KRF Formula K Championship

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Kerbal Racing Federation's Formula K Championship!

Formula K is the ultimate racing category of Kerbal motorsport.

Only the best can make it, and only the best of the best can win.

Do you have what it takes?

About the competition:

The scoring system is rather simple:

1st: 25pts

2nd: 18pts

3rd: 15pts

4th: 12pts

5th: 10pts

6th: 8pts

7th: 6pts

8th: 4pts

9th: 2pts

10th: 1pt

<11th: 0pts

Reigning champ is GROOV3ST3R.

Please note: If you participated in the previous championship for more than one race, you must design a new car.

Below are the Regulations and the Plugin Pack that is required.

The cars must be built to these regulations.

Yes, they are strict, but it ensures that the competition is close.

REGULATIONS FOR FORMULA K CARS:

Command / Structure:

1. Command

1.1. Must be driven by a Kerbal in an EAS-1 External Command Seat.

1.2. Only 1 Kerbal and 1 seat are permitted.

1.3. In order for RCS (see Powertrain: 2) to work, you must drive in Docking Mode.

2. Structure.

2.1. Kerbal must be safe from front and side impacts, and safe from rolling.

2.2. Minimum weight of vehicle is 0.9t with EMPTY RCS tanks. (see Powertrain: 2)

2.3. Main body must be created from Pocket I-Beams and at least 1 1x1m metal plate.

2.4. You are allowed 10 Cubic Octagonal struts between the front and rear wheels. An unlimited number are allowed before the front wheels and after the rear wheels.

Powertrain:

1. Must be powered by four (4) RoveMax Model M1. No more, no less.

1.1. All wheels may be powered and steerable.

2. One (1) FL-R10 RCS tank is permitted, along with three (3) Place-Anywhere 7 RCS ports. Maximum RCS amount is 30 units.

Aerodynamics:

1. Seven (7) Small Control Surfaces permitted. 4 are to be at the front of the vehicle, and 3 are to be at the rear.

- Alternatively, you may replace 3 of the front small surfaces with a large surface. This is not permitted at the rear.

ALL downforce items MUST be in front of the front axle / behind the rear.

1.1. Control Surfaces MUST be locked.

Visuals:

1. Other mods are permitted for visuals, but if I decide that they give you an advantage, they must be removed or the vehicle will be disqualified.

Races and entry:

Races will start from a standing start, and using the MET timer, racers will complete one timed lap of the circuit.

They must use the PersistentTrails mod, included in the package.

On entry to the competition, racers will need to provide a screenshot of their vehicle in the editor, along with a name of their company/team and the designation of their car.

In each race, 3 screenshots are required:

- MET Start Time

- MET Finish Time

- PersistentTrails track.

This will verify your lap time and your route, to check if you've cut the corners.

Using the grey brick walkways as part of the track is permitted, but using the grass is not.

You must start your lap perpendicular to the start/finish line.

At the closure of each round, total points will be tallied. At the closure of Race 5, a Top 3 will be appointed and they will be able to receive an image to place in their signature, if they wish.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wm7weiqy51fztg1/bX26bCOfGb

I hope to see many people join.

This thread is for discussion, car designing tips, rule discussions and possible changes, car releases, and eventually a race or two. Other races will go in other threads.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Kyrian.

As for the "OP must show that challenge is possible" rule, I will enter all 5 races.

Edited by Kyrian

Kyrian, why are we using Ferram Aerospace version 0.12.4 instead of version 0.13.3? Anyway, I will create my car from zero but it will probably have some things in common with the last one.

The latest news is that Heikki Kerman has negotiated an extension to his contract with DP Racing, and will continue to race for them in the upcoming season.

The car will come Sunday evening (UK time). I'm starting from scratch with the design of the DP-02, so I'll need to do a lot of testing.

I think i found a design flaw...

c1bELgV.png

It destroys Kerbin.

So basically, i found a way to destroy a planet with two vehicles and a AGU without intending to find a way to destroy a planet.

But it only destroys the planet if the F1 hooks itself to the truck, if the truck itself decides to hook up to the F1, Kerbin is still intact

Edited by KotDemopan

I think i only "might" be ready, depends on if the 2.3rd rule means chassis, not the "part behind the front wheels and infront of the back wheels", beause that part is connected to the chassis which is made of 3 pocket I-beams.

Even if the rule means the latter, i feel like its gonna be easy to redesign, but its gonna boost up the part count atleast a little bit.

And last time i checked, there isn't a rule that says "The car must not have the ability to destroy a planet."

Edited by KotDemopan

I guess i could try replacing the 650-beams. I already got 4 1x1Ms

Edit: the front and back 650s that are ontop of the 1x1s make the front and the back part, good thing the rules don't say "only Pocket I-beams and 1x1 plates"

Edited by KotDemopan

Venom Update 1.01:

Most 650-beams changed with Pocket I-beams.

Added 2 cubic struts to fit the 2 new solar panels on the side.

12 more parts.

Name changed to reflect the part count.

Both the look and the name give more hints to the fact its based off of a old F1 Lotus. (though based more off of a later model)

[OUTDATED PICTURE]

EDIT: Update 1.02

Replaced the small control surface with a Double-C accelerometer

[OUTDATED PIC 2]

Update 1.03

More FAR tolerance!

2 additional parts!

9cQhzBC.png

Edited by KotDemopan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.