 2 gigabyte of this ram memory to be used for the operating system, running applications, and the video ram. So you are left with 4 gigabytes of ram memory for ksp.

KSP itself is a 32bit application. So it cannot use more then 4 gigabytes of ram. Even although the OS can, KSP cannot.

KSP will use that 4 gigabyte ram with shared address space for video ram which usually means ksp can use 3.5gb RAM before it shuts down.

Conclusion! Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit windows while upgrading your ram absolutely helps. Although I may have to conclude that upgrading memory for ksp only helps you at using more mods as stock (vanilla) ksp never exceeds about 1.8gb of ram) Upgrading ram doesn't improve performance by how many frames you'll get. If it's just ksp your interested in and your aim is cheap. And you want the full 4.3gb of memory adress space (roughly 3.5gb ram) for ksp reserved. You actually only need about 6 gb of ram (assuming your os and apps dont exceed over 2gb ram)

If it's pure about performance your CPU is the first computer part to be upgraded. And you have a relatively old platform. Meaning you can't upgrade to a much newer higher end cpu before exchanging many other parts like the motherboard, RAM memory, and possibly a new power supply to feed the new stuff. The videocard is less important for ksp. A budget $100,00 videocard should do the trick. Maybe for even less. And alot less if you buy one second hand.

As a temporary solution you can overclock your processor. This means you can let's say boost the performance of your processor to possibly gain higher framerates. Just tell me if your interested and I might hand over some articles to read. Warranty fails under overclocking though and it's not without risk. (although I don't presume you still got warranty on a machine that old)

Edited by Vaporized Steel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.