Why are people so apathetic about space?

NASAFanboy

I just think people consider space to be a special interest group, and they don't realize how much of today's society is dependent on space.

As with many other things. On this forum we just tend to be interested in it.

How much do you know about container shipping? Agriculture? Plumbing?

I say that no one will be interested until we are on the tech level of star trek or star wars. that is my only problem with Sci-fi

At that point, people will probably be less interested. People would casually say things like "Se ya in a few years, I got assigned on a business trip to Titan." or "The Martian government imposed a new tax..."

The main 'exciting space age' for the public will probably be between the colonization of the moon/mars and the point where the outer solar system colonies start getting 5-digit population figures. Before that, not enough people will have gone into space for the public to take it seriously. After that, it all becomes normal life for everyone. The first interstellar expedition, the first discovery of microbial alien life and the first terraforming operations may kick off smaller hypephases.

I say that no one will be interested until we are on the tech level of star trek or star wars. that is my only problem with Sci-fi

At which point, there will be a sizeable contingent going 'meh - StarTrek did this 200 years ago. Wake me up when something cool happens.' I see a lot of this sort of techno-hipsterism on certain forums and it alternately infuriates and depresses me.

It's funny they don't like space but they love phones :)

This world is sad. I hate how everyone cares about their stupid "brad pitt" or "kim kardashian" The real celebrities are people like Micheal Collins or Elon Musk. Richard Branson or, most of all, Yuri Gagarin.

Edited by SemiaCloud

This world is sad. I hate how everyone cares about their stupid "brad pitt" or "kim kardashian" The real celebrities are people like Micheal Collins or Elon Musk. Richard Branson or, most of all, Yuri Gagarin.

Yes, it is sad that people will trust what they say more than what doctors and scientists say. In the end, their diety-like public appearance it is all down to media manipulation. See my earlier posts for when this could change.

Why live your life like sheep being herded from Shepard known as social media when instead you could make a difference in the world? and if everyone thought like that we would have bassicly nothing but stone caves and small fires because there to interested in what going on 5 caves down and not try to make everyone's life better but hey it's all about use isn't

Space exploration can also be quite boring. Images of bombarded cities like Gaza have a much stronger impact on humans than a bunch of scientists yelling at their computers.

How cool Curiosity is, the coolest visual during the landing was Bobby Fedaks haircut.

And I'm not sure if the majority should have to know space and space exploration. A lot of people don't know how to code computerprograms, or have any idea of how a computer works. Knowing how too code can change your quality of life, a small businessowner with some knowledge could easily build a CCTV system to protect his store.

Knowing the names of the Space shuttles doesn't really improve much.

A few weeks ago I got in a discussion with my Manager and the Assistant Manager about the Mars One program. Something I noticed is that older generations tend to know more about space than the younger ones.

The Manager, who is in her mid- fifties, I believe - knew exactly what I was talking about in terms of Mars, solar radiation, ect. She understood that making a round-trip to Mars is impossible given our current NASA funding and technology.

The Assist. Manager, in her late thirties - didn't know anything. I had to explain to her that Mars round-trips aren't possible. Her response was "Well, we went to the Moon and back, can't we go to Mars and back?" I did a little math and told her that it's like driving a car ten minutes down the road and back versus driving down to Florida and back with the same amount of gas. Then she asked, "Well if our planet is really going to die soon, can't we just find a more Earth-like planet and live there?"

My manager and I were both just staring at her in disbelief. Finding a "more Earth-like planet" has been a priority since the beginning of Astronomy... And she legitimately didn't realize that there are four terrestrial planets and no, none of them are like Earth.

Why live your life like sheep being herded from Shepard known as social media when instead you could make a difference in the world? and if everyone thought like that we would have bassicly nothing but stone caves and small fires because there to interested in what going on 5 caves down and not try to make everyone's life better but hey it's all about use isn't

Probably not exactly what you meant, but you do know people can go out and make a difference in the world, without wanting to expand space exploration right?

And I have to say I don't agree with you're second sentence either, were inherently social, it's seems pretty important for acting as part of a group, and caring about others.

I all of you people want to come live in Iceland (where I am), Not much people here know about spaceflight, but the population of Iceland right now is 323,002 so it should be easier to educate people/get them playing KSP.

Am I the only person here who realizes this thread was bumped from a YEAR ago just so he can ask us to live in Iceland with him?

Talk about a thread revive.

This thread is getting way too... conspiracy-ish.

When did KSP stop being a welcoming, kind community and turn into "we are superior because we know science and space, fear us"?

In the era of police and laws, the weak are not governed by the strong.

But at least I'm not being murdered by Bill from across the street, I think murdering me would be his third strike and he doesn't want to go to prison.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.