The Rock Garden - shared save asteroid collection challenge

8XH2Lws.png

I think it would be a great project to gather a huge amount of asteroids in one place to build giant patterns. Seemore Kerman agrees and has selected the flat planes of Minmus as the place for the collection.

Current Project: Writing "KSP" in huge letters (letter length 100 meters)

The challenge will be realized as a shared save, were contributors take turns gathering asteroids and landing them at the site, and fulfilling other tasks or missions that arise during gameplay.

If you want to participate and the savefile is already grabbed, just leave a post below. To avoid confusion, frustration and parallel edits, i will maintain a list of waiting players and notify you when its your turn to go.

When you have the save, you have 48 hours to either:

- add an asteroid of size B or larger to the site, preferrably precisely placed next to another asteroid.

- or haul an asteroid of size B or larger into Minmus orbit (leaving it for others to land)

- or fulfill one of these current side missions:

• Using Seemore Kerman, plant flags to mark orientation spots for the letters K, S, P (the first vertical line of the "K" has already been marked)
  • design a skycrane/lander for D-class asteroid precision landings and place it in Minmus orbit
  • design a skycrane/lander for E-class asteroid precision landings and place it in Minmus orbit
  • design an asteroid pusher that can move asteroids around on-site (and optionally land it at the site)
  • place a refuelling station in Minmus or Kerbin orbit

In addition to returning the save file, you can put up a new side mission like repairing/asteroid relocation/Kerbal rescue/return to Kerbin missions if something did not go exactly as planned.

To keep the part count at the site low, please remove the vessels that delivered the asteroids from the site by whatever means you prefer (crash/terminate/move some kilometers away)

If you leave crafts as active flights, please make sure that they are stock. Exception: "Kerbal Engineer Redux" is allowed .

Current status: Waiting for contributors. I am currently pushing the project myself - Leave a message to participate

Edited by SirJodelstein
Update: some progress from myself

Mission Status overview

drb0FH2.png

Asteroids:

- 4 asteroid on-site (4x C-class)

Vehicles & Infrastructure:

- B-class skycrane with 17t of fuel in Mimnus orbit (medium docking port)

- C-class lander with 27t of fuel in Minmus orbit

- C-class lander (refueled) with >7000 dV in Minmus Orbit

Edited by SirJodelstein

Have you considered using a Kerbal Multiplayer Server to do this?

Yes. But due to the instability, extra whacky physics/sync bugs, object duplication and danger of server wipes, i'd rather keep this as a "semi-multiplayer" thing, in a save file that is directly under my control.

Anyway, i have moved this to the "mission reports" subforum. If anyone wants to contribute, visit this post instead.

Mods: Please lock this thread