Two problems

I currently have two problems. One in the VAB and one in actual gameplay.

The VAB-problem is this:

I designed a modular spaceship.

Not "modular" in that it is assembled in orbit, but modular that it consists of parts that are combined through subassemblies in the VAB.

So now I have a nice ship that actually works and does what it is supposed to. Except that the "root" part (the part you can click on and move the whole ship in VAB without SHIFT) is a superfluous decoupler on top. And that I'd like to get rid of without rebuilding the whole ship.

Is there a way to do this? I seem to remember a thread about this but somehow can't find it again.

The second problem is in gameplay.

With some ships, the game freezes every few seconds for a second or two.

A while back there was a similar problem but then it was the ISA Mapsat. Which I don't have on those vessels.

But what I do have - and will test next - is a SCANSAT part. Could it be that this is the problem? It is no mapping part, just the SCAN MapTraq.

As KerbMav mentions, Selectroot does exactly what you want.

If you don't want that, you can replace the decoupler with some lower mass part (a probe core, maybe?), Just disconnect the whole ship from the root part, delete the root, then add the new root part and reconnect the ship under it. Save your ship before doing this, just in case.

Except that the "root" part (the part you can click on and move the whole ship in VAB without SHIFT) is a superfluous decoupler on top. And that I'd like to get rid of without rebuilding the whole ship.

To get rid of it in current construction:

- put it on your ship with the decoupler

- grab it by the first part below the decoupler and put it "in the air"

- delete the decoupler

- grab the flying part and attach it back

To get rid of it for the subassembly:

- place any root part in VAB.

- attach the subassembly including the decoupler

- grab the first part below the decoupler and draw it over the subassembly's entry in the list

- confirm overwrite

Great! Thanks, will try that one. Apparently old but seems to be still working.

Regarding 2:

Only very big ship with Kerbin in the background?

Outdated mods with lots of calculations going on?

The starting vessel is huge. But the vessel that I actually noticed this was not that big.

It does employ a few mods but none of them old (except maybe Mechjeb. It seems I am always a bot behind on the newest dev-version. 2.2.1 it says.)

The rest is KAS, Kethane and the ScanSat. My suspicion is that the latter is causing the problem. Like the ISA MapSat did a while back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.