Contracts and Organic/Intuitive Game Mechanics

Perhaps my favorite thing about KSP is how intuitive/organic much of the game is implemented. The VAB/SPH is probably the single best example - it really appeals to Lego-style design, while still making complex/interesting/unique craft possible. I also love the map mode, with patched conics and maneuver nodes. Obviously, these things can always be polished, but the central idea behind them is fantastic.

Science, Contracts, and Funds, and Reputation are essentially a meta-game on top of craft design and piloting. I think the system (as far as we understand it) has a lot of potential. I'd love to start some discussion on how these features could be implemented in a way that is creative, organic, and intuitive. I'll start with a few of my thoughts, what I imagine it might be like:

Science- I don't see too many changes coming to science, other than the addition of biomes outside of the Kerbin system. I'm still curious if there are some small adjustments or features that would make it a bit more lively/interactive.

Contracts- My fear is that contracts could just turn into lifeless, randomly generated missions like "Launch 5 Kerbals into LKO," "Land a probe on Tylo," "Achieve orbit around Eve." I'd love to see contracts that perhaps have a "backstory" or description, with unique, creative goals. Perhaps Rocktomax (or some other Kerporation) wants a simple communication network in LKO - 3 satellites in the same orbit, spaced out. Or a contract to explore a certain biome on Duna with a rover. Or to design a reusable craft. (I'm struggling to think of ideas at the moment - I need something to eat!).

Funds- I have seen two basic ideas: A budget-per-mission system, or a total "bank account" system. At the moment, I'm somewhat favoring the per-mission system, even though it's somewhat unrealistic. I think the tech tree/Reputation system would contribute to the sense advancement and improvement in the program. I could see it either way. Also, I don't want a cheesy name for Kerbal currency. Just stick with "Funds."

Reputation- I get the sense that it will be a meter, with failures/loss of life pushing it down, and success bringing it up. Seems fairly simple.

I just think that a solid meta-game is really important. The gameplay can be great, but a bland or cumbersome meta-game is a big turn-off. I'd love to hear your ideas about the system. How do you see it shaping out overall? How will individual contracts function? Any ideas for specific goals for the contracts?

About - CONTRACTS - I share your fear about the lack of lore in the contracts system. I know it will feel that way in the beta release (as it does with sciencs flavor tecxts), but I also think that background text can be kept for the "big polish of 1.0. If it isn't done for 1.0, it will be a big let down, making this part of the game quite lame. OTOH, as things are now, I would be ok with 0.24 coming with no flavor text.

As for the objectives, I really do not see what could we get exept "achievements" objectives such as those you suggested. I would be a good incentive to test some designs you just wouldn't have thought of by yourself. Maybe some more commercial services could be asked of you (such as "plug our 3.5t snack dispenser on the last docking port of your station") since the game tracks your progress and if it is precise enough to ask such precise things.

The incentives provided by contracts could be interesting because it also could mean missions with mixed interests, like some sort of sponsoring (ie. I want to sell "Slurp"tm on Jool, and you can slap some science equipment on the back of the billboard).

As far as - SCIENCE - goes, I do not give up as long as automation is still considered by SQUAD (ex : a gravioli reading costs 250 E with a comm16. you activate the automatic science readings, and if the probe have enough E, it sends the data. Rinse and repeats itself). I think that "more biomes" and "no science button mashing" should be made in the same update together, but not necessarily this one. Contracts and budgets seems quite like a big load enough.

REPUTATION : I just hope it will be nice. I lack forsight to tell what SQUAD is going for, but I cannot think of a good thing if reputation is like a single mesure. I only can think of a faction (kerporations?) related type of rep that would work, and only if it influences gameplay (for instance, probe fans may have good rep with Kerbodyne, and spaceplane enthusiasts with C7. SSTO Builders may have bad rep with rockomax :-P )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.