Docking problems.

So I'm trying to learn how to dock. I towed a "space station" segment in to orbit and released it. Now I'm trying to dock on it. I've been dry humping this thing all morning. I can get them to kiss. They seem perfectly a lined. They sort of stick to together. I've tried turning sas off. But they never seem to dock. Is there any thing which stops you from docking on an... inert object. I mean there is no one on board. No crew. No sputnik. Am I doing something wrong?

Lee

Sounds like you might have one of the docking ports facing the wrong way. That's suprisingly easy with the sr. ports.

Can you show us some screenshots of the docking ports? That should help diagnosing the problem.

As for your guess to the problem, no. You can dock with every kind of ship as long as it has a docking port

Here. This is a bit of a recycle off of a previous post of mine, but it seemed like a good place to start.

The junior and regular sized docking ports are reasonably obvious since each side is pretty distinct. The Sr docking port is a bit harder, because both sides are relatively flat. I've included the shielded docking port too, but that should be pretty obvious since you can only connect it one way.

Each docking port has a lighter ring on the docking side. Those two sides must meet at a reasonably flat angle for the ports to dock. You can be pretty far off, but if your ship is large then the ports will have a hard time swinging the ship around to lock.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If you are meeting up face to face correctly with the docking ports, then you may be experiencing one of the docking port bugs. In that case, you'll have to edit the save file, find the "broken" port(s), and edit the state to "ready" to reset them.

By the way, welcome to the forums! :D

I've always caught hell putting docking ports on certain parts, like the structural fuselage. I've never had a port work when attached to one. Ever. Also, ports on the ends of girders are cantankerous.

Don't know why, but if you are using those parts in your docking schema that might be the issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.