Banshee Mk3 - VTOL Gunship

The Banshee Mk3 is a short range, single engine VTOL gunship that will let you smite your enemies with fire, brimstone and missiles!

Armed with all new Dreadnought missile the MK3 has an effective range of 300m for moving targets and 1.5km+ for static ones. Working with the docking cam mod provides pin sharp accuracy and maximum damage. :cool:

A mission pack with three unique missions will let you sharpen your combat skills to a knife edge. This video was made with the Banshee MK2 but will give you a taste of the missions on offer.

The Mk3 comes in three flavours, firstly there's the Model T, an unarmed trainer version that swaps missiles for extra fuel. It's easy to fly, robust and combines solid performance with excellent endurance.

mt4gvTd.jpg

Next up is the Model M which trades accuracy and some stopping power for a larger clip size. It comes loaded up with 40 standard missiles, giving you a total of 20 salvos at an effective range of 50-150m. It's a good starting point for new pilots to learn their trade and it's recommended you get comfortable with this weapon before moving on to the next model.

qho6AcB.jpg

Last but not least is the DM Model, loaded up with the lethal Dreadnought Missile. This weapon is a real precision instrument best suited to sharp shooters with a steady hand and good eye. Capable of 800m/s at sea level the missile packs a devastating punch that will decimate almost anything in its path. As you may have seen in the video I managed to (with a fair bit of luck) down a target at 1.6km but I estimate the missile is still accurate to ranges of 2-2.5km! The drawback is you only get 10 salvos so choose your shots wisely.

gXaAgic.jpg

OWNERS GUIDE:

A joystick with a twist yaw is highly reccomended! Also while the craft is stock you'll need Romfarer's Docking Cam mod for targeting...

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/plugins/220272-lazor-docking-cam

...and Sam Hall's IVA Mod for, er, well, just download it.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mk2cockpitinternals/

CRAFT FILE:

http://goo.gl/tefhKC

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Jet

2 - Toggle Rockets

5 - Launch Mission (Mission Pack Only)

9 - Toggle Ladder

0 - Reduce Reaction Wheel Torque

SPACE/STAGE - FIRE!

ABORT - Jettison All Stores/Dump Drop Tanks (Warning should only be used in emergency's, due to a KSP bug strange things can happen!)

Flying combat VTOL's is perhaps one of the most challenging activities in KSP and one that I'd only reccomend to more seasoned players. It's gonna be hard going but keep at it, you'll get there! :)

Activate SAS on start-up and keep it on at all times.

Unless you're cruising always use the rockets and jets together otherwise you'll be fighting the lag from the engine.

The missiles themselves have some flex in them so you'll want to keep your flying as smooth as possible, especially when fully loaded.

The staging group number corresponds to the amount of ammo you have left.

The front docking port serves as the targeting point and is angled 10* downwards to ensure you get proper trajectories.

Where possible keep the same altitude as your target it'll take a lot of the guess work out of shooting.

You'll have to take into account your speed, your targets speed and the arc of your weapons all of this will come from practice, lots of it!

Don't engage too close, if you're shooting point blank your missiles won't have time to get up to speed and you'll lose a lot of stopping power.

Not unlike real life the missiles can sometimes malfunction, fail to penetrate or even pass straight through the target! Generally they're pretty good though.

With the standard missile you just have aim at the center of the target. With the Dreadnaught missile you have to actually aim bellow the target and keep dropping the nose as the distance increases.

vPjbK6A.jpg

MISSION GUIDE:

The mission pack is devided into two with the DM and M model ships. The amount of throttle you set on start-up will dictate the difficulty of the mission, the more experienced you are the higher you should set the throttle.

FFM - Fishfood Frenzy Mission

Difficulty - Easy

Objective - A train full of fish-food is running out of control, you must disable or destroy the waggons before they reach the sea. If not we'll have goldfish as big as whales!

Tips - Upon launch make your way to the front of the train and target the waggons closest to the engine. If you can sever the train at this point the remaining carriages will slow right down. While it's possible to destroy the train it presents a very tough target, I wouldn't recommend attacking it unless your other objectives are complete.

TAM - Tank Attack Mission

Difficulty - Medium

Objective- There are five tanks heading straight to KSC, stop them before they hit any of the buildings!

Tips - Try and get to the front of the convoy and destroy the lead tank, the debris will hopefully catch the one's coming up behind.

IMM - Infiniglider Mayhem Mission

Difficulty - Hard

Objective - A shipment of outlawed infiniglider technology is heading to KSC. Destroy the convoy before it reaches the space port and leave no trace of the infiniglider.

Tips - Infinigliders are dangerous, volatile and unpredictable, you'll want to save at least half your ammo to take it down. Use all the weapons at your disposal. If that fails try ramming the thing!

Good luck, if you have any Qs don't be shy! :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Those missiles pack punch. The gunship is awesome man, keep up the good work.

Thanks man! :)

Would you mind to tell me which the for the ''targeting'' is? :)

Awesome VTOL to! Keep it up!

Sorry, I didn't quite understand the question do you mind re-phrasing it? :P

Cupcake...

Really enjoyed the previous banshee models, I've had a go flying this one and it takes off very slowly, using the jet engine. It seems the rocket engines do not work, I have got some mods but none that I think would affect the rockets not working.

Really enjoyed the previous banshee models, I've had a go flying this one and it takes off very slowly, using the jet engine. It seems the rocket engines do not work, I have got some mods but none that I think would affect the rockets not working.

Hey there,

To activate the rocket engines you have to press 2 (or 3 for econo mode). The trainer model is light enough to get off the ground using the jet alone but the combat models will need the rockets as well.

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.