[0.90] TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (v1.50 - 2014-12-24 10:40 UTC)

Biotronic

In the SPH, when building a space plane, I was not able to attach any air intakes in mirror mode. I could hack an attach by going in singular mode and then grabbing a new part and attaching in the same place on the other side of the vehicle. However, upon launch, the vehicle was destroyed and on loading the auto save, the ship seemed to have lost its root node like from the original IR issue.

Cheers

I thought I was going crazy, every aircraft I've designed has been having this problem, but I couldn't figure out which mod in my install was causing it(Realism overhaul and 10x Kerbal RSS).

I believe there are two main problems here:

1. Some parts are incorrectly scaled as 'stack' while they would more correctly be classed as 'adapters'. Command Pod Mk1 and Mk1-2 Command Pod come to mind here. While you probably don't think of them as adapters, they have a wide end and a smaller end, and thus perfectly fit that category.

2. Adapters should automagically scale correctly in both ends. This is a somewhat involved problem, and would require some sort of configuration. I'll look into what can be done here.

In the meantime, and probably permanently, I'll be using some key to disable autoscaling. Expect that feature tonight (UTC) or tomorrow.

So I started implementing all of this, since I can't prioritize for ..... Good news is, it looks good. Bad news is, it'll not be ready today, and bug fixing will take longer. Trust me when I say it's high priority, but so is my work and the migraine that ate most of today.

As promised, here some pictures to show issues. First, the 'overweight' parts (here is a AA-BB radial decoupler from NovaPunch 2):

2im7ryv.png

Now, the explosion while setting focus on space station:

3c100.png

2mnolev.png

35hmwpv.png

The station after loading an old savegame (before tweakscale 1.47):

t64dxh.png

And here is the log associated with all this

Edited by pascalfritz

My apologies if this is already known issue, but I was trying to use the BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point yesterday and it kept scaling when attempting to attach it to something, which seems bizarre since it's precisely the kind of part to use to attach to something *other* than the size of what you want to attach to it. Scaling to the size of what's going to be attached to it makes sense, although kind of hard to do since you don't know that ahead of time, but scaling to the size of what you're attaching it to seems kinda weird to me. Radially attached things are generally expected to be a different size I would think.

EDIT: Oh, and this was with v1.46. Didn't realize there was a 1.47 out; you might want to update this thread's title.

Edited by Galatea

Since you have limited time, I understand that this is probably not a priority - but I was wondering if you would mind looking into the interaction between TweakScale and certain parts like wheels and landing legs. I get the impression (maybe others can confirm or deny) that scaled-up landing legs, for instance, basically lose all of their "give", or springiness, and end up acting more or less like solid rods. And the interaction between TS and some kinds of wheels seems to produce unusual power relative to the wheels' size (in some cases, maybe this is just lo-fi's tracks and whatnot, though). Maybe these could be fixed by SCALEEXPONENTS or something?

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for this very usefull add-on.

Yesterday, I update to 1.47, and after loazding my sandbox game, I found that my space station was a little bit different. It seems that elements were resized (especially, Stratus-V Cylindrified Monopropellant Tank). I keep on playing since everything else looks fine. I loaded a rocket and discovered that a radial decoupler was oversized so much that it disable rocket laucnh because of its weight. I went on and made some docking operations.

But this morning, I thought I had to make some pictures of it to show this issue. But as soon as I go to the station or use the last quicksave, the station simply blows up. While physics are back, KSP is discovering that monopropellant tanks are merged/in conflict, and the whole station is destroyed.

I guess I can recover the save made before yesterday, but I am afraid the same causes leads to same effects. I will try to provide pictures and/or log during the week.

Thanks again.

Having this problem too. Didn't get a chance to keep playing or anything, as the ship shakes violently and then shatters. Happened once for a ship in interplanetary space, managed to stage the offending part off the ship and continue on my way albeit with a.. different mission profile.

Happened again today for a massive ship about to reach Eve, whole thing explodes and leaves a single probe core plummeting to atmosphere. Gah.

Would it be possible to make TweakScale rescale parts on all the axis? Length, width, diameter. That would be an amazing feature!

Afraid not. Most parts would not look good stretched like that, so although this is an oft-requested feature, I'm probably not going to implement it.

My apologies if this is already known issue, but I was trying to use the BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point yesterday and it kept scaling when attempting to attach it to something, which seems bizarre since it's precisely the kind of part to use to attach to something *other* than the size of what you want to attach to it. Scaling to the size of what's going to be attached to it makes sense, although kind of hard to do since you don't know that ahead of time, but scaling to the size of what you're attaching it to seems kinda weird to me. Radially attached things are generally expected to be a different size I would think.

I'm looking into various solutions to the autoscale problems now. At least one of these should solve this problem in a neat way.

EDIT: Oh, and this was with v1.46. Didn't realize there was a 1.47 out; you might want to update this thread's title.

Done.

Your primary download link for TweakScale is invalid.

I've taken a guess, here is the valid link:

https://github.com/Biotronic/TweakScale/releases/download/v1.47/TweakScale_1.47.zip

Thanks. Fixed.

I'll also be adding KSP-AVC in the next version.

Also, I need a detailed how-to on getting the overweight parts. No matter what I do I can't seem to replicate this. So if anyone's feeling up to it:

1) List of mods involved. Should be as short as possible.

2) Exact steps taken, even if they seem

My current job is in QA. That means I write bug reports. Here's one. I don't expect anything as detailed, but I can assure you that a well-written bug report is priceless to a dev.

So I installed the latest version and got a bit of a surprise when switching to a craft I already had in orbit:

8ccfGxn.jpg

Yeah, that's not how I originally built it, with all the monoprop tanks and RCS blocks hilariously inflated. In fact, I'm not sure I even used Tweakscale on any of the parts on that particular ship (It's just a transfer stage). I'm not too worried about it, so I only post it here for the lols and any interest it may have for you.

I'm looking into various solutions to the autoscale problems now. At least one of these should solve this problem in a neat way.

What about not to autoscale? :)

It is a nice feature if it works, but still should be configurable.

Personally I don't like when the computer knows better...

What do you see that makes you think it's not compatible? They work together just fine for me.

Please test with the latest versions of the two mods in a new install of the game. Then post your Player.log and a description of what's happening.

sorry should have been more specific, when trying to attach a robotic part in the VAB it crashes to desktop. I have Linux and once I removed tweak mod the IR parts worked as should. I dont have a player.log file only a KSP.log

Also, I need a detailed how-to on getting the overweight parts. No matter what I do I can't seem to replicate this. So if anyone's feeling up to it:

1) List of mods involved. Should be as short as possible.

2) Exact steps taken, even if they seem

My current job is in QA. That means I write bug reports. Here's one. I don't expect anything as detailed, but I can assure you that a well-written bug report is priceless to a dev.

I reverted back to 1.44, but I can maybe help with this:

1. Lots of mods, unfortunately. But my immediate suspects would be MFT, or maybe TweakableEverything, GoodSpeed's autopump thing, or something like that, since I seem to remember there being a similar mass problem with MFT in the past (before 1.44, certainly).

2. Exact steps for me were simply: put tank in VAB, scale up and down. That's really it. I *remember* it applying to any and every tank, but could be wrong on that.

Any thoughts on landing legs/gear? And on Infernal Robotics - aside from the crashing bug others mention (didn't happen for me in 1.47), but instead the general impossibility of simply taking an IR part and assigning any scale values to it - currently this does not work. Posted at length with logs about this in the IR thread, no response there.

sorry should have been more specific, when trying to attach a robotic part in the VAB it crashes to desktop. I have Linux and once I removed tweak mod the IR parts worked as should. I dont have a player.log file only a KSP.log

Yes you do. It's under "Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log" apparently.

Can you confirm you don't have any rogue tweakscale configs (from earlier versions of TS) and that you've updated to 1.47?

cant send a log file because because the only one I have is a player.log and its a rogue file from the old windows install. The dev is going to have to look through the code and see any conflicts it has with IR. THis is something them 2 need to collab on.

Please make the auto-scaling optional.

This. Make it an option to auto scale. I want to turn it off, I find it so annoying even when it is right...

Also, the bug where the mass and other numbers are getting inflated or deflated to incorrect numbers for the appropriate scale can be re-created with nothing but Tweak Scale and MechJeb installed.

Start with a MK1 Command Pod. The one with a 1.25m bottom and a 0.625m top. Place a Small Inline Reaction Wheel on top of the command pod. Resize it up from 1.25m to 2.5m and the mass will go up. Resize it back to 1.25m and the mass will stay at what it was when it was at 2.5m. This can be repeated with pretty much all of the parts when connecting a part that is classified as a "stack" to another "stack" part. This bug can also be reversed by resizing from 1.25m to 0.625m then back again and the part will have an unusually small mass. I was only able to cause the bug to happen when attaching a "stack" part to another "stack" part. Seems to work correctly when attaching a "stack" part to a "surface" part such as an Octo2 probe core which probably should be classified as stack anyways...

Also, the Small Inline Reaction Wheel was changed from a 1.25m part to a 0.625m part in version 0.25 so the config should maybe be changed to reflect that? Some of the smaller probe cores are classified as surface and maybe should instead be stack or maybe not be configurable at all since there are probe cores for most sizes?

Here are some screen shots showing the bug with a different command pod and fuel tanks.

Before any changes are made the total mass is 3.28t

AUYEpIm.png

Sizing up make the mass go up to 19.03t which appears to be correct.

DK1cCMu.png

Changing the fuel tank back down to the normal size of 1.25m causes the extra dry mass to be retained from the previous 2.5m size.

KqhzaDr.png

Again this time going from 1.25m to 0.625m sizes.

OfLsxcA.png

hRimXKi.png

Edited by hazens1

Yes you do. It's under "Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log" apparently.

Can you confirm you don't have any rogue tweakscale configs (from earlier versions of TS) and that you've updated to 1.47?

never installed this mod before....downloaded it as a dependancy for IR, failed immediately....here is the log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prknoxeikfx3bzk/output_log.txt?dl=0

never installed this mod before....downloaded it as a dependancy for IR, failed immediately....here is the log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prknoxeikfx3bzk/output_log.txt?dl=0

Couple of things:

1, the most urgent is that you don't appear to have TweakScale installed (or at least, didn't when you ran this session). The dll isn't loaded, no patches are applied for it and IR can't find a PartModule called TweakScale. Please verify you have TS installed correctly.

2, This error appears several times:

XmlException: Document element did not appear. file:///C:/Program Files/KSP/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/PluginData/InfernalRobotics/config.xml Line 1, position 1.
at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Xml.EntityResolvingXmlReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Xml.DTDValidatingReader.ReadContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Xml.DTDValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Xml.Schema.XsdValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSP.IO.PluginConfiguration.load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MuMechToggle.loadConfigXML () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MuMechToggle.OnAwake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Object:Internal_CloneSingle(Object)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object)
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
:MoveNext()

Something has broken with IR and is best brought up with sirkut (if a clean re-install doesn't fix it).

3, RealRoster, RemoteTech and TST all throw various errors during start up (TST being the most urgent). As per proper bug-reporting guidelines, it helps to reproduce the bug in a clean environment (i.e. in this case, just TweakScale, IR and ModMan installed).

4, So this is what you need to do: Make a clean and untouched copy of KSP (Verify Game Cache or unzip a new copy). In the Gamedata folder, put in freshly downloaded versions of IR, TweakScale and ModuleManager. Then, try and replicate the bug. If successful, post your log.