The Space Jet

Hello there Challengers, this is a fairly basic yet complex challenge.

Oh, the challenge?

Run a Turbojet above 100000 M from kerbin

the way people will be ranked is like this:

your score is the length of time you have run your engine for in space!

the rules are as follows:

No Cheating

Stock parts only

Screenshots must be posted showing the altimeter, the resource panel and the engine stats with engine output being verified

Turbojets ONLY

Engine must be run at 100% Throttle for duration( start time for engine is included in this time, engine does not have to reach 100% output but throttle does have to be at 100%)

For example:

2014-05-21_00006_zpsa94cbb99.jpg

Le Spacejet! output 100% for 13 seconds(rounded)

So, all that remains is this

Have fun, and GOOD LUCK!:cool:

Alright, there must still be something I'm missing.

I put on some stupid number of intakes, giving me a capacity of 200 air. On the launchpad, it was jumping around between about 60 and 75. At liftoff (jet engine off, just using rockets), it started to go up a bit, but after reaching about 90 it started going down again. By the time I left the atmosphere it was down to 0.

So I set up an action group to CLOSE all of the intakes. After they reached 90 during liftoff, I closed them and they stayed at 90.

Out of the atmosphere, that 90 air allowed my turbojet to run for 30 seconds. It consumed fuel and air, the status said Normal (not Flame-out), and my throttle was 100%, but the thrust generated was 0.

What's the trick to make it generate thrust?

OK, so just to clarify:

it is the amount of air STORED in the intakes, you need them closed when in space

And also to clarify: you do not have to get INTO space on jets, what was attached to the radial decouplers were SRB's to get it into space, this is purely to see who Gets the longest flame duration in space, considering you would have to have a stupid amount of intakes to run it longer, and a even more silly launching mechanism.

It may be just my opinion but I think you cannot run a jet engine in vacuum without cheating. The intake air storage is just the game's hack allowing it to transfer the air from the intake to the engine, they are not meant as air storage devices.

Apart of that, I think this is just about how many parts can you mount to your ship before your PC bursts in flames.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.