[0.24] Spaceplane Plus 1.3

Porkjet

Big connection nodes might make it rather hard to get payloads positioned in the cargo bays... they might be trying to snap to the lower of the two big overlapping nodes.

Actually I already have problems doing that with the 1.25m node size... I had made a non-space plane with the cargo bay to drop a little ground repeater station (for RT2 -- too bad we don't have a bomb bay :wink:), and it took me literally ten minutes of fidgeting with it to get it to connect to the interior node..

I haven't had any structural issues with the current node size, though I do tend to add a few reinforcing struts out of habit from back before they made joints stronger.

Yeah, if I strut like it's 1999, errr I mean like it's 0.23 or earlier, it's fine.. but the parts are so elegant and flowing that the little tiny struts stick out like a sore thumb (which isn't the case with the kinda rougher/blockier looking stock parts).

That and the parts ARE about 2.5m across and about 1.5-ish tall... that's close to 2.5! Kinda! :)

Yeah, if I strut like it's 1999, errr I mean like it's 0.23 or earlier, it's fine.. but the parts are so elegant and flowing that the little tiny struts stick out like a sore thumb (which isn't the case with the kinda rougher/blockier looking stock parts).

If you rotate your strut endpoints sideways, you can make them flat to the surface so that they don't protrude much. It's possible to put lots of struts on a plane and have them not disrupt its beauty.

Especially if you get really good at tucking them away inside seams or gaps. :)

I strutted this one to heck and back trying to solve a problem and even then I don't think it's that bad...

tdQIpY5.png

l4ktmjb.png

Edited by RoboRay

1. Wouldn't it be better if the connecting nodes were 2.5m-sized? ...

I made this for my self cause I also prefer 2.5m nodes on mk2 plane parts.

@PART[mk2_1m_Bicoupler]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.9375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom01 = 0.625, -0.9375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom02 = -0.625, -0.9375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}

@PART[mk2_1m_AdapterLong]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[mk2_1m_Adapter]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.9375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.9375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[mk2CargoBayL]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 1.875, -0.15, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -1.875, -0.15, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}

@PART[mk2CargoBayS]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 0.9375, -0.15, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -0.9375, -0.15, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}

@PART[mk2Cockpit_Inline]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[mk2Cockpit_Standard]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
}

@PART[mk2CrewCabin]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[mk2DockingPort]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.625, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.625, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
%toggleActionName = Toggle Docking Port
}
}

@PART[mk2DroneCore]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.125, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[mk2Fuselage_L]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[mk2Fuselage_LFO]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[mk2Fuselage_Short_L]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
}

@PART[mk2Fuselage_Short_LFO]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
}

@PART[scramAirIntake]:AFTER[SpaceplanePlus]:NEEDS[SpaceplanePlus]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.625, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}

Be aware! If node position are changed in some new release, this will revert node positions to current state (v 1.3).

Edited by uraa

If you rotate your strut endpoints sideways, you can make them flat to the surface so that they don't protrude much. It's possible to put lots of struts on a plane and have them not disrupt its beauty.

Especially if you get really good at tucking them away inside seams or gaps. :)

I strutted this one to heck and back trying to solve a problem and even then I don't think it's that bad...

http://i.imgur.com/tdQIpY5.png

http://i.imgur.com/l4ktmjb.png

I'm always looking for more aesthetic tricks. Do you have any of closeups of your struts?

I tend to just put my struts all underneath and make radial patterns wherever possible.

4942B64E6C16717E749256898AB4C79E68C69F7E

Great mod would be great if you could take over the B9 mod nobody seems to be updating it anymore. Keep up the good work I'm sure it will overtake B9 as new parts are added. Dowloading :)

Space plane parts isn't showing in the hanger after I did a restart. KSP did an update today to 0.24.2 maybe it broke it.

FIXED

catalog mod needed updating.

Edited by LMA

Regarding the "crashed into runway" issue:

Happened to me again, here some pics:

0FEpxQB.jpg

Luckily, I have an escape system since last time ;)

UqgrL1k.jpg

Anyway, it happened under similar conditions as last time, physics time acceleration seems to be the cause. This time it was in athmosphere, last time in orbit. I don't really think that this is a SP+ related bug, but who knows what kind of Kraken hit me there.

And while I'm at it, here's another small science SSTO, capable to reach anything within Kerbin's SOI.

WnZqeeg.jpg

Love this mod :)

That sir, is some quality strutting. I think I see a pair at the back, and a couple on the leading edge, but they're very subtle. I like that engine nacelle at the back, by the way :)

I'll have to practice up my hidden-strutting-fu.

I made this for my self cause I also prefer 2.5m nodes on mk2 plane parts.

Nice! I'll give that a shot, thanks for sharing it :)

Nice, but how does the parts behave in tight manuevers?

I tend to rip of the wings of my constructions, even with struts.

It's completely stiff, and holds up fine even at 4x warp re-entry. It weighs >45 tonnes so it handles more like an airliner than a fighter jet.

I don't think I've ever had an aerodynamic failure using the stock physics on any of my aerospace planes. The worst I've ever encountered is flapping of an entire wing even when strutted.

It's completely stiff, and holds up fine even at 4x warp re-entry. It weighs >45 tonnes so it handles more like an airliner than a fighter jet.

I don't think I've ever had an aerodynamic failure using the stock physics on any of my aerospace planes. The worst I've ever encountered is flapping of an entire wing even when strutted.

That is impressive, but what about a FAR testflight? Still stiff, and able to fly tight manuevers?

That is impressive, but what about a FAR testflight? Still stiff, and able to fly tight manuevers?

I haven't used FAR since 0.24 so I have no idea.

On another note, are these parts working on 0.24.2?

I normally am absolutely horrible when it comes to making spaceplanes, but this pack has got me back into the business. Am currently designing a new SSTO shuttle in an odd design. I love the cockpit with two ends, and made a stubby winged shuttle design with the cockpit just in front of the engines and behind the cargo bay. It looks interesting to say the least, and hopefully I'll get it off the ground soon once I get the landing gear set up right.

Are there any mods out there that can help figure out if a build will work ok while still in the SPH, rather than loading it up and testing every little tweak? I don't use FAR, as I have always been happy with the quirkyness of the stock physics and aerodynamics, so I don't have any of the special build tools of that.

I normally am absolutely horrible when it comes to making spaceplanes, but this pack has got me back into the business. Am currently designing a new SSTO shuttle in an odd design. I love the cockpit with two ends, and made a stubby winged shuttle design with the cockpit just in front of the engines and behind the cargo bay. It looks interesting to say the least, and hopefully I'll get it off the ground soon once I get the landing gear set up right.

Are there any mods out there that can help figure out if a build will work ok while still in the SPH, rather than loading it up and testing every little tweak? I don't use FAR, as I have always been happy with the quirkyness of the stock physics and aerodynamics, so I don't have any of the special build tools of that.

if you dont have Far therefore its Charts, you can use kerbal engineering redux, which will display a bunch of info, it is more usefull for rockets, but its better then nothing. i do reccomend NEAR aerodynamics though, it works great with this mod, not only makes aerodynamics a bit more plausable, its also fun and most importantly EASY.

and a question, anyone have a fix for firespitter dll compatabilty with 24.2?

RCS Build Aid is good for displaying both your full CoM and empty CoM at the same time so that you can ensure CoL is behind both of them. It is also good for fine tuning your RCS translation.

I realize it's Spaceplane Plus and not Rover plus, but I noticed a slight problem with the integrated ladders on the command pods. What will happen is that an EVA kerbal can descend perfectly well, but will not be able to get up again. There seems to be a disconnect in the climb between the ladder attached on the side and the integrated ladder on the pod, and the kerbal simply falls off when he gets to the top of the attached ladder.

73734385A4539D37EE2E55776F882A86CFCC3D9C

I realize it's Spaceplane Plus and not Rover plus, but I noticed a slight problem with the integrated ladders on the command pods. What will happen is that an EVA kerbal can descend perfectly well, but will not be able to get up again. There seems to be a disconnect in the climb between the ladder attached on the side and the integrated ladder on the pod, and the kerbal simply falls off when he gets to the top of the attached ladder.

Use the longer ladder and angle it slightly outwards (not vertical, but gently sloped away from the ship). I don't have a problem when it is set up that way.

Not sure that's SP+ related (though i guess it could be). I had a similar issue with a plane made out of stock parts. I put those ladders on using symmetry, and the left one was unusable (same problem you describe), but the right one worked flawlessly. Not sure if that helps, but thought I'd point it out.

Edited by Beachernaut

I have a feeling that it's not SP+ related. In my experience transitions from ladder to ladder get iffy whenever the angle between them is much greater than 45 degrees in any single direction. Not sure about combined rotations, as I generally try to keep the angle change from ladder to ladder to a minimum anyways. If you have to have that ladder going straight down, I would suggest using a small stationary ladder to act as a transition between the pod's ladder and the telescopic one.