JoystickPrecision - makes precision control toggle apply to control axes

bawr

Tired of oversteering your craft with a joystick?

With this, when precision controls are enabled with [Caps Lock], joystick axes are scaled down by a half. Which means that you get double the precision, with half the control range.

For example, even when you tilt your joystick all the way up, pitch only goes to half the meter.

Made it for myself - but maybe someone gets some use from it as well. Placed in public domain.

Download:

JoystickPrecision v1.1

Edited by bawr

Note: this currently just does pitch, yaw, and roll, and doesn't touch the translation axes because I don't use my joystick for those.

If anyone wants this tweaked further, just drop me a line here.

God-send your mod good sir! I love my Joystick, so it can be frustrating that there isn't a way to immediately lower inputs in order to make it a little easier on some situations. Good examples are requiring hard control inputs for large vessels that turn very slowly, countered by tiny craft that spin like a top barely even touching the joystick.

As a side note, do you think it would be possible to use a secondary throttle control and tie it to the 'precision' controls as a variable? I know not everyone's joystick has one, but it would be very useful to be able to scale the control inputs via my currently unused dual-throttle's right side.

As a side note, do you think it would be possible to use a secondary throttle control and tie it to the 'precision' controls as a variable? I know not everyone's joystick has one, but it would be very useful to be able to scale the control inputs via my currently unused dual-throttle's right side.

Actually, I'm looking into that as well, for the same reason. I'll post here if I figure something out. :wink:

Excellent mod. Thanks for this. Now I can Yaw without panic.

I have a request. Maybe integrate it into the toolbar and make a variable adjustment slider for max and min values.

Edited by Prowler_x1

That's on my list, too. I was hoping not to do any GUI for now, since this is my second KSP plugin, the other one to show navball on the map also has like 25 lines total... but I see I just have to learn faster. :D

Ah yeah, this is just what I needed. I was thinking the other day that control is KSP is a bit tricky as movement around the neutral position seems to be sensitive at times, with the sensitivity backing off towards the maximum range of control deflection, which is exactly what I don't want - I want the joystick response damped around the neutral position for precise and smooth change. I thought that it was just my joystick with a non-linear response, but I guess not?

If such input tweaks are possible, I'd second/third the idea for controllable precision - I don't have a second throttle but I've got some unused buttons on my joystick, so user-definable increase/decrease precision buttons would be great!

Speaking of throttles, tweakable throttle precision would be handy for landers/VTOLs - I can't be the only one who dislikes faffing around with manually controlling engine thrust halfway through a descent to accomplish this?

Manually defining the shape of the pitch/yaw/roll response might be useful. Bonus points for a per .craft implementation.

The accountant of my space program's widow and orphan fund thanks you for this plugin!

Ah yeah, this is just what I needed. I was thinking the other day that control is KSP is a bit tricky as movement around the neutral position seems to be sensitive at times, with the sensitivity backing off towards the maximum range of control deflection, which is exactly what I don't want - I want the joystick response damped around the neutral position for precise and smooth change. I thought that it was just my joystick with a non-linear response, but I guess not?

Spot on. I've been having the same impression and I created this as a quick fix before I figure out a proper way of doing things.

If such input tweaks are possible, I'd second/third the idea for controllable precision - I don't have a second throttle but I've got some unused buttons on my joystick, so user-definable increase/decrease precision buttons would be great!

I've been thinking about that and I don't see a clean way of handling the issue... yet.

One idea is to roll my own "select axis / button" window, which would be a pain, but should be doable. Only I really don't want to do much, if any, GUI stuff.

Another idea is to use stock KSP controls, dynamically unbind them (yeah, fun all around, but at least I get the KSP binding GUI), and basically roll my own replacement for control axes. Under that scheme you'd bind your staging axes as usual, except in the actual game we'd use "throttle (incremental)" axis and *secondary* throttle up / down keys to control precision/scaling of the control axes instead.

Speaking of throttles, tweakable throttle precision would be handy for landers/VTOLs - I can't be the only one who dislikes faffing around with manually controlling engine thrust halfway through a descent to accomplish this?

I'm not sure what you mean here - would you like to use the same scheme as for the control axes? Limiting the max value, but increasing the precision?

Manually defining the shape of the pitch/yaw/roll response might be useful. Bonus points for a per .craft implementation.

That's what I'd like ideally, but it won't happen soon. Version 2.0, ideally.

FYI Do you need to really set every frame? Maybe try to register for a event event.

I'm not sure how I could do that, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be happy to catch a precision toggle event instead.

Spot on. I've been having the same impression and I created this as a quick fix before I figure out a proper way of doing things.

Glad I'm not just going mad! :D

I've been thinking about that and I don't see a clean way of handling the issue... yet.

One idea is to roll my own "select axis / button" window, which would be a pain, but should be doable. Only I really don't want to do much, if any, GUI stuff.

Another idea is to use stock KSP controls, dynamically unbind them (yeah, fun all around, but at least I get the KSP binding GUI), and basically roll my own replacement for control axes. Under that scheme you'd bind your staging axes as usual, except in the actual game we'd use "throttle (incremental)" axis and *secondary* throttle up / down keys to control precision/scaling of the control axes instead.

I have no experience or knowledge on actually creating/manipulating GUI stuff, so I'll leave the guts of achieving this for the technically experienced folk. I have no idea if one method would be preferable to another, however many people and mods seem to use the toolbar plugin now, so if you do make your own GUI, that would be the most obvious home for it.

I'm not sure what you mean here - would you like to use the same scheme as for the control axes? Limiting the max value, but increasing the precision?

Yes, essentially. For instance or a lander I might have a Mun TWR of 3-4 at descent burn and deceleration, but for putting it down gently it would be handy to have a toggle to reduce the maximum value down to TWR of 1.2, as an example. This can be achieved by using the tweakable thrust level on the right click menu in game, but on a lander with more than 1 engine this quickly becomes impossible mid-descent.

That's what I'd like ideally, but it won't happen soon. Version 2.0, ideally.

Excellent!

For instance or a lander I might have a Mun TWR of 3-4 at descent burn and deceleration, but for putting it down gently it would be handy to have a toggle to reduce the maximum value down to TWR of 1.2, as an example.

There's another lovely idea - specifying the limit by TWR, not by thrust percentage. I'll see what I can do.

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.